When is the Last time you drove a car with one of these.

Rinspeed

I never had a problem with the foot switch.  It's not like you used it on every car. 

The headlight switch on the stalk is a bigger bother for me.  I don't like to  take my other hand off the wheel at night.

It might be a wash between then and now.

• Like 1

Drove an old, very old, pickup that had 2! A traditionally placed and function one, and one that activated the starter when you pushed the clutch pedal way, way in.

Edit: IIRC it was a Studebaker.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul53 said:

Drove an old, very old, pickup that had 2! A traditionally placed and function one, and one that activated the starter when you pushed the clutch pedal way, way in.

One that I routinely drove at a young age had the starter under the accelerator.

• Like 1

I once had an Opel GT.  It not only had a dimmer switch like that, but next to it was a foot operated pump to send window washing liquid to the windshield.

It got exciting at times if I missed and covered the windshield with blue liquid instead of dimming the brights.

It was a manual, so I had 3 other pedals to deal with too.  

Edited by MtnBiker
typo
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Ron B said:

I never had a problem using them with a stick and all of my cars are manual transmission.  The problem was that they would corrode when they got old because of the salt and snow.  I sure do miss them.

I replaced many due to salt and slush in PA. tom. :holy-sheep:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MtnBiker said:

I once had an Opel GT.  It not only had a dimmer switch like that, but next to it was a foot operated pump to send window washing liquid to the windshield.

It got exciting at times if I missed and covered the windshield with blue liquid instead of dimming the brights.

It was a manual, so I had 3 other pedals to deal with too.  

For a while they sold after market windshield washers, (J C Whitney was popular) and the foot pump was placed anywhere you wanted it on the floor under the carpet.

Some cars you didn't have any place to put your left foot 'cause the floor was all used up.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deputy tom said:

I replaced many due to salt and slush in PA. tom. :holy-sheep:

Yep.  Many times I would get in my car in the winter and the dimmer switch would be frozen in the high beams position.  Old cars in sub-freezing temps were/are a giant pain in the rear.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

I never had a problem with the foot switch.  It's not like you used it on every car. 

The headlight switch on the stalk is a bigger bother for me.  I don't like to  take my other hand off the wheel at night.

It might be a wash between then and now.

I had the same problem. My girlfriend said " Use two hand '. I said " I can't; I need one to drive."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like the dimmer on the floor. There's too much wiring going through the steering column and new cars are too complicated. I drive a 2007 Jeep wrangler with roll-up windows and of electric door locks. The only modern thing I like about it is the anti-lock brakes. they work good on the icy roads in the winter. I liked the simplicity of the older cars but I like the reliability of the newer cars.

When is the Last time anyone drove a car with one of these.?

brodie501.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I like the dimmer on the floor. There's too much wiring going through the steering column and new cars are too complicated. I drive a 2007 Jeep wrangler with roll-up windows and of electric door locks. The only modern thing I like about it is the anti-lock brakes. they work good on the icy roads in the winter. I liked the simplicity of the older cars but I like the reliability of the newer cars.

When is the Last time anyone drove a car with one of these.?

brodie501.jpg

Suicide knobs sure made steering those big old land yachts a lot easier. 

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Yep.  Many times I would get in my car in the winter and the dimmer switch would be frozen in the high beams position.  Old cars in sub-freezing temps were/are a giant pain in the rear.

That was the least of my problems.  The 6 Volt system didn't give you much cranking time at 10 below.  AAA made a killing in my town until 12 Volt systems became popular.

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

Do you have tiny hands or something? I can change lights with my pinky with my hands still gripping the wheel on all my vehicles. And I have pretty average hands.

• Haha 1