Pocahontas gets smack down from Cherokee Nation.

Hannie Caulder

Just how accurate is 23 and me?

maybe 1/1024 is inflated, I wouldn’t be surprised if she had 0.000% native ancestry.

besides, there is no “Cherokee” genome, “Apache” genome, “Indian” genome. At best it is a regional distinction.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ItnStln said:

Good one on the lie-a-watha! Do you identify as American Indian? It seems these days you can be whatever you self identify as. 

That is probably true for the other races in job applications. I notice that now most talk about tribal affiliation, and tribal memberships for Native American. However, if you have a genetic test that shows Native American and European maybe you would be good to go to say mixed race.  The funny thing is the tests are really not about race they are about the area you grew up in. Which is not the same as race. The most recent view of biologists is that race does not exist in humans. That there is more genetic variety within a "race" than there is between the "races". So really the whole thing is bogus. At best, the "what you look like" test is more what people view as race. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, racerford said:

That is probably true for the other races in job applications. I notice that now most talk about tribal affiliation, and tribal memberships for Native American. However, if you have a genetic test that shows Native American and European maybe you would be good to go to say mixed race.  The funny thing is the tests are really not about race they are about the area you grew up in. Which is not the same as race. The most recent view of biologists is that race does not exist in humans. That there is more genetic variety within a "race" than there is between the "races". So really the whole thing is bogus. At best, the "what you look like" test is more what people view as race. 

I bet you're right! I am part American Indian but since I look white I am not able to get hired as an affirmative action hire.

• Like 1