I shouldn't a done that!

SC Tiger

(not trying to advertise another forum but I've seen this one mentioned here and at TOS so I figure it is probably okay).

Well I screwed up royally.

To ask some questions about a knife, I took a little cyberstroll over to Bladeforums.  Asked my question then decided to nose around for a few minutes......

Damn.  Shouldn't have done that.  

Now I'm convinced that only Benchmade knives are any good and that all of my current knives are junk!  And the Spyderco Delica (which I may obtain one soon).

(Which in truth some are).  

They also REALLY don't like Ganzo knives.

But some of the knife steels they like to hate on either were the gold standard not too long ago or are better than the gold standards of a few years ago.  There is better stuff now but it'll cost you.

I'm not trying to bash the forum though.  It's a good one.  But I'm not trying to promote it either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Brown Hawk said:

9mm or .45.  Pretty much the same thing.  If it was a gold standard once, it may be silver or bronze now, but they will still work pretty much the same.  

Hawk 

I admit I am curious at how the new "super steels" will perform.  Hence my thinking of getting a Spyderco.

But CRKT for instance is now using 8cr13Mov.  Not as good as some use (Benchmade, some Spydercos, Emerson), but performs as well or better than 440 Stainless, which was the gold standard years ago and is still in common usage.

Benchmade is out of my price range for something I might lose.  Point of reference - I have a Kershaw Blur and a CRKT something-or-other (not the Ripsnort) missing right now.

14 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I admit I am curious at how the new "super steels" will perform.  Hence my thinking of getting a Spyderco.

But CRKT for instance is now using 8cr13Mov.  Not as good as some use (Benchmade, some Spydercos, Emerson), but performs as well or better than 440 Stainless, which was the gold standard years ago and is still in common usage.

Benchmade is out of my price range for something I might lose.  Point of reference - I have a Kershaw Blur and a CRKT something-or-other (not the Ripsnort) missing right now.

Ask about the steels, not the knife brand.  How hard to sharpen, how sharp can it get with normal sharpening tools you might have in the wild, how log does it stay sharp under different uses, then what kind of retention is available or different brands.  The 1930’s pocket knives had loops that could be hung on a Boy Scout belt clip, or something that might be a easily lost - like a pocket clip for me.  Then decide based on that, decide.  I don’t need the latest iPhone (especially at that price) just one that does what I need.  

Hawk 

• Like 1

I'm a Benchmade guy.  Have been for 20 years.  But there are other good knives out there.  Have probably six or seven of them.

Also love my Case folders.   Talk about a classic.  Just a plain good knife for most things.  Have at least 11 of them.

Spyderco....got a few of them too.

Find the one you like.  Can't see going wrong with Benchmade, Spyder, or Emerson. 

Got a couple of Randalls but we're not talking about those types of knives.  ?

Edited by Historian

Try an Opinel some time.  It's not the greatest folder you'll ever know but the blade stays sharp and you won't cry if you end up having to reshape it every once in a while.  It's a European classic at an affordable price.  I think every kitchen in Europe has about a dozen of them.

I use my for gardening, pruning, eating outside.  For the price (usually under $25) you'll find an interesting knife.  Ive had one for almost 20 years. Love it.

The thing is a sleeper. 

I kinda like the Swiss army knife.

When I go hunting or camping I always carry one. Not my primary knife.  But a good knife to have.

After a long day of upland bird hunting you might need open a bottle of wine!  They have a cork screw.

And quite frankly.  I think no one invaded the Swiss because of their knife.  Think about the Swiss Army tank!

6 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I have knives in most of the super steels. Unless you plan on cutting up 10,000 cardboard boxes in a row, you are not missing anything.  They are fun to use and sharpen.  Lately, I have been carrying Buck knives a lot.  Their 420hc steel is by no means a super steel but it holds up just fine under normal use.  

13 minutes ago, Oneshotonepill said:

I have knives in most of the super steels. Unless you plan on cutting up 10,000 cardboard boxes in a row, you are not missing anything.  They are fun to use and sharpen.  Lately, I have been carrying Buck knives a lot.  Their 420hc steel is by no means a super steel but it holds up just fine under normal use.  

Buck makes a great knife!  Talk about a classic.  They could be sharper out of the box.  But hey we're knife guys.  We can do that.

Knives are like guns.  People will argue stupid details.  Most of us will never out shoot a quality pistol or out use a quality knife (with care).

I carry a daily Benchmade Barrage and a lovely Case Trapper in red bone.   The Case is something else.   A gentleman's knife.