Any serious contenders to the G27?

PNWguy

Looking to replace my Taurus G2c 9mm with a similarly sized .40 s&w pistol with around 10 round capacity.

G27 looks like the best option.  Regular CCW is the XDS 40 with only 6 round capacity.  Twelve rounds in the G2c was comforting.

Maybe the 320sc?  M&Pc 40?

G27 would be a blue label purchase.

Don't scream.

I'm not a Glock devote.  They freakin just work.  But I'm not drinkin the cool-aid.

That being said.  G27 is pretty close to impossible to beat if you have other Glock 40s.

In that size...it might be perfect.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

My GSSF pistol is G35 Gen 4.  Don't like the trigger and it's not all that accurate.

My G29 gen 4 has a great trigger and is amazingly accurate, though.

Weird.

Ahh the g29.  Now there's an interesting pistol and freakishly accurate.

• Like 2

If you have a G22 the G27 is the best choice IMO. I carry a G17/26 combo on duty myself. 

For just a daily carry the G27 wouldn’t be my preference. I would want something with a little more grip and weight to smooth out the recoil. 

I’d want a P239 personally, but thats a 7+1 capacity, short of your 10 round requirement. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Looking to replace my Taurus G2c 9mm with a similarly sized .40 s&w pistol with around 10 round capacity.

G27 looks like the best option.  Regular CCW is the XDS 40 with only 6 round capacity.  Twelve rounds in the G2c was comforting.

Maybe the 320sc?  M&Pc 40?

G27 would be a blue label purchase.

G27 for me.  I love mine.

• Like 1

Search is over.  Ordered a S&W M&P40c with night sights for $349 from CDNN.  With the $50 rebate for veterans, under $300.

Ironic since that was my CCW for years.  I sold it to a friend on a payment plan for $350 who couldn't afford a gun.

Then I bought the PC Shield and had a bunch of issues.  Bought the XDS 40 and love it, but missed the extra rounds.

Full circle, I guess...

Ironically, I made the decision to buy the M&P40c rather than the G27 after watching a Hickock45 video in which he compared the two side by side.

He said you really couldn't get the 9th round in the G27 magazine without a loader, and it made the magazine really difficult to seat. 

And knowing how wildly different all my Glock triggers have been, I knew what I was getting with the M&P. 

Maybe someday when Glock gets around to upgrading their .40 S&W pistols I will take another look.

• Like 1

Congrats on your new Smith. A really good price and having owned one before, you know what you're getting. :cheers:

I'm currently at a stage where I stick with what has worked for me. I really like my 27/35 combination. Now that the weather is finally cooling off, I may switch over from my 43/19 for awhile. While there is nothing wrong with the M&P series, I just prefer a common trigger, the utter simplicity of maintenance and interchangeable magazines of the Glock line. If I was ever forced to sell most of my firearms, the 27 would be in the final few holdouts. The 27 is an awesome package.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, PNWguy said:

Search is over.  Ordered a S&W M&P40c with night sights for $349 from CDNN.  With the $50 rebate for veterans, under $300.

Clue me in if you don't mind..

Do you prefer the M&p40c in 40 over the M&P40 compact 2.0, either 3.6 or 4"?

Grabagun has the 2.0 3.6 for 385.00, for example.

Just curious as I don't have either and am not familiar with them.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp9-m2-0-cpct-40sw-3-6-sfty.html

5 hours ago, paul45 said:

Clue me in if you don't mind..

Do you prefer the M&p40c in 40 over the M&P40 compact 2.0, either 3.6 or 4"?

Grabagun has the 2.0 3.6 for 385.00, for example.

Just curious as I don't have either and am not familiar with them.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp9-m2-0-cpct-40sw-3-6-sfty.html

The 2.0 was redesigned to be a Glock 19 contender, and it's a fine pistol, just bigger than what I was looking for.

The original M&P compact is more Glock 27 sized with slightly longer grip and two more real-world rounds.

7 minutes ago, Historian said:

When a 10mm carves out plate tectonic sized chunks of land...why bother with 40?

I shoot .40 S&W out of mine when competing in GSSF.

But yeah, since I reload, I can shoot mild 10mm for the exact same cost as mild .40 when out plinking.

Just now, PNWguy said:

I shoot .40 S&W out of mine when competing in GSSF.

But yeah, since I reload, I can shoot mild 10mm for the exact same cost as mild .40 when out plinking.

I've done the same.  But never admitted it before on a public forum.

We should probably consider some form of repentance and counselling.  It's gotta be like kissing your cousin from West Virginia. She might he pretty but you're still doing something wrong.

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2018 at 4:04 AM, PNWguy said:

Ironically, I made the decision to buy the M&P40c rather than the G27 after watching a Hickock45 video in which he compared the two side by side.

He said you really couldn't get the 9th round in the G27 magazine without a loader, and it made the magazine really difficult to seat. 

And knowing how wildly different all my Glock triggers have been, I knew what I was getting with the M&P. 

Maybe someday when Glock gets around to upgrading their .40 S&W pistols I will take another look.

Load 8 into the 27 mags and leave them that way for a week or so. Then the 9th round goes in it easily enough by hand and it seats just fine.

• Like 1

Congrats. The M&P40c is about the same size as the P2000sk when both have the flat bottom mag plates. BTW in case you are interested I believe you can use the M&P9c barrel in it w/no modification. You may want to ask about that at S&W forum.

SDC12111.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying various loads in the M&P40c and it just isn't working...  Not sure if it's me or the pistol.  It's just no where near as accurate as my old one.  I suspect it may be me as I got great results the day I picked it up, but have been unable to duplicate the results.  

I tried 165gr match loads with plated RMR bullets, then 165gr Speer Gold Dots, then 180gr Hornady XTPs with 2 different powders and 5 different loads.  I've even tried swapping in another S&W M&P40c barrel.  Best group I've managed is 2" at 25yds.  Excellent and meets my criteria.  But I can't duplicate it.  Most groups are 3"-4", which is within spec for the pistol and not bad.  But I'm spoiled getting sub 2" groups with my XDS 40 and Glock 29 consistently and without much effort.

It has the factory night sights, which are fine, and I won't mess with those.  Trigger isn't bad.  Ordered an Apex replacement trigger which is supposed to make it even better.  Still overall pleased with it; it's just not feeling like the old friend I thought it would...