'I'm going to shoot the dog': Armed with pellet rifle, Florida man shoots, kills puppy from balcony

TBO

1mn4o5g0niryrzcpihr4hkznhl8papnv.jpg?ito

DAVEY, Fla. — As Roshelle Pearson and her boyfriend took their beloved Princess for a routine walk Saturday night, Sept. 29, a man perched above in a nearby apartment balcony armed with a scoped pellet rifle was planning the puppy's death, police said.

"I'm going to shoot the dog," said 19-year-old Johansen Concepcion De La Ros, according to Daniel Alvarez, who was at the apartment when the shooting occurred.

While walking, Pearson said she then heard a "pop," the Sun-Sentinel reports, but the noise "didn't register that someone had shot the dog," she said.

Shortly after hearing the pop noise, Princess began crying and pulling on her leash.

"There was blood in her mouth and my boyfriend asked what she ate," Pearson told the Sun-Sentinel. "I held her and talked to her."

Minutes later, the 6-pound Chihuahua puppy was dead.

Pearson bought Princess for her 8-year-old daughter in April.

Shortly before the shooting, Miguel Osorio, a local off-duty police officer, happened to be driving near the apartment building when he said he spotted a man on a balcony with a scoped black rifle. Osario was one of several witnesses to call police Saturday night regarding Concepcion De La Ros, police said.

After officers arrived, police said Pearson was covered in blood and holding a small, limp, brown and white dog in her arms.

A search of Alvaraz's apartment was then conducted by police, and a black scoped rifle was found inside.

After being taken in for questioning, police said Alvarez told them Concepcion De La Ros showed up to his apartment with a pellet rifle and were together on the balcony when Concepcion De La Ros got down on one knee, looked through the scope and said, "I'm going to shoot the dog."

Alvarez told police he then heard a pop of the rifle and the dog's cries.

Concepcion De La Ros told police a different story, however.

He told police the puppy walked into the line of fire around 6:30 p.m. as he was shooting toward a lake from the apartment balcony, the Sun-Sentinel reported, claiming it was all an accident.

After hearing both stories, police arrested Concepcion De La Ros on charges of animal cruelty and transported him to a local jail.

If convicted, he could face five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.