The weight loss struggle begins anew...

PNWguy

On 10/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, Dragline said:

I took an advance out on my 60s during my 20s and 30s and now the bills are all coming due. 

My doctor says some people treat their body like a temple.

Most like a carnival.

But he said I treated mine like a demolition derby. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Just woke up so haven't had my morning routine in which I shower and all that and weigh myself.  Yesterday I was down to 306.3lbs.

Still no carbs, but carb craving got intense.  

Went to the gym last night for the first time since last December and took it very easy.  My lower back started hurting on the left side about two weeks before I left for Japan.  During the trip, it moderated and the pain was nearly gone.  Did three 12hr shifts at work sitting in our awful chairs and it flared back up again.

So, my gym workout was stuff that didn't hurt my back.  Amazingly, the rowing machine felt just fine, as well as some chest and bicep exercises.

Trying to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day for a month, then moderate amounts with more gym time.

Hopefully this back issue doesn't get worse.  Never had any back problems in my life; just the normal sore muscle and pulled muscle stuff that goes away after a day or so.  This has been nearly two months of constant pain in a very specific area, so I fear a bulging disc.  Trying to get to the doc next week.

Here's the best low carb satisfier I've found (meaning it's the most LIKE the carb thing it imitates,, buy far).

61zQwr5VvjL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Gluten-Potato/dp/B01BGDZIJW/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1540088236&sr=8-6&fpw=pantry&keywords=quest+protein+chips&dpID=51XnNeWrWxL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

A BUNCH of different flavors, among them:

-Ranch, like Ranch Doritos w/o the grease

-Nacho, like Reg Doritoes w/o the grease

-Chili-lime that has a LOT of real lime flavor

The BBQ is a bit strong, but good. Better than BBQ baked real potato chips. 

I have 1 bag a day with either home made Hidden Valley Ranch dressing/dip, or a MN only "Top o the tater". :eat: 

TopTater1.jpg?w=980&q=75

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, TBO said:

Here's the best low carb satisfier I've found (meaning it's the most LIKE the carb thing it imitates,, buy far).

61zQwr5VvjL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Gluten-Potato/dp/B01BGDZIJW/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1540088236&sr=8-6&fpw=pantry&keywords=quest+protein+chips&dpID=51XnNeWrWxL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

A BUNCH of different flavors, among them:

-Ranch, like Ranch Doritos w/o the grease

-Nacho, like Reg Doritoes w/o the grease

-Chili-lime that has a LOT of real lime flavor

The BBQ is a bit strong, but good. Better than BBQ baked real potato chips. 

I have 1 bag a day with either home made Hidden Valley Ranch dressing/dip, or a MN only "Top o the tater". :eat: 

TopTater1.jpg?w=980&q=75

We order the quest chips by the box.   

• Like 1

Lowering carbs seems to be the hottest thing going these days. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

I've gone with the calories in vs. calories out theory, and am meeting GREAT success.

Let's look at a McIntosh apple. 95 calories, 25 grams of carbs, decent fiber. According to the carb folks, I can have an apple, then I'm pretty much done with fruits (and carbs) for the day. However, a pretty regular part of my diet is an apple, a banana, and blueberries. They're sugary, fibrous, and relatively low calorie. A vast majority of the rest of my calories comes from eggs, cheese, and spinach-based salads. Been averaging 1200-1500 calories on my good days this week. One day, I had a hard time getting to 1200- I was full.

According to the low-carb crowd, I should be big as a house, eating apples and bananas. Yet, the pounds are melting off, steering clear of calorie-dense fatty foods in a pretty hardcore plant-based diet. If you would a told me a year ago that I would be eating this way, and enjoying it, I woulda thrown my Cheetos at you.

I guess the point of all my rambling is, find the one that works for you, and own it. I worked last night, and had about a 15 hour fast. Having an apple and about 4 oz of whiskey for dinner before bed. Dinner will probably be a chicken breast and a salad. Funny thing is- I'm ENJOYING eating like this. I ate half an Oreo last week- It was awful. Used ta woulda ate half the container.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Just woke up so haven't had my morning routine in which I shower and all that and weigh myself.  Yesterday I was down to 306.3lbs.

Still no carbs, but carb craving got intense.  

Went to the gym last night for the first time since last December and took it very easy.  My lower back started hurting on the left side about two weeks before I left for Japan.  During the trip, it moderated and the pain was nearly gone.  Did three 12hr shifts at work sitting in our awful chairs and it flared back up again.

So, my gym workout was stuff that didn't hurt my back.  Amazingly, the rowing machine felt just fine, as well as some chest and bicep exercises.

Trying to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day for a month, then moderate amounts with more gym time.

Hopefully this back issue doesn't get worse.  Never had any back problems in my life; just the normal sore muscle and pulled muscle stuff that goes away after a day or so.  This has been nearly two months of constant pain in a very specific area, so I fear a bulging disc.  Trying to get to the doc next week.

One more thing.  Drink gallons of water.  Keep a bottle with you at all times.  Drink a bottle of water right before meals so you get that full feeling with less food.

Lay off the machines if they cause you pain.  Walking will burn just as many calories if you do enough of it.  If you have access to a pool, swimming is even better and much less strain on your joints.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2018 at 6:35 PM, PNWguy said:

Went to Japan and was totally ashamed of my weight.  Nope.  Gained ten pounds.  

Don't need any advice; I know how to work out and what to eat. 

Some Japanese food can be high in calories and salt.

I think you do need some advise on food.   

Since March of this year I've lost 50lbs on Atkins.

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/library/articles/how-atkins-40-works-and-the-science-behind-it-1

On 10/14/2018 at 7:10 PM, Rabbi said:

1800-2200 calories a day is what I have to eat to lose weight safely.  

Constant calorie intake leads not losing weight ... your body adjusts and learns to live on that.  You have to vary the calorie intake.  

Last night, I was behind schedule getting to work, so I didn't have time to pack dinner, just a low-carb breakfast.  So I went to the local grocery store and thought I'd just get a wrap.  Found a breakfast wrap that said it was a pepperjack cheese, sausage, egg wrap.  Perfect.  Got back to the office, warmed it up, slathered on some Sriracha sauce, and dug in.  Discovered it was also packed with hash browns.  Crap.  Figured I'd been so good I'd eat it anyway as a little reward.  Delicious!

About 45 minutes later I was miserable.  Got very nauseous and about puked.  Nausea lasted about two hours, then horrible stomach cramps, then painful gas.

Yeah, no more carbs...

Finally, at the end of my 12-hr shift I was finally feeling OK and met my dad and sister for breakfast at a local cafe and had a vegetarian omelette with a side of bacon.  No ill effects after that,

I think that cured me of my addiction to potatoes...

• Administrators
9 hours ago, AerynSun2 said:

Constant calorie intake leads not losing weight ... your body adjusts and learns to live on that.  You have to vary the calorie intake.  

Only to a point.  Your body can not change the laws of physics. 

I have done several bulk/cut cycles in my life. Negative calories are negative calories. Physics always wins.  Sure, there are details to how you get your calories, but it it ultimately a math problem. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

I have done several bulk/cut cycles in my life. Negative calories are negative calories. Physics always wins.  Sure, there are details to how you get your calories, but it it ultimately a math problem. 

My ex-wife used to believe that Cool Whip was a healthier choice than ice cream for a dessert because it was lighter.  In her mind, heavy food made you fatter and lighter food was better for you.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

My ex-wife used to believe that Cool Whip was a healthier choice than ice cream for a dessert because it was lighter.  In her mind, heavy food made you fatter and lighter food was better for you.

Well, food density can be a real thing but ultimately, a calorie is a calorie.  

The body does adapt a bit, thus changing calorie needs, but if you are in a deficit (whatever that is)  you will lose weight long term.  One issue that messes with people is our body can go through phases where it is storing more water, thus making it seem like we are not losing or even gaining weight....but the laws of physics still apply.  A calorie deficit means you are losing fat (and hopefully to a lesser extent, muscle) 

Weight loss should be measured over long periods of time....it will **** with you hard if you try to do it too often. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rabbi said:

Physics??????? Not!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-plateau/art-20044615

What causes a weight-loss plateau?

During the first few weeks of losing weight, a rapid drop is normal. In part, this is because when you cut calories, the body gets needed energy initially by releasing its stores of glycogen, a type of carbohydrate found in the muscles and liver.

Glycogen is partly made of water, so when glycogen is burned for energy, it releases water, resulting in weight loss that's mostly water. This effect is temporary, however.

As you lose weight, you lose some muscle along with fat. Muscle helps keep the rate at which you burn calories (metabolism) up. So as you lose weight, your metabolism declines, causing you to burn fewer calories than you did at your heavier weight.

Your slower metabolism will slow your weight loss, even if you eat the same number of calories that helped you lose weight. When the calories you burn equal the calories you eat, you reach a plateau.

Edited by AerynSun2

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, PNWguy said:

Weight is now 305.7  :banana:

Keep up the good work and don't you be backsliding on those Carbs! It takes time for those cravings to diminish. They'll never completely go away but after you get down to your target weight you can allow yourself to have few slices of pizza about every 2 months or so.

I went from 280 to 220 but I never counted carbs. I just stopped drinking and cut out sugar and stopped eating for a family of 4, Then after I got down to 220 I stayed at that weight for about a year and then went up to 230 and then 240. and stayed that way for a few years, Then my blood sugars started going up and a nutritionist told me to not eat any vegetables but green vegetables, but to eat all I wanted of those. But no yellow vegetables (corn) no orange, (carrots) and no Bread, Potatoes, rice, or pasta and no corn chips or potato chips.

I still didn't count carbs, I just stopped eating Bread, Potato's, Pasta and rice and no more corn or potato chips and I got back down to 220 and I'm determined to stay at that weight.  I think those low carb  protein chips sound like a good idea but I've never seen them in the store but I looked online and it says Walmart has them.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, AerynSun2 said:

Physics??????? Not!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-plateau/art-20044615

Your slower metabolism will slow your weight loss, even if you eat the same number of calories that helped you lose weight. When the calories you burn equal the calories you eat, you reach a plateau.

That is exactly what I said.  Which is exactly....physics. 

I believe Rabbi and Aerynsun are both right.

As one loses weight, their base metabolic rate lowers, as well. Therefore, it takes lowering your caloric intake as you lose weight, to keep the same pace of weight loss. The person who is 300 lbs has a higher BMR than the person who is 200. So, maintaining a steady caloric deficit as your BMR lowers as you lose weight, prevents plateaus.

It really is a numbers game.

Edited by tadbart
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

That is exactly what I said.  Which is exactly....physics. 

Physics does not deal with biology or chemistry. 

the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy. The subject matter of physics, distinguished from that of chemistry and biology, includes mechanics, heat, light and other radiation, sound, electricity, magnetism, and the structure of atoms.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, tadbart said:

As one loses weight, their base metabolic rate lowers, as well. Therefore, it takes lowering your caloric intake as you lose weight, to keep the same pace of weight loss. The person who is 300 lbs has a higher BMR than the person who is 200. So, maintaining a steady caloric deficit as your BMR lowers as you lose weight, prevents plateaus.

Yep, even though it can become a moving target, a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tadbart said:

True ... one thing to do is to vary the caloric intake - up and down.   This diet is based upon it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rotation-Diet-Revised-Updated/dp/0393341313

• Administrators
Just now, AerynSun2 said:

Physics does not deal with biology or chemistry. 

the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy. The subject matter of physics, distinguished from that of chemistry and biology, includes mechanics, heat, light and other radiation, sound, electricity, magnetism, and the structure of atoms.

Now you are just acting a fool. 

Physics is the relationship between EVERYTHING.   Biology and chemistry are subsets of physics.  They are the sciences of describing the specific physics of biological and chemical issues. 

Until a deity shows up and miracles some ****, everything in all of existence, EVERYTHING, is governed by physics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rabbi said:

Now you are just acting a fool. 

Physics is the relationship between EVERYTHING.   Biology and chemistry are subsets of physics.  They are the sciences of describing the specific physics of biological and chemical issues. 

Until a deity shows up and miracles some ****, everything in all of existence, EVERYTHING, is governed by physics. 

As an autodidact you might think that.  But, it is not correct.   Physicist do not postulate theorems in the realm of chemistry or biology. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, AerynSun2 said:

As an autodidact you might think that.  But, it is not correct.   Physicist do not postulate theorems in the realm of chemistry or biology. 

*sigh*   

Good luck brother.  Good luck. 

4 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

*sigh*   

Good luck brother.  Good luck. 

"“A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.” 

This is you ... the little part ... learn to drink deep and love it. 

Edited by AerynSun2