The toilet industry is screwing me.

I built my house in 1986. The fixtures in both bathrooms are almond color. I think they call it bone now days. Anyway, I want new toilets. Well they are mostly manufactured in white. If you want anything besides white, it costs a whole bunch more. Unless you buy one of the really cheap toilets. Bastards.

12 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Around here most of the toilets are the handicapped height as well (the taller ones).  I hate those.  I much prefer a normal-height toilet.

I have a bathroom with a 5-gallon unit in blue.  That will be the last thing replaced in that bathroom.

You must be a shorty. 5’9” me likes the high-rise toilets. 

• Like 4

I’m in the same situation in my kitchen. I’m not a fan of black or stainless appliances. Everything is off white (whatever they’re calling it these days) when something  goes, I’m not sure what I’ll do. 

Edited by Zonny

A friend has a black toilet. It's strange poopin' there. Plus, when it's dark, and you're a little drunk, I always worry about falling into that dang thing. can't see it in low light!

I prefer low and long terlits. The one in my house right now is low and round. Not a fan of the hi-rise ones. Being a little longer in the torso than the legs, the low ones just fit better. Next house I build will probably have a low one for me and a hi-rise for the missus.

In white, of course.

Edited by tadbart
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

Around here most of the toilets are the handicapped height as well (the taller ones).  I hate those.  I much prefer a normal-height toilet.

I have a bathroom with a 5-gallon unit in blue.  That will be the last thing replaced in that bathroom.

A few years ago when we got a co-op for my parents (90 y.o. and 83 y.o.s) we renovated and replaced both toilets with the tall ones (didn't know they were referred as handicapped heights!).  I didn't want them sitting down for business and not be able to get up on their own!  I'm sure it's a fairly routine 9-1-1 assistance call and the first responders would take everything in stride but my parents would be embarrassed to heck!     

After visiting them often and staying overnight on a regular basis, I'm starting to like the tall ones!  

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

I built my house in 1986. The fixtures in both bathrooms are almond color. I think they call it bone now days. Anyway, I want new toilets. Well they are mostly manufactured in white. If you want anything besides white, it costs a whole bunch more. Unless you buy one of the really cheap toilets. Bastards.

My parents house (where we grew up) had bathtubs, sinks and toilets in matching colour.  One was baby blue.  Another was pink.  The third was a dark leafy-veggy green.  Tiles in the bathroom matched the equipment.    

14 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Recently helped a friend replace a toilet with a modern one. The old one was low and gray. Took several flushes when you dropped a deuce. The new one will eat anything, and do it with 1 gallon of water. But, now the gray sink and tub have to go.

Yeah, the low flows have got the flush down.  Amazon has a bunch of colored terlets for ~$300 which is a bit more but not too bad.  You want to put on heirs with you fancy colored terlet it is going to cost you a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

But, now the gray sink and tub have to go.

If your tub is steel and built in you might try what I did about 15 years ago.  I found an outfit that recolors old tubs.  The guy used some sort of chemical etching first before putting the new finish on.  It wasn't cheap but was a lot easier that trying to get the old tub out and replaced.