5 major features Android phones need

TBO

My first smart phone was a Droid Razor.  Loved it!

Five years later, I upgraded to a Droid Moto Z2 Play.  I've had this phone for about a month or so and still can't figure it out and have multiple issues.  Hate it.  Contact list from old phone was transferred incomplete; I'd get the names but only half of them had phone numbers.  I have three messaging apps for some reason.  I took photos with my old phone and they would upload to Amazon Prime photos within a few minutes of getting home to my Wi-Fi.  Now, the current phone can take days to upload photos, or sometimes not at all.

Long battery life was one of the big features of this phone and so far, it is about half of what my old phone was capable of.

This will likely be my last Droid phone.

LOVE my Samsung Note 8. With my regular use I've been getting 28-36 hours between charges. I probably spend most of my time using email for work, texting, Facebook and Instagram so no heavy video usage but this phone is amazing. Samsung won big points with me with Samsung Pay as well. Google Pay worked worse than Apple Pay but Samsung Pay works pretty much every where I've tried with the exception of a couple places that have really shitty card machines.

I use Nine Email for mail and Signal for texting/messaging. Signal is awesome because it works with SMS/MMS as well as internet/data based messaging similar to Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp so the guys I chat with most can send/receive high quality pics and videos that MMS won't handle. It's really nice having it all in one app instead of needing separate apps. Nine Mail is awesome for the amount of stuff I do for work and works perfectly with our signing and encryption through Exchange. Even though it was $10, it was very worth it because it feels like the most fully featured email apps I've ever tried. Most email apps use very basic text and font while this one does so much more with HTML and Rich text. 

I could never switch to an iPhone without feeling like it's a huge downgrade and other Android devices don't feel as good to me either.

13 hours ago, G19 DB said:

Love my android.  Then again, I'm a basic phone user.  I can't believe people shell out the kind of money they do for them.  It's a phone people.   

...and don't txt & drv.

It's a scam.

I've had a cell phone since 1997.  I got whatever flip phone came with the plan.  I finally got a smart phone in 2013.  It was free with the plan.  When I went to replace it last month, I asked what the cheapest Droid smart phone that came with my plan was.  I was told that they don't do that anymore and now I have to buy one of their phones.  But no worries, I can just finance it through them and the cheapest option was going to add $16 a month to my phone bill.

In my little town, the only cell company that has coverage is Verizon.  So I am stuck with them if I want cell service at my house.  Seems to me that anti-trust laws should apply to consumers like me who virtually have no choice in providers.

But in this era, we apparently have no qualms about monopolies and corporations doing whatever they want.  

I usually keep phones for several years. Been using the Galaxy S series. Started with the S3, moved to the S5, and am currently on the S8.

This is not a phone; it's a video camera/player/editing studio, music player, personal computer, gaming system, E-reader, GPS, flashlight, translator, calendar, clock, & messenger that you can use make phone calls.

Mrs BK and my three daughters all use iPhones.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 8:48 AM, PNWguy said:

It's a scam.

I've had a cell phone since 1997.  I got whatever flip phone came with the plan.  I finally got a smart phone in 2013.  It was free with the plan.  When I went to replace it last month, I asked what the cheapest Droid smart phone that came with my plan was.  I was told that they don't do that anymore and now I have to buy one of their phones.  But no worries, I can just finance it through them and the cheapest option was going to add $16 a month to my phone bill.

In my little town, the only cell company that has coverage is Verizon.  So I am stuck with them if I want cell service at my house.  Seems to me that anti-trust laws should apply to consumers like me who virtually have no choice in providers.

But in this era, we apparently have no qualms about monopolies and corporations doing whatever they want.  

You can do redpocket  - they are a MVNO that works on verizon's network, but MUCH cheaper.  I'm out in the sticks too, so Verizon is my only option, but I pay redpocket a fraction of what I use to pay Verizon.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:54 PM, PNWguy said:

My first smart phone was a Droid Razor.  Loved it!

Five years later, I upgraded to a Droid Moto Z2 Play.  I've had this phone for about a month or so and still can't figure it out and have multiple issues.  Hate it.  Contact list from old phone was transferred incomplete; I'd get the names but only half of them had phone numbers.  I have three messaging apps for some reason.  I took photos with my old phone and they would upload to Amazon Prime photos within a few minutes of getting home to my Wi-Fi.  Now, the current phone can take days to upload photos, or sometimes not at all.

Long battery life was one of the big features of this phone and so far, it is about half of what my old phone was capable of.

This will likely be my last Droid phone.

This sounds like a user problem.  Your five year old phone/software/apps are NOT going to work the same on your new phone.  You should seek some guidance from your provider.  Your experience is not typical.