The weight loss struggle begins anew...

PNWguy

10 hours ago, Dragline said:

I took an advance out on my 60s during my 20s and 30s and now the bills are all coming due. 

Same here with the logging, construction, and oilfield work. Still working at 65. Had to call a friend to run loader for me today cause I couldn't make all the transitions back and forth from truck to loader, and back. Lower back is killing me.

• Like 1

Started carb-free on Saturday at 315 (down from 322 a week earlier in Japan).

Have not hit the gym yet as I don't go back to work until Thursday night, but have walked every day.

307.5.  Not sure how I lost 7.5lbs in 4 days, or 14.5lbs in ten days, but I'm sure it will level off once I hit the gym and start building muscle again.  It's just a drop in the bucket when I should be at 220lbs.  But it's a start.  Under 300 by Halloween should be doable. 

Carb cravings are hitting me hard.  Not really hungry, just craving a good beer and a pizza big time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

You've gotta start somewhere, and you have, which is the important thing.  Take it slow, and keep the scale going in the right direction.  Good luck, Vart!  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

-Pat

OP, I know you didn't ask for advice, but the above is good advice.  When you get back to the gym, take it slow.  You mentioned knee pain in one of your posts.  Take it seriously.  It doesn't take much for it to go from an annoyance to pretty severe if you push to hard too fast.  I speak from experience here.

This guy here has some good info on getting fit in your later years:  http://dougkelsey.com/

Edited by jk_226

Seems you know what works for you. Hard part is sticking with it. I'm same height , 10 years older and stay around 225 lbs. I work from home in front of computers 8/9 hrs a day. My routine is mostly plant based diet and walking- a lot. Otherwise, I think my weight would sky rocket up.

9 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Have not hit the gym yet as I don't go back to work until Thursday night, but have walked every day.

307.5.  Not sure how I lost 7.5lbs in 4 days, or 14.5lbs in ten days, but I'm sure it will level off once I hit the gym and start building muscle again.  It's just a drop in the bucket when I should be at 220lbs.  But it's a start.  Under 300 by Halloween should be doable. 

Carb cravings are hitting me hard.  Not really hungry, just craving a good beer and a pizza big time!

Cant really compare the 322 to the 315 since those were two different scales. Flying, particularly long flights, can contribute to water retention and a subsequent weight gain. Even up to 10 pounds. Crazy. 

Was the 'redneck wine' carb free? Alcohol free? Not busting your chops but you're posting contradictory info.

Keep it up. I can relate to the struggle. I weigh 30pds more than I'd like to. Seems I can drop 20 but in 6 months, it's back. Carbs are my issue too. For the most part, I eat pretty healthy but I do enjoy my sweets and carb-filled snacks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zonny said:

Flying, particularly long flights, can contribute to water retention and a subsequent weight gain. Even up to 10 pounds. Crazy.

I lose 5 - 7 pounds during a hockey game.  I don't drink much water during the game (enough to wet the whistle),  but chug-chug after the game.

I feel your pain. I went from 5’7” & 140 lbs to ~200 lbs from 2011–2015 thanks to Whataburger’s delicious Green Chile Double Cheeseburger (and my obvious lack of self-control). 

Ive managed to get back on the wagon and have dropped 25 lbs, but I still have 30 to go and it’s not easy. 

Good luck to you OP! You can do it, and thanks for the inspiration/motivation! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zonny said:

Was the 'redneck wine' carb free? Alcohol free? Not busting your chops but you're posting contradictory info.

There are two different camps on alcohol and keto.  Some say red wine and whiskey and a couple others are carb-free and are fine in moderation.  Others say any alcohol is taboo due to the inherent sugar.

I decided to cut out all beer, rum, and just about all alcohol.  But that can of Redneck Wine was too much to pass up...  :uglylol:

15 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Drink electrolyte mixtures daily. Doing Low Carb makes you urinate more, which uses up more electrolytes than usual. Drinking electrolytes daily can help you avoid painful calf cramps. 

Recipe attached. I heat up a cup of water and mix the ingredients in a blender, then top off with the rest of water (cold) and blend again. 

ElectrolyteMix .pdf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TBO said:

Drink electrolyte mixtures daily. Doing Low Carb makes you urinate more, which uses up more electrolytes than usual. Drinking electrolytes daily can help you avoid painful calf cramps. 

Recipe attached. I heat up a cup of water and mix the ingredients in a blender, then top off with the rest of water (cold) and blend again. 

ElectrolyteMix .pdf

Yeah, I did get horrible calf cramps a couple of times last time I tried keto.  Thanks!  Don't think I've ever seen "light salt" at the store.

• Like 1

Yeah, I did get horrible calf cramps a couple of times last time I tried keto.  Thanks!  Don't think I've ever seen "light salt" at the store.
I also take a magnesium pill during the warm sweaty summer months, and I also rub magnesium oil on my legs at night. Anything to avoid another calf cramp like I had.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 1

I need to lose that same 20#.  Again.  My problem is that I already do kettlebell Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thurs (because my kids go to classes with me 2 days a week each, so they won't be in the same class together... then the oldest goes with her father for 2 more classes). Kettlebell makes me HUNGRY.  Very, very hungry.  So while my fat-to-body weight ratio has improved, I haven't lost any weight.  This is pissing me off.  I like to eat.  I'm right at the borderline for my weight class competing, and I'd rather be about 5# under, so I don't have to dehydrate right before competing.  I could lose the 20#, and drop an entire class.  Which would be really cool.  If I could just stop eating.  But I'm HUNGRY.

• Like 1

Checkin' in. How ya doin', Vart?

I hit the scale last night- 294.6. I don't know how I actually lost 5 lbs this week. My friend was down from Alaska, and we ate and drank like heathens. Walked around a lot more too, though.

I think a big thing is setting reasonable goals. Eventually, I'm hoping to get below 250. But saying "I'm gonna lose 80 pounds" seems so daunting. However, saying "I'm gonna lose 5 pounds at a time, until I reach my goal" makes it seem more attainable. Plus, I've been fat for so long, there was a mental inertia I had to overcome. It was almost like one bad day led to another, until it was unstoppable and inevitable that tomorrow was gonna be a bad day, too. Now, when I F up, I get up, dust off, and am more mindful the next couple days.

It's unbelievable what one's perspective and mental state can change.

Oh, and I checked my blood pressure last night. 130/73. It was running 140/90 consistently, 30 pounds ago.

Anyways, y'all keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/17/2018 at 2:22 PM, TBO said:

ElectrolyteMix .pdf

Thanks for that!

• Like 1

Well it is time for me to get after the weight. I did a keto type of eating about 20 years ago, lost about 25lb or so, kept it off for a number of years. And when I changed careers about 10 years or so ago, I became less active. So I'll relate what my experiences were.

I did the big loss without doing any cardio or exercise. I did begin exercise after the big loss was started, riding bicycle. Was averaging 16mph for the most part(I realize that the number is somewhat meaningless for anyone who is "in to" a serious training program). The food was heavily protein based, cutting carbs heavily, cheese, dairy, vegetables, eliminating regular soda(1 can of regular soda has about 1/2 of a day's worth of carbo), corn chips/potato chips(10 chips =about 1/3 of a day's worth). The "bible" I used was Protein Power, it gives a good explanation of how things work physically, what to expect to feel, more or less says to throw away the scale and focus on how your clothes fit. As you lose weight, the looser fitting clothing is a great motivator. You can eat as much as you want, just restrict the carbs.

This will go on for about 6 weeks or so, you lose the desire to eat the carb heavy stuff, sugary stuff does not taste that good. Your body reverses from burning the carb you eat to burning the fat you have stored. You pee a lot, need to drink a lot of water to balance the loss of fluid, and your pee stinks, that is the sign that you are in a state of ketosis. Also, there is a risk of developing kidney stones, they hurt. I think I may have had one, it hurt and I was off work a few days, then my rt nut got swollen. You poop less too. You might get bad breath as well. You lose weight all over, not just from your gut, it kind of goes in reverse. The most recent place the fat was stored is the first to go, you lose it off your face, neck, back, butt, stomach, legs. Another good check to see if you are losing fat is to check your hat fit.

So I am in day 3 of my carb restriction eating. Trying to limit carb intake to under 75 gr of carb per day, allows about 25 per meal. Another down side is of the keto you need to watch out for is muscle loss on top of fat loss. So I intend to get lifting again again, and be careful not to take the whole thing too far. You do gain some energy level from the change of eating, so I intend to channel that to lifting and other activities.

Best to all who are trying to lose tonnage, please give progress reports, I will. 

Oh and, 67 y/o Greg Norman, former pro golfer works out 2 hours every day. He says the hardest thing about staying in shape is staying motivated, not the discipline to not eat food that will pack on pounds. You can still enjoy burgers and sandwiches and stuff, just throw away the top half of the bun and eat it with a fork, you removed 50% of the carb from the meal. Eggs and bacon etc for breakfast, 1 piece of toast(17 gram of carb), just know the carb values of what you are eating.

• Like 3

Just woke up so haven't had my morning routine in which I shower and all that and weigh myself.  Yesterday I was down to 306.3lbs.

Still no carbs, but carb craving got intense.  

Went to the gym last night for the first time since last December and took it very easy.  My lower back started hurting on the left side about two weeks before I left for Japan.  During the trip, it moderated and the pain was nearly gone.  Did three 12hr shifts at work sitting in our awful chairs and it flared back up again.

So, my gym workout was stuff that didn't hurt my back.  Amazingly, the rowing machine felt just fine, as well as some chest and bicep exercises.

Trying to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day for a month, then moderate amounts with more gym time.

Hopefully this back issue doesn't get worse.  Never had any back problems in my life; just the normal sore muscle and pulled muscle stuff that goes away after a day or so.  This has been nearly two months of constant pain in a very specific area, so I fear a bulging disc.  Trying to get to the doc next week.

Edited by PNWguy
  • Like 2

Limit your carbs to <30 grams per day.  You will lose weight, with or without exercise.  (of course, exercise accelerates the process).

Get a carb counter book so you know what to avoid.  One slice of bread is 14g of carbs.  So if you eat a sandwich you have maxxed out your daily carb intake.

Buy a package of boneless chicken breasts and a bottle of Italian salad dressing.  Put the chicken breasts in a big ziplock bag and dump the whole bottle of Italian dressing in with them.  Put it in your fridge.  Grill one for supper every night, along with a salad.  That is my standard supper.

Replace the beer with red wine.  Less carbs and it is better for you.  If you must have a beer, Michelob Ultra is only 2.6g of carbs per 12 oz bottle.  And it tastes good, not watery.

Don't skip breakfast.  An egg and two strips of bacon is good (no toast).  Eat a salad for lunch.

There is a lot of good food that doesn't have a lot of carbs,  To keep the weight off, you have to make this a lifestyle.  If you go back to your old ways you will put the weight right back on.  Once you reach your target weight, monitor your carb intake carefully.  Weigh yourself daily.

Trust me, you can do this.  In my line of work, this is a way of life.  I have to constantly maintain my ideal weight ±4 lbs.  If I know I'm going to a bbq next week, I'll take my weight down a few pounds in advance.

Edited by Hannie Caulder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hannie Caulder said:

Limit your carbs to <30 grams per day.  You will lose weight, with or without exercise.  (of course, exercise accelerates the process).

Get a carb counter book so you know what to avoid.  One slice of bread is 14g of carbs.  So if you eat a sandwich you have maxxed out your daily carb intake.

Buy a package of boneless chicken breasts and a bottle of Italian salad dressing.  Put the chicken breasts in a big ziplock bag and dump the whole bottle of Italian dressing in with them.  Put it in your fridge.  Grill one for supper every night, along with a salad.  That is my standard supper.

Replace the beer with red wine.  Less carbs and it is better for you.  If you must have a beer, Michelob Ultra is only 2.6g of carbs per 12 oz bottle.  And it tastes good, not watery.

Don't skip breakfast.  An egg and two strips of bacon is good (no toast).  Eat a salad for lunch.

There is a lot of good food that doesn't have a lot of carbs,  To keep the weight off, you have to make this a lifestyle.  If you go back to your old ways you will put the weight right back on.  Once you reach your target weight, monitor your carb intake carefully.  Weigh yourself daily.

Trust me, you can do this.  In my line of work, this is a way of life.  I have to constantly maintain my ideal weight ±4 lbs.  If I know I'm going to a bbq next week, I'll take my weight down a few pounds in advance.

Man, that carb advice is spot on.

• Like 1