Art Deco

DrB

On 8/20/2019 at 9:28 PM, Eric said:

7DFF4686-7C05-49E2-8647-52D4F9F2D31D.jpeg

I'm a radio guy.  Right now I'm sitting next to 8 transceivers and two receivers.  

This photo makes my day.  So much class and elegance.   What things were heard on these radios?   Music and news?  Did one of them tell us the war is over?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 2/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, janice6 said:

I remember at one scout outing on a golf course when a few other scouts and I snuck off into town and returned with a half-dozen packs of Kent Cigarettes.  I didn't like them……  too mild.

One of the many brands I smoked “back in the day.” Mild was good because you smoked more during the day to get your quota of tar and nicotine. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tous said:

Yes, young'uns.

Cigarettes were advertised on  television.

I still remember this one.

An ear worm in its day.

Thanks a lot, now that damn jingle is going to be stuck in my head all day.  I remember those commercials all too well. 

Dave..

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 5:10 PM, railfancwb said:

Smoking was a big thing during the heyday of Art Deco

Smoking back then was "Classy" everyone wanted to be witty and clever like the movie stars.  Later when I got old enough to breath, smoking was cool...…….

I did find a side benefit to me for smoking.  I loaded my coffee with cream and sugar then when you added the Cigarettes it would kill my appetite and I could work on my electronics for the full day, and night.  My father got used to me going to bed around 2 AM.

• Like 2

Seriously, I liked analog because when everything turned to crap, you could look at the distorted signal and see in it's composition where in the signal path the problem occurred.

MY son is a Digital Engineer and when he has troubles he has to look at each and every function, from the beginning to the end to find the fault.

I always felt that analog signals "spoke" to me.  You could look at them and see what occurred, or what you could change in the function to affect the waveform to get what performance you wanted.  The problem with analog was the path length.  Too much loss in the real world.  It limited the response due to distributed products.

In my optical fiber communications world, I could go thousands of miles, with little loss in signal strength or quality.  Optical connectors were astronomically priced, since you couldn't rely on all the maintenance people being capable of splicing single mode fiber.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Seriously, I liked analog because when everything turned to crap, you could look at the distorted signal and see in it's composition where in the signal path the problem occurred.

MY son is a Digital Engineer and when he has troubles he has to look at each and every function, from the beginning to the end to find the fault.

I always felt that analog signals "spoke" to me.  You could look at them and see what occurred, or what you could change in the function to affect the waveform to get what performance you wanted.  The problem with analog was the path length.  Too much loss in the real world.  It limited the response due to distributed products.

In my optical fiber communications world, I could go thousands of miles, with little loss in signal strength or quality.  Optical connectors were astronomically priced, since you couldn't rely on all the maintenance people being capable of splicing single mode fiber.

Delayed trigger on the Scope was my friend in the analog world.  Not many here probably know.  Rise time, Fall time, Notch distortion, TIM distortion more..  The good analog stuff to look at..Dave..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 12:31 PM, janice6 said:

I always felt that analog signals "spoke" to me.  You could look at them and see what occurred, or what you could change in the function to affect the waveform to get what performance you wanted. 

Sorrry my Blue Furry Friend, but that is "valve leakage" getting into your fillings.  

At separate times, my mom had blue steel yorkies.  Both were good dogs, and I was their best buddy, when I came to visit.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Sorrry my Blue Furry Friend, but that is "valve leakage" getting into your fillings.  

At separate times, my mom had blue steel yorkies.  Both were good dogs, and I was their best buddy, when I came to visit.  

We have had three dogs throughout our marriage.  A Miniature Poodle, and two Yorkies.  I love them all to death.  The Poodle lived to 14 years old.  The first Yorkie to 18 years old.  The Yorkie I have now is 19 years old.  When they live with you as long or even longer than your children, you tend to see them as real members of the family with all the consideration given to people.

I can't imagine how someone could live without a companion that you can tell anything to and they never judge.  My wife is pretty considerate, but my Yorkie is the epitome of discretion.

• Like 5