Extinct Airlines

Eric

• Administrators

What are airlines that have gone the way of the Dodo Birds? It could be an airline that sim-ly ceased operations, or one that was absorbed in a merger and its name lost. Post pics and such if you can find them. 

Chalk's was also an icon, well known from Miami Vice.

They had an autographed photo from Michael Philip Thomas in their office down at the MacArthur causeway. One of their planes went upside down in a hurricane. I should still have some photos somewhere.

MallardN2969Chalks.jpg

Edit: Found the photos:

Img_1782.jpg

Img_1992.jpg

Img_1993.jpg

Edited by crockett
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, crockett said:

I always liked PanAm.

741PA-jfk-680x365_c.jpg

PAN AMERICAN is gone in name but lives on in Korean Air.  They have copied PAN AM right down to the stewardesses who all manage to look alike and do a great job..  Food is great, service is phenomenal and seats are large.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Citra47 said:

PAN AMERICAN is gone in name but lives on in Korean Air.  They have copied PAN AM right down to the stewardesses who all manage to look alike and do a great job..  Food is great, service is phenomenal and seats are large.

Soon it will also live on, on my wrist. The GMT Pepsi was Rolex's answer to PanAms request for a pilots watch.

8CB2152.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, crockett said:

Chalk's was also an icon, well known from Miami Vice.

They had an autographed photo from Michael Philip Thomas in their office down at the MacArthur causeway. One of their planes went upside down in a hurricane. I should still have some photos somewhere.

MallardN2969Chalks.jpg

Edit: Found the photos:

Img_1782.jpg

Img_1992.jpg

Img_1993.jpg

The turbo Mallard is a sexy beast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, G26S239 said:

Flying Tigers. They were contracted to fly US personnel from Philadelphia to Europe for a while. I just read they went defunct circa 1989. 

I flew Flying Tigers from Clark AFB, Philippines to San Francisco in 1986.  We didn't fly over the Pacific, we flew around it, with stops in Japan and Alaska.

• Like 1

I joined the Navy  Reserve in 1956, and the Navy had to send me to San Diego to start a course a couple of days after school was out.  I couldn't get there any other way on time, so the Navy sent me on a Western Airlines Champagne flight from MPLS to LA.  I had to travel in uniform and was seated in the back near the galley.  The Champagne was free flowing as soon as we left the ground, and every time a hostess passed me in or out of the galley they would fill my glass again. They were cheerful as hell and I was young and naïve.   I was so buzzed by the time I got there, I was glad for a layover of a few hours to let me sober up for the flight to San Diego.

I told the stews that I was underage but they said as soon as the wheels left the ground I was old enough!   During the flight, one asked me how I liked Champagne and I told her it tasted like Lacquer Thinner, but I'd like some more! I got into LA at night and the sky was Green from the pollution.  I finally got on a puddle jumper to San Diego and it rattled and shook like it was falling apart.  I again was seated in the back, and the stewardess (A sweet young thing) sat next to me for the takeoff.  There was so much noise and shaking that I jokingly asked the stewardess if we would make it.  She wasn't laughing and gripping the armrest pretty tight when she told me she didn't know if we would, it was her first flight.

I had a great time for my first airline experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

USAir, was one of the largest employers in Pittsburgh and the airport was built as a hub for them. Then things went south and they pulled up stakes and moved the hub to Charlotte. Then they were acquired by American. Described in wikipedia as "an emblem of mismanagement."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RenoF250 said:

image.png.e645ab406c3aa273f8b3cabf56ede55b.png

The first time I saw a 747 I was driving into work and one passed very low over my head in the last stage of the approach to the Mpls Airport.  I was aghast!  I couldn't figure out how that monstrosity stayed in the air moving that slow.  Perception  is misleading.