the lottery

ASH

ok lets get the comment  poor tax out of way ,we know that lol .

but with both lotteries  its gonna be over a billion dollars  and if you  x3  think about the money . 

when i win  i will  build a house  to members  specs    for every member .   but . only exception is no castles   , because im gonna have the biggest baddest  moat castle  in the world  

we only play when it gets big ,  maybe 4 bucks . 

• Administrators

I am a person who enjoys gambling from time to time.  I play the lottery every drawing, a single ticket and number.    An old Jewish story goes (man asking a Rabbi) "Rabbi, is it OK if I play the numbers(Lotto)?"  The Rabbi responds "Yes, of course, if G-d is looking for a way to make you rich, you have helped him, but never buy more than one, because G-d does not need help with the odds!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ASH said:

but with both lotteries  its gonna be over a billion dollars  and if you  x3  think about the money . 

when i win  i will  build a house  to members  specs    for every member .   but . only exception is no castles   , because im gonna have the biggest baddest  moat castle  in the world  

No need to be greedy, so I’ll be happy if you just pay my present mortgage.  I’m happy where I am.  Plus maybe four large gun safes. 

Hawk?

In my P.D. days I used to play the state lottery (MM didn't exist yet & PB wasn't in my state). $1 every week for the big prize only. 

One day the jackpot was crazy high compared to normal (nothing like the multi state numbers we get these days, but still a good chunk of change).

The office manager & two maintenance guys from my apt complex and I all put in $10 each for a pool.  With 40 tickets purchased, we hoped to get something, even if it was just a few matching numbers.

Nothing. Not a dollar. Not a free ticket. Nothing.

That's when I stopped donating $52 dollars a year to the Public School Indoctrination System and to money for nothing seekers.

Since the minimum for Mega Millions and PowerBall is now $2, I put $4 - $8 a month into it - usually only, maybe, 2 tickets a month.  I figure it helps get the wad of $1 bills out of my wallet, and what the heck. 

I know a couple lottery winners - Daughter I knew in one family won the Connecticut Lottery decades ago when it first started and it was $50,000 a year for 20 years.  Dad and Mom immediately got divorced. 

Another blue collar guy I knew won $150,000... and "invested" it with "trusted" people to do some sort of import / export "business"... he lost all his money within 2 years - realistically, he lost it all the second he wrote a check to those "trusted" people. 

If I actually won a BIG lottery?  One, I would QUIT MY JOB.  I laugh at people who say they would keep working if they won $500 million... really?  it probably would be a full time job just managing that much money. 

Take a chunk and put it in some sort of trust / saving / CD / account thing so in the future if I piss away money I wouldn't be totally broke. 

Buy a couple cars / trucks, remodel and increase the size of our house (with a GARAGE! I would LOVE to have a garage!).  Figure out someway to give money to my sisters that wouldn't cause issues - I am not sure if that is possible.  Would offer some money to my brother-in-law - with the stipulation that he NEVER ask us for money again, forever.  Yea, he is the black sheep of the family.  Actually, I am not sure what I would do with him, but help him out someway.   My kids would get "trust funds", I don't even know how those work. 

It is fun to think (dream?) about.

51 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Home, big garage, cars, guns, gun-room/man-cave, shooting, driving, track days.

Then probably give most of it away to friends, perhaps a few family members.

You’d be surprised how many friends and relatives you have that you or your parents and grandparents never knew or talked to.  

Hawk 

PS:  And friend?  Can I borrow $100,000.  Interest free, of course.  ???????

11 hours ago, ASH said:

Poor tax? I always called it something else.

I bought a ticket yesterday when I bought my coffee. Figured why not. Last time I played was my last day in the army. It was 10/10/2010 so I put in $10. Didn’t get a thing. 

If if I win I’ll buy a nice house, but nothing crazy. Build a man cave that’s a “safe” so I don’t have to have my guns in a safe, but in a vaulted type room. Nice truck, trust for my daughter. Vacations, maybe a second house out in the middle of no where somewhere like Montana. Maybe “work” a few days at the armory at the PD, but no way I would be a cop if I won that much money. Everyone and their mom would sue you for excessive force every time you put on handcuffs

Edited by John

what i always wonder is someone in new jersey   or up north seem to win or get a piece of it every time ,  i seem to recall  the the  lottery commission  removed a machine that was people were winning alot on  , 

You gotta be in it to win it.

Before my FIL passed, my wife would go visit him in Ohio. If it was a big lottery day, she would buy a few tickets and bring to him.  They would sit together during the drawing and watch the numbers come out. 

He never won anything, but one time after the drawing he looked at her and said, " Anybody should have known these numbers would never win anything."

:anim_rofl2:

Edited by willie-pete
add story

yeah people say oh i will keep working , pifff you 500 million you aint working ,specially after you have everyone after you for money.  

id retire and retire  , wait i am retired lol .   i would  give my 2 daughters and their family enough to not have to work  , and but a place where we build houses on same

land   but not beside each other   like 3 miles lol 

First thing I'd is show up to work the next day after calling a lawyer, and then a cpa, and having them get together.  Then, at the end of the week I'd give my two weeks notice with some plausible story about why I'm leaving, and finish out my time.  Since AZ doesn't guarantee lottery winner privacy, they'd have time to set up some trust or something to keep my name out of it.  

Then would come the investment strategy and all that.

Edited by Scotsman

I play.  It’s a form of suicide prevention I learned from a friend. 

If I win, no one will know but my estate planning attorney. A blind trust will be the winner.

I will help people when I can do so without harming them in the process.

My sex life will greatly improve.

2 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

A cabin in the mountains that doesn't even show up on GPS.

And lots and lots of mason jars.

Lots of places around here don’t show up on google maps.  Including some homes we deal with.  One included the directions turn down the creek bed.

as for the mason jars you could probably afford an indoor toilet with that kind of money.

One of my investment advisors made me promise to call her first if I ever win anything.

She told me she has a team already assembled to assist winners. I suspect she has already had the opportunity to use it as I saw a car once in the deck there that said "LOTTO."