Glock 45

mmcbeat

If I were in the market for a Glock I would probably buy it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I have no plans to replace anything with it though, it isn't that big of a deal to me.

I've been waiting fora Black G19x and it would have been my next gun but I'm disappointed in this one.  Anyone else hate forward slide serrations? I do, and it's a deal-breaker for me.  I guess the only thing I can do now to get a black G19x is to get a G45 and trade slides with someone who has a Gen 5 G19 and end up with a FrankenGlock with mismatched serial numbers.

But if the Glock "Summer Specials" were guns with forward slide serrations, maybe Glock will have a run of "Winter Specials" of the G45 WITHOUT any  dumbass slide serrations. One can only hope.

19 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I've been waiting fora Black G19x and it would have been my next gun but I'm disappointed in this one.  Anyone else hate forward slide serrations? I do, and it's a deal-breaker for me.  I guess the only thing I can do now to get a black G19x is to get a G45 and trade slides with someone who has a Gen 5 G19 and end up with a FrankenGlock with mismatched serial numbers.

But if the Glock "Summer Specials" were guns with forward slide serrations, maybe Glock will have a run of "Winter Specials" of the G45 WITHOUT any  dumbass slide serrations. One can only hope.

I'm with ya.  I typically like front serrations on pistols, but not so much on glocks.  The slab sides and serrations don't play well with ALS duty holsters, and they can drag and hang up on the internal locking system.  Safariland will have to modify their ALS system somehow to prevent this, cause I'm telling you it will become an issue.  I discovered the problem when I had my 4th Gen G19FS guns.  Murphys law shows up at the darndest time, and this was a no go for me.  

Regular folks won't have this issues, but the gun was supposed to be designed specifically for LE.  The serrations are the only thing that will keep me from ever carrying one unless I know the holsters are fixed.  

With that, I honestly have no reason to pick one as I have two 19X's that I modified to work with 5th generation and all other magazines, and turned them black including DLC on the slides.  IMO they are the best duty pistols I have had.  

ecdhYdK.jpg

The serrations make sense on an MOS gun, especially since they use a different holster without the ALS system, so that won't be an issue.  I keep wondering if Glock really did their homework on this one, or just threw every option that was brought to the table on it without question.   The gun would have sold just as well if they would have left the serrations off of it.

Go find you a nice clean used 19X, and turn it black.  FYI I have done quite a few for customers, and surprisingly I have had a lot more 19X owners that saw the G45s and think the same thing you do.  I have several inbound right now for the same treatment.  :)

In case your wondering how close to factory does the work look? here it is next to my 19.5

LaNQiDs.jpg

TXPO

Edited by Texaspoff
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Texaspoff said:

I'm with ya.  I typically like front serrations on pistols, but not so much on glocks.  The slab sides and serrations don't play well with ALS duty holsters, and they can drag and hang up on the internal locking system.  Safariland will have to modify their ALS system somehow to prevent this, cause I'm telling you it will become an issue.  I discovered the problem when I had my 4th Gen G19FS guns.  Murphys law shows up at the darndest time, and this was a no go for me.  

Regular folks won't have this issues, but the gun was supposed to be designed specifically for LE.  The serrations are the only thing that will keep me from ever carrying one unless I know the holsters are fixed.  

With that, I honestly have no reason to pick one as I have two 19X's that I modified to work with 5th generation and all other magazines, and turned them black including DLC on the slides.  IMO they are the best duty pistols I have had.  

ecdhYdK.jpg

The serrations make sense on an MOS gun, especially since they use a different holster without the ALS system, so that won't be an issue.  I keep wondering if Glock really did their homework on this one, or just threw every option that was brought to the table on it without question.   The gun would have sold just as well if they would have left the serrations off of it.

Go find you a nice clean used 19X, and turn it black.  FYI I have done quite a few for customers, and surprisingly I have had a lot more 19X owners that saw the G45s and think the same thing you do.  I have several inbound right now for the same treatment.  :)

In case your wondering how close to factory does the work look? here it is next to my 19.5

LaNQiDs.jpg

TXPO

Did you use RIT dye on the frame?  If so? would you mind giving a brief description of how it was done? What was the concentration of the dye, was it liquid or powdered, what  temperature did it need to be ehated to,, and how long did the frame needed to be immersed?

The pictures of you work look great, 100 percent professional.

24 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Did you use RIT dye on the frame?  If so? would you mind giving a brief description of how it was done? What was the concentration of the dye, was it liquid or powdered, what  temperature did it need to be ehated to,, and how long did the frame needed to be immersed?

The pictures of you work look great, 100 percent professional.

I used the liquid rit dye and heated it just to boiling.  Not really any specific concentration, I just added some to the water until it turned black.  Heated it up and put the frame in the water for about 20 minutes.  The most important thing is to clean the frame very well.  Anywhere there is even the slightest bit of oil or grease and the dye won't take.   After 30 minutes, I removed the frame, washed it under the tap and let it dry out.  

Now the modification for the magazines is a different ball game all together.  Also FWIW, I am kind or a professional at gun work....Cold Bore Customs....?

TXPO

Edited by Texaspoff
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Texaspoff said:

I used the liquid rit dye and heated it just to boiling.  Not really any specific concentration, I just added some to the water until it turned black.  Heated it up and put the frame in the water for about 20 minutes.  The most important thing is to clean the frame very well.  Anywhere there is even the slightest bit of oil or grease and the dye won't take.   After 30 minutes, I removed the frame, washed it under the tap and let it dry out.  

Now the modification for the magazines is a different ball game all together.  Also FWIW, I am kind or a professional at gun work....Cold Bore Customs....?

TXPO

Xlnt!  I'm amazed that the dye works so well on polymer* when it doesn't really work all that well on cloth.  If you have a website for cold bore customs please post it. I'm always telling people "Support Your Local Gunsmith".  I've had a couple of good friends who were gunsmiths who were very good at what they did.

The gunsmith that I sometimes take work to now is an absolute genius when it comes to any kind of trigger mechanism. He did a trigger job on a Browning Hi-power that just has to be experienced to be believed. He's also done triggers on my Ruger Charger, Savage 110, and Browning ATD 22. I even worked for a gunsmith for a while doing counter sales when I first moved to Washington state. 

*Glock frames are not exactly "Polymer" they are supposedly DuPont Zytel brand glass-reinforced polyamide 66 but Glock says that it's a trade secret.

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Xlnt!  I'm amazed that the dye works so well on polymer* when it doesn't really work all that well on cloth.  If you have a website for cold bore customs please post it. I'm always telling people "Support Your Local Gunsmith".  I've had a couple of good friends who were gunsmiths who were very good at what they did.

The gunsmith that I sometimes take work to now is an absolute genius when it comes to any kind of trigger mechanism. He did a trigger job on a Browning Hi-power that just has to be experienced to be believed. He's also done triggers on my Ruger Charger, Savage 110, and Browning ATD 22. I even worked for a gunsmith for a while doing counter sales when I first moved to Washington state. 

*Glock frames are not exactly "Polymer" they are supposedly DuPont Zytel brand glass-reinforced polyamide 66 but Glock says that it's a trade secret.

I usually have my website attached to my tagline, I haven't gotten that far with it yet.  

As far as Glocks polymer it is a non reinforced Nylon 6 recipe, a polyamide nylon which as you said is a trade secret, and they ain't telling...LOL.  They are the only manufacturer not reinforcing their polymer.  It is also the easiest to work with because of not having glass or some other fiber mixed in with it.  Sig and S&W are the worst as far as their mixture.  It has a very narrow working temp, from allowing it to accept texturing to it burning.  H&K is right behind them....

TXPO

Edited by Texaspoff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ida got one if it came out before or at the same time but now I'm so attached to the 19X even the color has grown on me.  I'm surprised people are down on front serrations. I don't care one way or the other but I wouldn't pass on a gun because it doesn't work with a particular holster.  Holster makers will adapt, trust me. 

On 10/14/2018 at 11:27 AM, MikeG36 said:

I'm tempted to pick one up but I'm probably going to wait a bit longer. That new Gen5 G19MOS is likely going to be my next, but with me, you'll never know for sure until it happens. ;) 

I purchased a G45 yesterday. I haven’t shot it yet but probably will Tuesday. I looked at the G19 MOS and was very impressed. What I didn’t care for was the fact that the cut for the rear sight is way back on the slide. So far back that a lot of aftermarket sights will hang off the back.

54E11822-7C75-46F9-9B8B-1376FE155519.jpeg

On 9/27/2018 at 8:47 PM, Borg warner said:

Here ya go!

5179BC4C-2E03-4B79-8B13-7D2902519F31.jpeg

I picked up a blue label 45 yesterday as well. 

I compared it with the 19X, and the forward serrations didn't bother me any more than the lip on the bottom of the 19X front strap. 

I do have a strong preference for the black color. There was a $140 difference in price between the 45 and 19X which seems excessive (too much for night sights and a butt plug?)

FzjtrT2.jpg

Edited by 9x19