portable battery powered speaker

ARP

I needs a new one. Application: when I am at work and do not have passengers on my bus, I listen to my XM radio via a powered speaker. Trying to run the XM through the bus sound system does not work very well, have to rely on a XM radio docking device to send fm signal sent to fm receiver and then broadcast thru bus sound system. Sometimes I'll have a unit that has a jack and I can run a direct line to bus sound system, very rare on that application. 

I am using my third and final JBL flip 4 device, the battery is shot, won't hold a charge and have to always have the charger cord plugged in and even then something fails and I gotta shut the radio off and let the battery charge a bit before resuming. So I am looking for a better powered speaker than the JBL, I like the JBL sound output and tone, but the battery is the suck. I have tried cheaper units that sound tinny and low bass output. Sent them packing.

Any suggestions of brands to look at?

2 hours ago, Collim1 said:

I’ve been using this one, Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth Speaker II - Aquatic Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HETFPK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_N0aQBbA44FPBR, for several years now with no issues. 

The sound quality is very very good for such a small speaker. 

Hmmm....read a bunch of sour reviews that sounds like the battery life is worse than the JBL. Currently looking for my Walmart receipt, think I have had this unit less than a year.

Here is what I am up against, the equipment I drive, it greatly varies in age by today's electronic standards. Our coaches are equipped with several power outlets near the drivers seat area. Almost all are cigarette plug type outlets, some are usb. This is just to power up my electronics (gps unit and xm radio), so I probably have 3 outlets and maybe 4 and I have a splitter that will give me enough outlets to run my stuff. My XM is NOT bluetoof, I need it to be a mini corded connection. I looked at the Bose, don't see that it has a jack for that.

10 minutes ago, ARP said:

Hmmm....read a bunch of sour reviews that sounds like the battery life is worse than the JBL. Currently looking for my Walmart receipt, think I have had this unit less than a year.

Here is what I am up against, the equipment I drive, it greatly varies in age by today's electronic standards. Our coaches are equipped with several power outlets near the drivers seat area. Almost all are cigarette plug type outlets, some are usb. This is just to power up my electronics (gps unit and xm radio), so I probably have 3 outlets and maybe 4 and I have a splitter that will give me enough outlets to run my stuff. My XM is NOT bluetoof, I need it to be a mini corded connection. I looked at the Bose, don't see that it has a jack for that.

I’ve never used the JBL, so I can’t compare. I use the Bose around the house and on the boat, mainly to play Pandora through my phone. 

If battery life is a concern In theory you could use the aux cable port and have longer battery life compared to Bluetooth   

The battery life has always been adequate for me whether it’s an afternoon BBQ in the backyard or a day on the boat. 

Edited by Collim1

6 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

I’ve never used the JBL, so I can’t compare. I use the Bose around the house and on the boat, mainly to play Pandora through my phone. 

If battery life is a concern In theory you could use the aux cable port and have longer battery life compared to Bluetooth   

The battery life has always been adequate for me whether it’s an afternoon BBQ in the backyard or a day on the boat. 

So it has a mini jack port for a cable to run from speaker to mini jack port of the XM?

My ear buds that I also run with the xm are Bose.

I have had some time this afternoon to rack my brain, stop by a Walmart, and surf amazon. What I have come up with so far is Cambridge Soundworks, Klipsch, Sony, are the ones I am looking at, all under $100 budget. Tons of reviews on the Cambridge unit. Many complaining about the blue toof clumsy sync up, not a concern of mine at all considering the application I plan to use. From reviews I read, the Cambridge and the Anker are on the same level of quality. Cambridge is about $40, Klipsch is $75, Sony $80. My dock station for my xm radio is crapping out too, gotta order one of those.

So...found a bunch of youtube reviews of all the above mentioned units, I ordered the Cambridge unit. Watching the reviews trying to compare difference is a complete waste of time, I'm trying to compare sound thru a different set of speakers other than actual unit I'm reviewing. Unfortunately, there is no brick and mortar to go check these out. I'm sure the Cambridge unit will work out just fine.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:11 PM, Moeman said:

too big and expensive for application. One of my passengers had one with them and I looked it over. I have to be able to have the speaker some where near my driver compartment.