abba

gwalchmai

Like many of you, I'm sure, the series finale of Better Call Saul sent me to the youtube for a refresher on The Winner Takes it All (the hit rate went up precipitously after the episode aired). It got me thinking about the whole ABBA phenomenon.  They were a kind of plastic imitation of a rock band, which through repetition found a way into our collective psyche. Now we all look back on them fondly. It's weird.

• Thanks 1

I went to an ABBA tribute concert this summer at a local outdoor venue. It had one of the original members (the little dude). The entire band was from Sweeden. The band's name was Xanadu. They put on a 2+hour concert with a single 10 minute intermission. The strangest thing was, with two hours of solid music, there were maybe 2 songs I didn't know by heart. I never realized just how many songs they performed that were huge all over the world. Ironically, the one hit song they didn't play, was Xanadu. But the concert itself was like being shot back to 1977. The only thing missing was stage hands snorting lines of coke between sets.

• Like 2

I know, right? A few years ago my wife and daughter wanted to watch a film on Netflix called "Mama Mia", and I joined them. After I got over Remington Steel's singing I began to notice that I knew all the songs they were singing. After a bit I said "Hey, these are all ABBA songs".

There were plenty of eyerolls to go around at that point.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

.....but occupying a space in our collective memory.....

I must not be part of the "collective memory".

I get some music from the past brings waves of remembrance of good times, but ABBA was never on my go-to list of music in those decades. 

I gotta roll with The Who, Pearl Jam, Van Haggar, The Smiths, America, Marvin Gay, and many, many more.

I even had my D.R.E.A.D. Card.
WRIF-Disco-DREAD-mcrfb.jpg

Edited by M&P15T
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Never been a disco fan, either, but I heard a lot of it through osmosis. Same with ABBA, and Metallica, and Neil Diamond, etc.

Did you seriously just list Metallica between ABBA and Neil Diamond? It’s ass-kicking time. 

F929AC64-E643-49D2-9D60-2A9CE09F5A9C.jpeg.a180e91843280209db145f661248d551.jpeg

• Haha 5

• Administrators
Just now, Wyzz Kydd said:

I'm definitely a rock and roll fan, but I can't think of a single Metallica song I liked and I can remember several ABBA songs that I thought were pretty good.

I’m just the opposite. Very opposite. I like most every Metallica song and try not to think of Abba songs. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dunno, I think anyone who needs a card to prove they're a man really isn't.  As far as I'm concerned, a real man likes, does, or enjoys (obviously within the norms of society) whatever he wants to without regard for what OTHERS may think of him due to his choices.  Don't misunderstand, I think a real man should be able to do things like build a fire, do electrical work, fix things, etc etc.. But I also think he shouldn't give a crap what someone else thinks of his musical tastes, what he eats or drinks and that sort of thing.

-Pat, who likes Abba and a whole lot of other music from classical to jazz to rock and roll.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Come on guys, we're arguing about ABBA. ?

ABBA is clearly a good subject to argue about. As far as Chuck knowing the words goes, he was quite a bit of an asswipe prior to his self immolation. He should have been upfront about not wanting his brother with the firm instead of having Howard take the heat.