M1 Carbine Clones

DrB

Any of them of any quality?  Mine are US GI but I work with someone who is bent on getting one and is looking at the clones.  The Inland repo. is junk as I see it but he knows more about everything and mentioned that.  I'm keeping my mouth shut....

Any of the Repos. even worth looking at for a plinker?

Dave..

The only ones that are any good are the ones that are 100 percent parts interchangeable with USGI. Of the eons that were not parts compatible, the universal carbines were never really that good but the Iver Johnson's were not bad and the Iver Johnson "Enforcere: pistol was pretty cool.. The Fulton Armory ones arr suppose to be pretty good but cost as much as the real thing. The Auto ordnance ones are more reasonably priced and I think they're parts compatible.   I've never shot an inland repro but the ones I've seen looked pretty good to me. What did you think was wrong with them? did you actually shoot one?

They're fun little guns but chambered for an cartridge that's really not a rifle cartridge and lacks the of some of the better pistol cartridges.  I'd like to see someone chamber one in 10mm auto.

4 hours ago, Borg warner said:

The only ones that are any good are the ones that are 100 percent parts interchangeable with USGI. Of the eons that were not parts compatible, the universal carbines were never really that good but the Iver Johnson's were not bad and the Iver Johnson "Enforcere: pistol was pretty cool.. The Fulton Armory ones arr suppose to be pretty good but cost as much as the real thing. The Auto ordnance ones are more reasonably priced and I think they're parts compatible.   I've never shot an inland repro but the ones I've seen looked pretty good to me. What did you think was wrong with them? did you actually shoot one?

They're fun little guns but chambered for an cartridge that's really not a rifle cartridge and lacks the of some of the better pistol cartridges.  I'd like to see someone chamber one in 10mm auto.

Never shot one, that's why I'm asking.  Where are they made? All I'm going on is what i have heard so any info. from those who know more is much welcome.

Dave..

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Never shot one, that's why I'm asking.  Where are they made? All I'm going on is what i have heard so any info. from those who know more is much welcome.

Dave..

They're made in Dayton, Ohio.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/12/3/inland-m1-carbine-review/

The biggest problem I can see with them is the price. for $1000 dollars I'd rather get a USGI carbine. At least the Auto-ord/Kahr carbines are more affordable, they sell for about $750-800 ande have a 1 year warrantee.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:38 PM, DrB said:

Any of them of any quality?  Mine are US GI but I work with someone who is bent on getting one and is looking at the clones.  The Inland repo. is junk as I see it but he knows more about everything and mentioned that.  I'm keeping my mouth shut....

Any of the Repos. even worth looking at for a plinker?

Dave..

You are wise to keep your opinions to yourself. The only thing dumber than a 'know it all', is a person who argues with one.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:23 PM, willieH said:

You are wise to keep your opinions to yourself. The only thing dumber than a 'know it all', is a person who argues with one.

Seems they had problems with soft cast bolts peening early on but from what I have read they solved that problem. I wish the company good luck.  I want to shoot one now. Won't replace my U.S. GI ones but I would go look at one. 

I bought a Universal 2 spring one in my uniformed youth.  I just want to help someone not make that same mistake..

Edited by DrB
Context.

The Universals are definitely not quality.  I bought one (a 2 spring) for $250 probably about 10-15 years ago.  It barely ran.  I tore it down and cleaned it, then replaced the springs with some from Wolff and it runs pretty well now.  It still isn't what anyone would consider a quality firearm but is probably worth the $250 I paid for it.  I see them selling fro $500 or so now around here, and they're not worth that.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:52 AM, jk_226 said:

The Universals are definitely not quality.  I bought one (a 2 spring) for $250 probably about 10-15 years ago.  It barely ran.  I tore it down and cleaned it, then replaced the springs with some from Wolff and it runs pretty well now.  It still isn't what anyone would consider a quality firearm but is probably worth the $250 I paid for it.  I see them selling fro $500 or so now around here, and they're not worth that.

They had a problem in the later years with some 2 spring ones firing out of battery.  The one I had was iffy with that. I got rid of mine with full disclosure of the problem..  If you have one of the later 2 spring ones check it out to be on the safe side..

Dave