Drivers 75 and older...

PNWguy

7 hours ago, GPM said:

My wife is Japanese. She took a Bondurant course when she bought her first BMW. When she had her Mini Cooper S she was like a kid in a go cart. Now with her little SUV she's slowed down. A bit anyway. I just turned 71 and she's a few years behind me. While my track days are probably behind me, I'd say we're both still relatively competent. Don't know how long that will last, but enjoying it while we can.

I think the reason that there is a stereotype of Asians being awful drivers is because in a lot of Asian countries there are mass transit systems that most people use so most don't own vehicles.  When they come to the US, they are driving for the first time in their adult lives.

At least that's my theory having grown up and currently living in an area with two major universities with a high number of Asian students and families.

I spent nearly three weeks in Japan and traveled hundreds of miles in heavy city traffic and only saw one accident and it was a minor rear-ending in stop and go traffic.  Being in Tokyo traffic is crazy; appears as controlled chaos.  Yet apparently very few accidents.

I actually looked up the accident rates around the world and only one Asian country made the top ten list, Thailand...

https://www.mostluxuriouslist.com/top-10-countries-with-highest-accident-rate/

Capture.JPG.e8fb5fa1dc71c30e91b4383d2adb4e36.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GPM said:

My wife is Japanese. She took a Bondurant course when she bought her first BMW. When she had her Mini Cooper S she was like a kid in a go cart. Now with her little SUV she's slowed down. A bit anyway. I just turned 71 and she's a few years behind me. While my track days are probably behind me, I'd say we're both still relatively competent. Don't know how long that will last, but enjoying it while we can.

I could tell stories about her driving but somehow I don't think folks here would believe....

Dave

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 6:55 PM, DrB said:

My ex... I mean...

Dave..

Thanks for clarifying. That explains the blank stare I got  from the wife when I demanded to know who this Dave guy was that she'd been riding around with.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2018 at 2:00 PM, BamaBud said:

What's the highest speed limit in the USA? 70 mph?

We need to limit all cars sold here to that. Then the little hotrodders couldn't cause all the speed-induced wrecks.

Seriously? My Prius will do 111mph on flat ground with no wind. I was going south though so there's that.