‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility’

Glocks4Freedom

Censoring ANYTHING except threats of violence, and encouragement of violence, and death threats is  a TERRIBLE idea.  That is how Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, etc. started out.  And they have let death threats from the left go on?

Censoring any other speech gives it a legitimacy that makes the courious take it more seriously.  One of my triggers is a country that banns “Holocaust Deniers”.  I want people like that to show their ignorance, out where everyone can see it.  Ban it and people start believing it.  I had a father and an uncle go into those camps. . .

Sorry everybody, it’s obviously a hot button issue with me, so I will close now.

Hawk ????

• Like 4

“We live in oppressive times. We have, as a nation, become our own thought police; but instead of calling the process by which we limit our expression of dissent and wonder "censorship", we call it "concern for commercial viability" - David Mamet

Quite frankly, I think political correctness is the worst form of censorship. You're not allowed to speak your mind unless you're black, or unless you're a terrorist, or unless you're an Arab or a minority people. Then you can say what you like. But if you are like a lot of us you are not supposed to say certain things." Wilbur Smith

“It's always easy to get people to condemn threats to free speech when the speech being threatened is speech that they like. It's much more difficult to induce support for free speech rights when the speech being punished is speech they find repellent.” Glenn Greenwald

“Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.” Louis D. Brandeis

“The concept of “microaggression” is just one of many tactics used to stifle differences of opinion by declaring some opinions to be “hate speech,” instead of debating those differences in a marketplace of ideas. To accuse people of aggression for not marching in lockstep with political correctness is to set the stage for justifying real aggression against them.”  ― Thomas Sowell

“Ironically, on the 200th anniversary of our Bill of Rights, we find free speech under assault throughout the United States, including on some college campuses.” 4-May-1991."  George Bush

“The children who know how to think for themselves spoil the harmony of the collective society that is coming, where everyone would be interdependent.” 1899 “Independent self-reliant people would be a counterproductive anachronism in the collective society of the future where people will be defined by their associations.” 1896 John Dewey, educational philosopher, proponent of modern public schools.

And of course!

“We look upon authority too often and focus over and over again, for 30 or 40 or 50 years, as if there is something wrong with authority. We see only the oppressive side of authority. Maybe it comes out of our history and our background. What we don't see is that freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do.” Rudolph Giuliani, speech at a forum on urban crime, former NYC mayor, 2008 Presidential candidate, 1994-03-16

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, johnbt said:

"European standards of civility."

Would that be the WWI standard or the WWII standard? Or maybe the Hundred Years' War standard? They have so many to chose from.

WWII of course.  The one that doesn’t allow the non-civility of disagreement with the powers that be - which in this case would be Google.  

Hawk