Long-Gone Restuarant Chains You Used To Love

ASH

1 hour ago, ASH said:

here in NC WE LOST  Sweet Tomatoes  man we were pissed .  reasonable  huge salad bar  about 12 different soups to choose from daily , they have some still open in other states 

They closed in Dallas too, about a year ago.

Upstate NY Favorite was Carrols, home of the "Clubburger". Long before the Big Mac or Whopper made its way to Upstate NY there was a great chain that served the Clubburger. SImilar to the Big Mac, but cooked fresh, with larger patties, a tangier sauce, wrapped in a waxed cardboard loop to keep it intact, then boxed.

carrols.jpg

On 9/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, geeorge said:

2950ff881ad671a324ad4d50da34a5bd.jpg

California still has this.  

On 9/10/2017 at 11:44 PM, n2g said:

Ok, I'll bite, lol.  How about Del Taco?  My best friend and I used to grab a quick early supper there sometimes on our way to evening classes at college.  I liked their green burritos.  There may still be some Del Tacos somewhere, but they seem to be long-gone in this neck of the woods.

We have these too.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 11:47 PM, Eric said:

Who remembers when A&W had drive-in restaurants, kind of like Sonic? I've noticed that, in the last twenty years or so, A&W restaurants have been making a comeback, but it isn't the same. These new style restaurants are regular fast food dives. The food is greasy, basic and uninspired. I wouldn't walk across the street to buy a burger there.

The old drive-ins though were great. The food was greasy, basic and uninspired, but it tasted good!:crylikeender: I used to love going there. You get get an A&W Root Beer, or Root Beer Float, in one of those frosted glass A&W mugs. The soda and the floats just seemed to taste better when they were served in an actual 'glass' glass and it had to be frosted. That was damned good stuff.

I've heard people say a couple of times that some of the original drive-ins survived, but I haven't seen one since maybe 1977 or 1977. I miss those places.

4915037956_1050939ac7_b.thumb.jpg.bfd242f426ac9c52f4d2909ab0b2aaae.jpg

When I was 2 my cousin swallowed a nickel at one of these.  His dad turned him upside down and shook him violently until it came out.  He hasn't been right since.  

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2017 at 11:56 PM, Rabbi said:

Well I'll be damned.....!  I just looked it up and they are bringing Steak and Ale back!!!!   

It got tangled up with Bennigans and went down with that ship (I liked Bennigans, they had a turkey pretzel sandwich that was really good)   

The turkey otoole.  I loved that.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 2:47 AM, Eric said:

Who remembers when A&W had drive-in restaurants, kind of like Sonic? I've noticed that, in the last twenty years or so, A&W restaurants have been making a comeback, but it isn't the same. These new style restaurants are regular fast food dives. The food is greasy, basic and uninspired. I wouldn't walk across the street to buy a burger there.

The old drive-ins though were great. The food was greasy, basic and uninspired, but it tasted good!:crylikeender: I used to love going there. You get get an A&W Root Beer, or Root Beer Float, in one of those frosted glass A&W mugs. The soda and the floats just seemed to taste better when they were served in an actual 'glass' glass and it had to be frosted. That was damned good stuff.

I've heard people say a couple of times that some of the original drive-ins survived, but I haven't seen one since maybe 1977 or 1977. I miss those places.

4915037956_1050939ac7_b.thumb.jpg.bfd242f426ac9c52f4d2909ab0b2aaae.jpg

We've got a few of these hybrid A&W's here in Pennsylvania. This one is rather close to my house. 

aw.jpg

6 hours ago, SarahMcGlocklan said:

One thing I miss is the steak finger basket at Dairy Queen, but I think it's just a regional thing only Texas gets.  

Man, Texas has some good food.  I miss snuffers, texadelphia, razoos, abuelas.  

Yeah, you got to love snuffer's and their cheese fries. It looked like they were on their way out a few years ago, but all of a sudden they are growing pretty quickly.

We used to eat at a little seafood place in Rome called The Skrimp Boat. It was loverly! I was visiting there a couple of months ago and was tickled to find that they're still there. Rebuilt and remodeled. The food is great and very affordable (they catch all the seafood in the Etowah every morning). 

If you're ever in Rome, look 'em up. Mention my name for a free extra hushpuppie.  https://marieletseat.com/2014/09/14/the-shrimp-boat-rome-ga/

1043%2520aS%252003.JPG

12 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

I am still THRILLED they are bringing back Steak and Ale. 

I just wanted to say that again.   When the first one opens up, I am getting into Rabbi Plane and away I go!!!!!

If I knew how to fly and owned a plane, I would too.

Best I can hope for is that they decide to reopen in Michigan.  :eat:

• Like 1

One thing I miss are good Jewish delis. Now you guys from New York (and Texas) will laugh and say I really don't know what I'm talking about, but when we moved to ATL (Buckhead) in 89 we could always find a nice little delicatessen for Sunday breakfast. Now it seems they're all gone. And cafeterias, like Picadilly and S&S and Morrison's. And Davis House, home of the Colonel.

Good stuff.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, gwalchmai said:

One thing I miss are good Jewish delis. Now you guys from New York (and Texas) will laugh and say I really don't know what I'm talking about, but when we moved to ATL (Buckhead) in 89 we could always find a nice little delicatessen for Sunday breakfast. Now it seems they're all gone. And cafeterias, like Picadilly and S&S and Morrison's. And Davis House, home of the Colonel.

Good stuff.

Yeah, there is nothing quite like good Jewish deli!

New York is the home, but yep, Texas has a world famous place.  Kenny & Ziggy's (it is soooooo gooooooood)

http://kennyandziggys.com/nonflash/

I would also like to plug a new place in San Antonio that is FANTASTIC!!!!! It is fairly new and is knocking it out of the park.  

Max & Louis's

http://maxandlouiesdiner.com/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

Yeah, there is nothing quite like good Jewish deli!

New York is the home, but yep, Texas has a world famous place.  Kenny & Ziggy's (it is soooooo gooooooood)

http://kennyandziggys.com/nonflash/

I would also like to plug a new place in San Antonio that is FANTASTIC!!!!! It is fairly new and is knocking it out of the park.  

Max & Louis's

http://maxandlouiesdiner.com/

Next time you are in North Dallas or near the DFW airport, try Love and War in Texas. They have great steaks, tons of regional (Texas cuisine) and they are fairly reasonable.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Geko45 said:

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet, Monterey House. They used to be great when I was a kid, but then they started a long downhill slide. I think a location or two has survived independently, but they were all over when I was young.

monterey-house.jpg

Oh....that glorious candy at the bottom of the chips!

There is one left. It is in Beaumont Texas.  I ate there a few months ago.   It tastes the same and has much of the same look.  One of the managers (Sandra?) has been there since the start and takes a lot of pride in being the company historian.  She says people make the pilgrimage all the time to eat at the last Monterey House.    The problem is, you can relive everything BUT that candy.  It is no longer made.  

5 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

Oh....that glorious candy at the bottom of the chips!

Yes! I've tried the candy at every TexMex place I can find and none of it is quite the same. I remember when the location in Spring burned down. That was the end of the glory days of Monterey for us.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Geko45 said:

Yes! I've tried the candy at every TexMex place I can find and none of it is quite the same. I remember when the location in Spring burned down. That was the end of the glory days of Monterey for us.

It was not a typical mexican candy like the stuff made by Segovia. (They also went out of business a few years ago), the stuff in the white/red box mexican places used to sell. The leche quemada is *similar* but not the same.  The stuff at Monterey House was somewhat home made and just for Monterey House.   The Daughter of the original maker has made a batch or two over the years.   It was more of a brown sugar/butter candy. 

I think I worked at half the restaurants you guys are bringing up.

I liked Zantigo's mexican. They were making a come back in Minnesota I believe.

I used to manage Two Pesos, it was much better than Taco Cabana.

BBF or Borden Burger were popular as a kid.

What was the Mexican restaurant that they would bring you more food when you raised the flag?

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Hines57 said:

I think I worked at half the restaurants you guys are bringing up.

I liked Zantigo's mexican. They were making a come back in Minnesota I believe.

I used to manage Two Pesos, it was much better than Taco Cabana.

BBF or Borden Burger were popular as a kid.

What was the Mexican restaurant that they would bring you more food when you raised the flag?

There were a dozen or more Mexican fast food restaurants here in Texas that got bought up by the company that ultimately became Taco Cabana. Several of those restaurants were better than Taco Cabana, IMO.

One of the restaurant chains that got bought up was called Sombrero Rosa. The buildings were shaped like giant sombreros, painted pink. My sister used to work at one in San Antonio, back in the late eighties. It was a goofy looking place, but the food was good.

• Administrators

I remember this restaurant chain that opened in San Antonio, Texas, in the late eighties. They opened three locations at once, which failed spectacularly. I think the whole operation lasted less than six months.

The restaurant chain was called Rapid Rabbit. It was a fast food rabbit restaurant chain. They had these ridiculous commercials, with a young boy wearing a coonskin cap. I used to drive past a couple of the locations, while they were briefly open and I don't think I ever saw more than one car in either of their parking lots. It turns out that the world just was not ready for fast food rabbit.

51DVyIKDjBL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.b5e00373e1b7728e2e0d0c8bacfe3ff0.jpg