Another new K frame

Collim1

I did not expect to win this one when I threw a last minute bid on a GB auction. 

She arrived today and I have to say I am very pleased.  She is 90% IMO with only the most minor blemishes from handling or storage, and practically no sign of actual use.  Hardly even a turn ring around the cylinder  

She is a 1961 (unconfirmed) Model 10 no dash(that is confirmed).

I am going to have to cool my jets for a while and won’t be making any purchases for a while. 

I can’t wait to shoot both of these K frames this weekend.  The 2” will be carried when my holster comes in.

0E3965B7-E2E4-44C5-8103-7D830E335B1F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just realized this gun is a four screw model. Which, unless I’m wrong, would in fact confirm that it’s a 1961. Right?  

To be a model 10 no dash but also a four screw 1961 would have to be it. Because after that it would be a three screw model 10, and prior to that it would have been a pre-model 10.

any ideas if that is accurate. I’m doing a little research now. Doesn’t really matter, I’m just curious now. 

I’m no photographer, but I really wanted to take a family portrait. 

Here are my revolvers from top to bottom:

4” model 66-1

4” model 10

3” model 64-5

2” model 10-7

442 jframe 

3E73059A-C558-4F5C-8BE3-4EAD88BA0377.jpeg

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I got to shoot both of them this morning. I fired several hundred rounds of 158g LSWC.

The little 2” model 10 takes utmost effort to shoot well compared to my 3 and 4 inch revolvers. It will be a good little carry gun, but it didn’t impress me from the 15 yard line. Being a full size frame I expected it to shoot equally as well as the other guns, and it shot more like a J frame than I expected.

I had the cylinder bind after about 150 rounds in the 2” gun. Had major buildup under the extractor star. Not sure why as the 4” gun was fired equally as much with virtually no visible buildup. And both guns were spotless clean to begin with.

I wonder if it’s gas blowback?  Are there known gas seal problems with a 10-7?  I know it’s been redesigned several times.  

The 4” pencil barrel model 10 was the real star of the day.  It was an absolute dream to shoot.  Perfect balance and very good accuracy. The full length ejector and the thin front sight blade were a big plus.  

I had some light primer strikes with both guns.  I was shooting my own reloads so I’m not very concerned, but I do need to try some factory ammo and carry ammo to ensure all is well before carrying them.  

I also shot 5 125g magnums out of a friend’s 2” model 640. Bad idea. That was absolutely punishing. But surprisingly I rang steel on all five shots. I’d still carry it with +P’s personally.  

When my holster arrives I fully intend to carry the snubby this winter.  It will be a fun gun to carry OWB with a split six speedloader pouch under a windbreaker. 

Edited by Collim1

I got the cylinder disassembled and discovered quite a bit of corrosion in the internals. I got it cleaned up and left a nice coating of ballistol on everything inside. It spins freely now and the cylinder opens and closes like new.  The extractor star fit nice and flush and the ejector rod moves freely also.  Good as new.

I did blemish the ejector rod trying to get it off. I’ve never had one stuck that tight. A touch of cold blue concealed the damage pretty nicely.  You’d never notice it if you didn’t know where to look. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PATCHMAN said:

I have to say, that's a nice collection.  

Thanks. I’ve always appreciated revolvers, and have carried a J frame as a backup and off-duty carry gun for about fifteen years, but recently I have been drawn to the model 10.

It’s not random, as I have been collecting vintage police gear and researching vintage uniforms and gear, with interest primarily in the late fifties to mid sixties. The standard profile model 10 is the quintessential cop gun of that era IMO.  

After quite a bit of research I have determined that police administrative polices got a lot of cops killed, and started the belief that revolvers were outdated prematurely. 

Resistenace to retention holsters and insistence that officers not use speedloaders or carry magnum ammo left a lot of officers outgunned. LRN ammo and dump pouches were used long after speed loaders and better ammo became available. All in the name of ‘perception’. 

The model 66 is the only magnum I own. It’s checks the box of having a magnum if I ever feel the need for some oomph. The rest are all model 10 variants in .38, except for the little airweight. 

• Like 1