Drivers 75 and older...

PNWguy

... In Japan have to have a sticker on their vehicle.  So do beginner drivers with less than a year experience behind the wheel.

The stickers serve as a warning to other drivers that the driver of the stickered vehicle is more likely to do something dumb behind the wheel.

Got a picture today of one...IMG_20181009_160606869_HDR.thumb.jpg.22318166862079842c2f8664c108b0d9.jpg

This is the sticker for beginning drivers...

unnamed.png.fbcd8c14091901cdcce46fca0f51e59d.png

Thought that was a good idea and maybe we could do in America.

Then I realized that we already had stickers that identified impaired drivers...

1865839525_images(3).jpeg.574befdd3423d132c44574e497aeac4a.jpeg

images.png.914e97592009ed83002b216739a8d154.png

1469007291_images(4).jpeg.7adc3f40fec7839f65c62f1094934bfb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Having started my working life in the automotive service industry, I could tell you some stories about older drivers.

One that comes to mind was an older lady in her late 70's or early 80's who brought her car in for a noise. I was told to ride with her so that she could demonstrate the noise and then take her home.

All was fine until we came to a blind intersection where we needed to cross a state highway. Her solution to not being able to see to the left or right was to say "I hope nobody is coming" and then floored it! I could hear brakes locking up on other cars  and I about crapped my pants!

I never did hear the clunk that she described, but did see a box of Kleenex that had apparently fallen off the dash. Probably when she was crossing a blind intersection>

While some seniors are quite capable and still sharp, there are others that should really not be allowed behind the wheel.

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, janice6 said:

In Minnesota we sell White cars to anybody that wants to hide behind Snow banks.

The majority of vehicles sold in Alaska are white. Go figure. Next is the muted colors that blend in with the road in the summer. Of course people who drive either will fail to use their headlights also.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, toofman said:

Seriously.  I feel they should have a new test at the DMV.  Have one of the staff throw a tennis ball to you from 30 feet away.  If you can't catch it, no license.  

That would eliminate damn near half of all drivers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe a little off topic but,

I am 75 and work p/t as an EMT in a a relatively rural area. I have been lucky that my reaction time and vision is still OK. I think I am a little more cautious than some due to my previous truck driving experience.  Actually the lights and siren are only to alert other drivers to your presence and ASK them to yield and let you have right of way. The lights and siren do not allow you to operate at excessive speed for conditions. People WILL pull out in front of an emergency vehicle!

Edited by CaptJim
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, theglock said:

85mph in Texas!  :^>

Yep.  I am on 130 somewhat frequently.  Not only can you cruise along at over 90.....there is no traffic.   However, the real glory for a San Antonio area person is to avoid 35 and Austin.  90+ and getting spit out north of Austin is awesome when you are headed north. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Yep.  I am on 130 somewhat frequently.  Not only can you cruise along at over 90.....there is no traffic.   However, the real glory for a San Antonio area person is to avoid 35 and Austin.  90+ and getting spit out north of Austin is awesome when you are headed north. 

I used to live in Schertz.  Whenever I headed north I did as you do.  Now, however, I live in Buda, but still take Main St directly under I-35 near Cabela's, then immediately to 130 north.  I-35 through Austin is a 'no go' zone, for sure!

• Like 1

My ex was Asian.  There should have been big flashing warning signs on the cars.  She wrecked every car that she drove.  I was with her one night when she took a short cut up a wrong way street speeding none the less.:worthy:

• Haha 1

My wife is Japanese. She took a Bondurant course when she bought her first BMW. When she had her Mini Cooper S she was like a kid in a go cart. Now with her little SUV she's slowed down. A bit anyway. I just turned 71 and she's a few years behind me. While my track days are probably behind me, I'd say we're both still relatively competent. Don't know how long that will last, but enjoying it while we can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1