Sig Romeo6T initial impressions

(just so you all know, I don't normally review products, but since this one is new I thought I'd give a few things about it)

So a couple weeks ago I ordered a Sig Sauer Romeo6T from Midway.com.  Unit was marked down considerably, labeled as "blemished"

I have absolutely no idea why it is marked as blemished, box still had it's original seal on it, hadn't been opened.  Only thing I can think is that Sig appears to only sell this version as black, and the box was incorrectly labeled as "Graphite"

So if you haven't seen or read about this optic yet, it's Sig's most expensive red dot they offer right now.  MSRP is $720, Midway has it for $600, and other places have it as low as $500 or so from just a quick look.  Sig's website also lists the 6H model at the same MSRP, when in reality it's a lesser rated sight.

Anyway, initial impression out of the box is really good.  Seems to be pretty solid, and has the accessories that I would want to use with it in the box as well.  Has the flash hider insert, flip up lens cover that's see through for the rear, and both a solid and see through flip caps for the front.  

Honestly though, I don't expect to be in combat with this thing, so if it hadn't been marked down to half of MSRP, I'd have gone with something else.  

There is a solar panel on top, and a couple of super capacitors inside, that allow it to work up to 9 hours without a battery in it.  I took it outside and turned it on without a battery, and sure enough, it turned on.  That's a plus in it's favor.  It takes about 2 minutes of complete stillness before it turns itself off.  Supposedly good for 100k hours or more of operation, though I'm assuming that only works if it's outside where it can get some sun if it's used a lot.

It's also IPX8 rated as opposed to all of the IPX7 ones.  Probably not a big deal as the difference is how far underwater you can take it before it will have issues, either way should be more than good enough if it ever gets rained on or dropped in a puddle for whatever reason.

The downsides as I see them.  The warranty is a little misleading.  Sig has their "Electro-Optics infinite guarantee".  Pretty cool sounding warranty right?  Makes you think you'll be covered if anything happens and it stops working, right?  

Wrong.  The "guarantee" doesn't cover any of the electronic components.  Those only have a 5 year warranty. From date of manufacture.  Doesn't matter if it's old stock that's been sitting around for a few years, once 5 years is up you're hosed.  

The other disappointment is the reticle choices.  So it's cool that I can pick different reticles to use, but one of them I find a little confusing.  

Image result for romeo6 reticle

The model I bought has the 2MOA red dot/ballistic circle-dot.  My confusion comes in when I set it to the ballistic drop dots.  Supposedly they correspond with shorter ranges, but to me they are close enough together and large enough that they tend to just blur together, unless I drop down to the lowest brightness settings.  Might just be my eyes, but I always thought red dots were designed more for close range, and anything where you need to start worrying about bullet drop is real scope territory.  

All the standard cowitness with iron sights and stuff like that applies.

Overall impression is that it seems decently built.  I don't really have anything currently to compare it to other than a really cheap red dot, which the sig totally blows out of the water, but if I were to do it again, just off this initial impression, I might be more inclined to try out one of the lower end Aimpoints instead, as they have a lot more reviews, the PRO model has been out for years, and very many happy customers, whereas this is still an unknown for how well it's going to hold up.  I wouldn't spend the $600 for it when compared to others in it's price range, but if you can find them down in the $400 range I'm willing to bet for regular use they would give the Aimpoints a run for their money.  

(only Aimpoint I have real world experience with is the M68CCO in the Army.)

20181010_160302.thumb.jpg.b74381caabf7e0bac6b9137d303b067b.jpgAnyway, here is a picture of it mounted onto my pistol.  It's a little larger than some of the other red dots I've seen or handled, but not that heavy (something like 10 or 11 ounces)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice.  I am going to be sighting in an Patrol Aimpoint for the first time on my Colt AR soon.  I guess a bit of role reversal.  I have never had an Aimpoint, but the selling point for me was being able to shoot with both eyes open and still have enough field of vision to determine a threat at the same time, rather than be focused solely on the optic.   I view it as a CQB until and if you go 6.5 CM/.308.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:02 AM, Moshe said:

Nice.  I am going to be sighting in an Patrol Aimpoint for the first time on my Colt AR soon.  I guess a bit of role reversal.  I have never had an Aimpoint, but the selling point for me was being able to shoot with both eyes open and still have enough field of vision to determine a threat at the same time, rather than be focused solely on the optic.   I view it as a CQB until and if you go 6.5 CM/.308.

Yeah, that's pretty much my viewpoint on these as well.  Especially here in the U.S. I have no reason why I should be using my AR-15 at long distances.  If I want to reach out and touch someone/something then I have a .308 rifle for that.  

I did just pick up an AR-10 lower.  Haven't decided yet what it's going to be built into, but I'll probably upgrade my bolt action to a better scope and put the Redfield Battlezone on the AR-10 instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

I am saving up dollars to eventually get a NFA trust, and work on affording an Integra Suppressor upper for my AR. 

I'm actually kicking myself slightly because of trusts.

Silencershop had their NFA trust on sale last summer, I ended up doing a one shot trust instead of the multiple item trust at the time, I bought one suppressor and have one coming for free (just pay transfer) that's supposed to finally get made and shipped to my local gun store soon.  I don't expect that I will be making a whole lot more suppressor purchases, but I imagine it will be less paperwork to add people onto a single trust rather than a bunch of them.  

(the pistol above is set up for suppressor already, so I'm anxious to get my first one here so I can finish tuning the gas block for the subsonic ammo)