Should a truck have 4X4?

crockett

As some may know, I sold my expensive Denali truck because of ongoing issues, and I now give up entirely on expensive cars and trucks. Had way too much stress for the money. So I have finally made up my mind, the only question left is: 2X4 or 4X4 drive?

I found 2 great deals, the 2X4 truck comes with a 23.6% discount, the 4X4 is $4,600 more expensive, and "only" offers a  15.8% discount.

I live in Florida and go "off road" maybe twice a year usually just some sandy roads or the beach. Now, if Florida turns blue in the mid terms, I'll be outta here and will most likely end up in Arizona, Colorado or Wyoming. Hence I might need more off road and snow capability down the road, so to speak.

What do you guys say? 4X2 and a better deal as well as a lower price or 4X4?

By the way, this will be it: 2018 RAM 1500 5.7 V8 HEMI Reg Cab, long bed. Both trucks have an Anti Spin Differential.

Image2.png

I live in Indiana.  I have owned and driven both 2x and 4x trucks over the years.  In the winter months here, most of the time 4x4 is not needed.  You can get by with 2x by putting weight in the bed.  As a young man I would simply shovel snow into the bed for the extra weight. 

But 4x4 is nice.  I especially like the GM -the 4x4 can be set so the truck goes into 4x when needed. 

I would pop for the 4x4.  Its going to be worth more at trade in/sell time too. 

• Like 3

never had truck without it .  never will.  its better to have and not need then to need and not have . 

i mean i got 2 cj7 jeeps  4x4   and i put a winch on one , i may never even hit the button  on it . but there it is if i need it  

and when florence hit , i needed it and it came in handy moving trees  and helping me cut down on saw usage  .  and ive had winch  2 years  before i used it . 

Edited by ASH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Look into resale value as well.

If you can live with what the truck is worth in X years and don't need four wheel drive go for the two wheel drive model. I live in MI and the only people that buy two wheel trucks here are the ones that go South  in the winter. Plus resale of a two wheel drive truck here is horrible. 

• Like 2

To clarify on my earlier post,     There's a **** ton of hot rod trucks I would own in 2x4 don't get me wrong.  

But as a useful work truck around these parts yes 4x4 all the way.    

I've seen a hundred guys get stuck on wet grass around here in 2x4 trucks.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, crockett said:

As some may know, I sold my expensive Denali truck because of ongoing issues, and I now give up entirely on expensive cars and trucks. Had way too much stress for the money. So I have finally made up my mind, the only question left is: 2X4 or 4X4 drive?

I found 2 great deals, the 2X4 truck comes with a 23.6% discount, the 4X4 is $4,600 more expensive, and "only" offers a  15.8% discount.

I live in Florida and go "off road" maybe twice a year usually just some sandy roads or the beach. Now, if Florida turns blue in the mid terms, I'll be outta here and will most likely end up in Arizona, Colorado or Wyoming. Hence I might need more off road and snow capability down the road, so to speak.

What do you guys say? 4X2 and a better deal as well as a lower price or 4X4?

By the way, this will be it: 2018 RAM 1500 5.7 V8 HEMI Reg Cab, long bed. Both trucks have an Anti Spin Differential.

Image2.png

If...….………….you stay in Florida, unless you really start going off road in areas without an actual road, you don't need 4x4.  I have a small farm with a dirt/mud road entry to cow pastures and have an F250 super duty 2x4. I have been stuck twice, both times completely off road in mud pulling a load of hay when I dropped off the track. Had to be pulled out both times with tractors.  In my case I wish I had gotten the 4x4 but all in all, the 2x4 will get you thru most places. 

Edited by Citra47
  • Like 1

Well... that's a pretty clear census so far. I forgot about the "moving trees" part, which I will be dealing with even if I stay in FL. At some point soon I want some acreage and will have to clear parts of it.
Resale won't be an issue. I'm really done with buying new and expensive cars and trucks. I had 2 lemons worth over $140k within 1 year. This cheap truck is back to the roots for me, and I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

I had all 4x4's for many years.  Even now that I'm retired and not forced out in Winter snow storms, I have 4 wheel and/or all wheel drive on my SUV's.

I lived almost 30 miles from where I worked and I have to go through two metropolitan areas on the route.  Blizzards and snow storms can drop 12 inches and more on the roadway in a short time so I have to plan on driving when the plows aren't out yet.

I have even been through heavy snow storm that made the metro areas impassable to other vehicles and resulted in many stalled cars blocking streets and highways.  I generally picked roads that had no vehicular traffic due to the heavy snow because I could drive around the blocked areas.  I once gave my daughter a ride to her apartment (she worked at the same company I did) after we had 2 feet of snow.  Her apartment was in a recessed complex with drifted snow 3 feet deep.  I put on chains on the 4x4 and in low range I pushed a groove down into the complex and out the other side.

I always got to work and home, I probably wasn't the first one to my destination, but I always made it.  I have had some trips of 5 and 6 hours for 30 miles in blizzards, to get home.  I wouldn't buy anything else except 4x4's for my commute.  I paid for gas, but not for tow trucks.

If you drive where a car will do, then you don't need a 4 Wheel Drive.  But if you really want to get stuck good! A 4x4 is the only way to go.  Oh, First rule with 4x4, always carry a shovel!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I had all 4x4's for many years.  Even now that I'm retired and not forced out in Winter snow storms, I have 4 wheel and/or all wheel drive on my SUV's.

I lived almost 30 miles from where I worked and I have to go through two metropolitan areas on the route.  Blizzards and snow storms can drop 12 inches and more on the roadway in a short time so I have to plan on driving when the plows aren't out yet.

I have even been through heavy snow storm that made the metro areas impassable to other vehicles and resulted in many stalled cars blocking streets and highways.  I generally picked roads that had no vehicular traffic due to the heavy snow because I could drive around the blocked areas.  I once gave my daughter a ride to her apartment (she worked at the same company I did) after we had 2 feet of snow.  Her apartment was in a recessed complex with drifted snow 3 feet deep.  I put on chains on the 4x4 and in low range I pushed a groove down into the complex and out the other side.

I always got to work and home, I probably wasn't the first one to my destination, but I always made it.  I have had some trips of 5 and 6 hours for 30 miles in blizzards, to get home.  I wouldn't buy anything else except 4x4's for my commute.  I paid for gas, but not for tow trucks.

If you drive where a car will do, then you don't need a 4 Wheel Drive.  But if you really want to get stuck good! A 4x4 is the only way to go.  Oh, First rule with 4x4, always carry a shovel!

Keep a tow strap or two under the back seat and that excess gas pays for it self after you pull a car or 2 out of the median in a snow storm.

• Like 2

Just now, Mike said:

Keep a tow strap or two under the back seat and that excess gas pays for it self after you pull a car or 2 out of the median in a snow storm.

There is a terrible old joke about that.  The young lady gets stuck in the ditch.  Along come a 4x4 and it stops to help.  She thanks the guy for stopping.  He says you're the second pregnant woman I have pulled out of the ditch today.

She exclaims, oh but I'm not pregnant!  He says, your not out of the ditch yet either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

For me, yes. 

#1 it snows here, a lot. 

#2 I spend a lot of time off of paved roads. Lots of sand and loose gravel. 

For most things I need a truck for 2X4 would be fine in good weather but as it is my work-commuter-recreation. Vehicle, I want 4X4

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Like 1

I'm in Iowa, and I've rarely been without it.

That said, I've also rarely needed it.  But when I do, up here, it's sorely needed.

That said, the running joke is that the biggest difference between 2x4 and 4x4 is about 50 feet of cable.

The price difference you mention can pay for a helluva lot of tows and pull outs (normally covered by roadside assistance anyway) or overnight hotel stays.  

I'd go with 2 wheel drive if I lived in Florida.  I'd done 2 wheel drive here, too.  I just had to drive like I had a brain.

• Like 2

"Should a truck have 4X4?"

Pickup trucks might need it. My 4Runner has it because I go on the beach and also drag my boat to lakes and ponds that don't have ramps, only banks.. Tractor trailers, moving vans and the usual run-of-the-mill delivery trucks probably don't need it. Fire trucks have hoses so I guess they don't need 4WD most of the time to reach the fire.

• Like 1

The first year I worked in Kentucky, they got hit with the worst ice and snow in years.  Guy with 4WD stopped part way up a snowy and icey hill just in front of me, probably just to prove he could get going again.  He did, right into the ditch.  I just drove my rear wheel drive car and proceeded to work.  News said the tow trucks pulled out more 4WD’s than all other types put together.  Since I am from Michigan, I had no problems.???

That being said, if you drive in the conditions you describe, even in FL, I’d say the 4x4 and run in 2x4 to save gas.  JMO.

Hawk

• Like 1

If you can afford 4 wheel drive, get it.  I drive a Wrangler in the city.  Have used the 4 wheel drive only twice, on visits to the beach.  Why a Wrangler in the City?  Everthing’s big in Texas, including the pot holes.

But I know I have it if I need it. 

• Like 2

Back when I was in high school, most of the guys I knew with trucks all had 4wd.

One winter, we were all at the local parts store. It had snowed quite a bit. One of the 4wd guys, looked at the large snow covered corn field across the street and said "I can make it across that". Well, he was wrong, but the second 4wd guy says "I'll pull you out". Well he didn't. Then the third and fourth each attempted to come to the rescue.

At the end of the day, I hopped in my old  2wd F100 and drove home on the snow covered roads. The four pickups remained stuck for 3 days before the pissed off farmer agreed to pull them out with his tractor.

Depending on how you use your truck, 4 wheel drive can be a great thing when you really need it. Not so much of a good thing if you let it make you stupid.

• Like 1