Which translation

BMyers

Translation  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which translation of the Bible do you normal read/take with you to church?

• KJV
    • NIV
    • ESV
    • ASV
    • NLT
    • NKJV
    • MSG
    • RSV
    • NAS

I answered NASB, because I use it often for detail work or study, but my main translation (NT only at the moment) for last year or so is a newer translation:

The Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV).    http://wartburgproject.org/   IMO, they have one of best translation philosophies I've seen in a while.  Their balance of a natural reading text with accurate translation has repeatedly impressed me as I've worked with it. 

In early childhood, it was KJV and RSV.  Later my childhood church switched to NIV when it was released and I used it for some years.  Admittedly, the '84 rendition had some real quirky translational choices already, but the 2011 revision takes a more ideological approach to translation, so I've dropped it.

Depending on purpose, my choice for an English translation varies between NASB, NKJV, and ESV; but, the EHV predominates.

IMG_20180926_165310375.thumb.jpg.820a1293d97100a039a8ee28523ec4a8.jpg

My EHV working copy:

IMG_20180926_165559363.thumb.jpg.e329b987a3ed556e9f365fa50bedc492.jpg

Edited by Maccabeus

NAB

The New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) Released on March 9, 2011, the New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) is the culmination of nearly 20 years of work by a group of nearly 100 scholars and theologians, including bishops, revisers and editors

Stemming originally from the Confraternity Bible, a translation of the Vulgate by the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, the project transitioned to translating the original biblical languages in response to Pope Pius XII's 1943 encyclical Divino afflante Spiritu.The effort eventually became the New American Bible under the liturgical principles and reforms of the Second Vatican Council (1962–1965).

10 hours ago, Dric902 said:

NAB

The New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) Released on March 9, 2011, the New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) is the culmination of nearly 20 years of work by a group of nearly 100 scholars and theologians, including bishops, revisers and editors

Stemming originally from the Confraternity Bible, a translation of the Vulgate by the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, the project transitioned to translating the original biblical languages in response to Pope Pius XII's 1943 encyclical Divino afflante Spiritu.The effort eventually became the New American Bible under the liturgical principles and reforms of the Second Vatican Council (1962–1965).

I didn't include any Catholic Bibles on my list, I should of paid more attention. I forget at times that there are denominations that use slightly different versions. Being raised protestant (which you can tell by the list of Bibles), I forget about some of the translations. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 7:20 AM, BMyers said:

I didn't include any Catholic Bibles on my list, I should of paid more attention. I forget at times that there are denominations that use slightly different versions. Being raised protestant (which you can tell by the list of Bibles), I forget about some of the translations. Sorry about that.

No sweat

it is really an excellent translation, if you don’t want to read tha Apocryphal books. Skip them.

but they spent years going back to as close as the original texts as possible and translated them directly into English, rather than a translation of a translation 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dric902 said:

No sweat

it is really an excellent translation, if you don’t want to read tha Apocryphal books. Skip them.

but they spent years going back to as close as the original texts as possible and translated them directly into English, rather than a translation of a translation 

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on the NABRE in particular and haven't spent much time in the various translations commonly used in Roman Catholic circles.

Having said that, it might be worth highlighting an aspect or two of the NABRE that I'm aware of that relate to your statement that it is "as close... as possible".

+ NABRE is a true translation as you mention, which is an improvement over the DR and JB, which were effectively translations of translations. 

~ NABRE tends to use inclusive language.  That translational decision can limit accuracy to the wording of the original texts.  Sometimes it better captures meaning (a literal "brothers" that carries the intent of speaking to a mixed crowd and therefore is translated "brothers & sisters" captures the sense, but not the wording), but other times it obscures individual application by using plural pronouns instead of singular or clouds prophetic references to Jesus.)  This doesn't have to be a deal breaker, but readers should know this when they pick up a bible.  

+ My understanding is that the NABRE walked back some of the inclusive language that was in an earlier NAB revision.  In the Psalms mostly, I believe.  

~ NABRE uses the Greek "Critical Text" for the New Testament.  That's typical of almost all modern translations, but it brings certain assumptions about which ancient Greek manuscripts are the most reliable.  Certain passages will be called into question or relegated to your footnotes.  Despite 200 years of Liberal theologians rejecting passages like John 8, the end of Mark 16, and numerous smaller verses or words, there are strong arguments in favor of most of them as original.  Conclusions vary and I don't see this as a deal breaker even though I favor the inclusion of most of those doubted passages, but, again, a reader should know the editorial decisions of the Critical Text are rooted in the opinions of liberal rationalists.

- In some ways, NABRE is behind the times.  In the ever controversial Isaiah 7:14 quoted by Matthew as a fulfilment of prophecy regarding Jesus' virginal conception they opt for "young woman" instead of "virgin".  Protestants had this debate the better part of a century ago.  1901 ASV: Virgin --> 1952 RSV: Young woman --> 2001 ESV: Virgin.  The liberal theologians (and those who bought their argument) lobbied long and hard on the claim that the Hebrew word Almah doesn't mean virgin and shouldn't be translated that way.  That thinking prevailed for some time.  These days, translators are more comfortable using "virgin" again.  Yes, the original Hebrew word can have a broader nuance of a sexually mature but unmarried woman as opposed to specifically highlighting someone's virginity per se, but in ancient Jewish culture, the cultural expectation and assumption was that any unmarried "maiden" would in fact be a virgin.  Besides which, the Jewish translators who put the TaNak/Old Testament into Greek used the Greek word for virgin in that verse.  And that was before Jesus was ever born!  So, obviously, the Jews of that era believed Isaiah used the word virgin. 

That's the long way to say that the NABRE, like every translation, does have it's quirks and it doesn't hurt to read a couple different translations side by side when studying the Word.

Edited by Maccabeus

ESV, because that's what our pastor uses.  Used NIV before.

That said - The Living and Good News versions (paraphrased versions) can put a new "twist" on things.

What I get a laugn out of is people who think the original translation is the King James.  There's nothing really wrong with the KJV but it's not a "special" translation either.

• Like 1

I'm over 70 and grew up with the King James Version and that's what I have at home and the language is as familiar to me as modern English. I don't like to see the language turned around or paraphrased and prefer to attend churches that use the King James Version but I can still get the meaning out of the newer versions but it always seems to me like something is missing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It wouldn't let me vote for multiple versions.  I usually take the NKJV, because it fits in my purse.  If I'm carrying a bigger bag, I'll take the NIV.  If I feel like practicing my Spanish, I'll take the Biblia de Las Americas (definitely NOT the Reina Valera).  I have a Polish NT around here somewhere, but my Polish isn't up to it, yet.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 4:34 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

It wouldn't let me vote for multiple versions.  I usually take the NKJV, because it fits in my purse.  If I'm carrying a bigger bag, I'll take the NIV.  If I feel like practicing my Spanish, I'll take the Biblia de Las Americas (definitely NOT the Reina Valera).  I have a Polish NT around here somewhere, but my Polish isn't up to it, yet.

na zdrowie! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

...I prefer my app on my phone of the Jewish Bible, at least they get the names right.

Believers learning English as a second language probably don't even recognize names like Eve & Elijah, Jesus & James outside their context. It's quite interesting how some names remain quite close to the originals while others are crazy different.  :crazy:

Of course, bringing my name into Japanese makes it unrecognisable, too.  And, that's only a single language shift. No detours through Greek and/or Latin first. The joys of language translation.

:Alex:

Looking how words are translated is interesting to me. Also understanding how meanings of words change. 

The common example I use is for a can of Pepsi, depending on what part of the United States in you would order a 'pop', a 'soda', or a 'Coke'. 

Another example is looking at old death certificates, you will see people died of 'consumption' which today it would be listed as 'tuberculous'. 

Then you get into context, such has 'he is cool'. Got to know the context because that could mean a person is physically cold or that he is admired. 

Translating from one language to the next is no easy task. It is important to understand how your version of the Bible approaches this process so you can get the most out of the translation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had to start teaching my kids Spanish, so to do a little review for myself, I went back to my Biblia de Las Americas.  Which, in case anyone is wondering, is NOT the same as the Reina-Valera that was translated 70 years before the KJV.

For English, I like the NKJV for being able to put the Psalms to music, and the NIV for ease of understanding.  There is an ESV on my phone, but it isn't my fave.

• Like 1

I have tried to teach my children Spanish.  However, they prefer to learn it in school.  My wife and I are fairly fluent.  Though she still does it without the proper accent, which hurts.  Though, like in most things I am better at slang, and she is better at grammar.  I have been working on Hebrew which is a mind twister compared to Spanish or English.  Everything is right to left, and unless you know your Alef-Bet inside and out (I have flash cards) it is difficult.  Phonetic Hebrew is easier.  Then I confuse myself with Yiddish on the side.  There is not a Yiddish Bible, to my knowledge.  And given the fact most of the time Yiddish is used to express a rude thought, I would be surprised to see one.  My wife has no interest in learning Hebrew for obvious reasons.  My son does.  We often converse about Messianic songs where they go back and forth about why English when they could have said that in Hebrew?  Some will breaking out and say Holy God, and we look at each other and ask why didn't they just say Kadosh Hashem?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Moshe said:

...  Phonetic Hebrew is easier.  ...

I'm assuming you mean reading it transliterated into English-Latin alphabet. (?)

Funny, I can't make any sense out of the transliterations! The only way I know what I'm looking at is to read it in Hebrew letters.

Now, admittedly, my familiarity is only a very narrow slice. I don't know Yiddish, I don't know Hebrew conversationally, and my training is only in ancient/Tiberian Hebrew.  It's got to be the block letters and I need my vowel points! Modern Hebrew throws me off just as much as the transliterations do. And, of course my pronunciation is all "wrong" to modern speakers, because I use the academic version where my vavs are waws, etc.  I always want to call Gal Gadot, Gal "Gadoth." 

Spanish, on the other hand, is a bridge too far for me.  Give me my ancient Hebrew, Greek, & Latin. Maybe one day I'll truly tackle a modern language.

18 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

I'm assuming you mean reading it transliterated into English-Latin alphabet. (?)

Funny, I can't make any sense out of the transliterations! The only way I know what I'm looking at is to read it in Hebrew letters.

Now, admittedly, my familiarity is only a very narrow slice. I don't know Yiddish, I don't know Hebrew conversationally, and my training is only in ancient/Tiberian Hebrew.  It's got to be the block letters and I need my vowel points! Modern Hebrew throws me off just as much as the transliterations do. And, of course my pronunciation is all "wrong" to modern speakers, because I use the academic version where my vavs are waws, etc.  I always want to call Gal Gadot, Gal "Gadoth." 

Spanish, on the other hand, is a bridge too far for me.  Give me my ancient Hebrew, Greek, & Latin. Maybe one day I'll truly tackle a modern language.

I can speak a few words from Yiiddish, and of course Hebrew in the transliterated.  The Alef-Bet takes awhile, as there are far more block letters than in English or Spanish.  The ultimate goal is to work with the block letters.  The only problem I see with reading block letters in the Alef-Bet for Paleo Hebrew, is there is absolutely no punctuation.  It is like one really long run on sentence.   Punctuation was created by those who translated various versions in various other languages.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moshe said:

I can speak a few words from Yiiddish, and of course Hebrew in the transliterated.  The Alef-Bet takes awhile, as there are far more block letters than in English or Spanish.  The ultimate goal is to work with the block letters.  The only problem I see with reading block letters in the Alef-Bet for Paleo Hebrew, is there is absolutely no punctuation.  It is like one really long run on sentence.   Punctuation was created by those who translated various versions in various other languages.

The early Greek manuscripts of the New Testament are also written without punctuation or spacing; although, at least Greek has vowels in their words.  Thank the Lord for the Masoretes and all their effort to add vowel points into the Hebrew text!

• Like 1