How the Italian police deal with Antifa.

pipedreams

They were told to stop, they refused to listen. 

While I am sometimes glad that U.S. police are required to show a little more restraint, there is a definite difference between a peaceful protest and a mob looking for an excuse.  A peaceful protest doesn't keep pushing to see how much they can get away with before the other side does something is probably the biggest difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Apparently, in Italy, the police are allowed to do their job. 

I am in Florence, Italy now. Police presence is heavy compared to US. Regular police in blue & white uniform and what seems to be a more paramilitary unit in groups at various locations. They are more heavily armed - some with automatic weapons. Police seem to work closely with military units who employ armored vehicles and are quite heavily armed. Military units I have seen are scattered about are obviously quick response units. One such unit - about a dozen men - moved quietly but quickly to the edge of a crowded town square yesterday -all armed with automatic weapons. Don’t know why they showed up but nothing happened.?

• Like 2

I believe if our police were allowed to use the hickory with a lot more frequency, the number of people of all colors who got shot by the police would go down significantly.  Back when being an ******* would get you a good thumping, less people got shot.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Citra47 said:

I am in Florence, Italy now. Police presence is heavy compared to US. Regular police in blue & white uniform and what seems to be a more paramilitary unit in groups at various locations. They are more heavily armed - some with automatic weapons. Police seem to work closely with military units who employ armored vehicles and are quite heavily armed. Military units I have seen are scattered about are obviously quick response units. One such unit - about a dozen men - moved quietly but quickly to the edge of a crowded town square yesterday -all armed with automatic weapons. Don’t know why they showed up but nothing happened.?

Maybe they showed up so no one else would.

• Like 1

I cannot fathom how a civilized society deems it not only acceptable, but laudable when the youngsters block traffic, destroy whatever is within their grubby little reach and the police just stand at a distance and watch.

:sigh:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tous said:

I cannot fathom how a civilized society deems it not only acceptable, but laudable when the youngsters block traffic, destroy whatever is within their grubby little reach and the police just stand at a distance and watch.

Civilization is only a couple days away from complete anarchy.

It's easier for the older people, or just slightly smarter people, following an ideal to allow the younger/dumber members to run rampant in destruction, then step in at the end to claim the victory as their own.  Especially true of cowards, such as these ones that refuse to show their faces and only take action in mobs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well said, amigo.

I imagine that mobs, collections of those opposing  authority and control, are as old as the very first group of humans that gathered into a tribe for mutual benefit.

It is perhaps reasonable to let the young rail against the old and established; that is what moves societies into the future.

But, when the mob has no accomplishment to point to, no work that has been completed, no need to wonder where their food and shelter come from and are willing to sacrifice for it, then you have angry, spoiled children and not social evolution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, tous said:

I forget who said it.  “Civilization is only one generation from savagery.”  

Hawk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tous said:

Are you perhaps referring to Ronald Reagan when he said, "Freedom is never more than one generation from extinction?"

Close enough.  I have run across the sentiment more than once.  A truth is always worth repeating.  One was about the French Revolution.  We just too often forget them until repeating history forces us to remember or restate those truths.

Hawk

• Like 1