When is the Last time you drove a car with one of these.

Rinspeed

15 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I like the dimmer on the floor. There's too much wiring going through the steering column and new cars are too complicated. I drive a 2007 Jeep wrangler with roll-up windows and of electric door locks. The only modern thing I like about it is the anti-lock brakes. they work good on the icy roads in the winter. I liked the simplicity of the older cars but I like the reliability of the newer cars.

When is the Last time anyone drove a car with one of these.?

brodie501.jpg

1972. tom.

I remember driving my Father's '63 Belair in 1974 when I got my license.  I pushed the darn switch through the rotten floor boards.  Ha-Ha...we rode around in that thing with some sheets of plywood on the floor to keep the snow out in the winter and the rocks and gravel out in the summer.  He finally set it on fire accidently by dropping a cigarette in the ripped upholstery. About an hour after he got to work one day, the fire department showed up...poor old car.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, deputy tom said:

1972. tom.

Long ago they were outlawed in my state, except for medical conditions.  I don't see them anymore.

I do remember some of my friends, talking before they were illegal, complaining that after a hard corner, when they let the wheel spin back ahead they got slapped in the hand by them, and it could be painful.

• Like 1

Brodie knobs are still legal in most states, I believe.

You just don't need them with power steering, but back in the day, you needed a nap and a massage trying to parallel park those huge, American sedans.

We called it Armstrong power steering.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tous said:

Brodie knobs are still legal in most states, I believe.

You just don't need them with power steering, but back in the day, you needed a nap and a massage trying too parallel park those huge, American sedans.

We called it Armstrong power steering.

New drivers quickly learned that you got the car moving before trying to turn the wheel.

• Like 1

I have one in the driveway right now. 

Worst one I know is a buddies CJ2A that was originally built by the county search and rescue squad.

Accelerator

Brakes

Tranny Clutch

PTO Clutch

Winch Switch (electric)

Starter

Dimmer

all on the floor.

Much nicer to drive after he stripped a lot of things out. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, Huaco Kid said:

I actually miss those.

Why eliminate a device that works flawlessly and is so instinctively (well, used to be) easy to use?

Well they weren't so flawless. A buddy and I headed out in my dad's pickup late one night. Car coming so I rested my foot over the dimmer switch. Lights went out. Dark mofo thirty. I punched the switch with my foot and the lights came back on. I figured it out pretty quickly, but had fun with my friend several times when the lights suddenly went out as we approached a corner.  Just let my foot rest on it, and no lights.

6 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I have one in the driveway right now. 

Worst one I know is a buddies CJ2A that was originally built by the county search and rescue squad.

Accelerator

Brakes

Tranny Clutch

PTO Clutch

Winch Switch (electric)

Starter

Dimmer

all on the floor.

Much nicer to drive after he stripped a lot of things out. 

What's a Tranny Clutch?  I'm kinda afraid to ask...?

• Like 1

I am somewhat amused by how the young'uns wonder how folk survived before smart phones, navigation systems; no power steering or brakes -- drum brakes -- no fuel injection with computer-controlled management, carburetors and mechanical points, batteries you had to put water in, suspensions you had to grease, bias-ply tires that lasted 15,000 miles, three channels on the television, mostly black and white, you waited for your favorite song to come up on AM radio, no safe spaces at school, universities that actually educated people ....

Their tiny little brains would vapor lock, something else they cannot imagine.  And I suspect that they couldn't find a clothes pin to clip on a fuel line much less imagine what one was ever used for.  I suppose they can Google it on the damned device permanently grafted to their hand.

I could go on, but I need a shot of Geritol and a nap.

:fred:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrB said:

What's a Tranny Clutch?  I'm kinda afraid to ask...?

Regular old clutch for the transmission. 

Got confusing because there was a second pedal next to it that was a foot clutch for the PTO.  

It was custom built as a canyon search and rescue vehicle but over thought and over engineered.

• Like 1