Jump to content
dudel

Raspberry Pi anyone?

Recommended Posts

Anyone playing with Pi?   I recently got my ham license, and have worked my way up to Extra.  Not many internet linked repeaters in my area, so I built a personal hot spot using a Zumspot and a Pi zero W (running pi-star).   Now I can use my handheld (Yaesu FT2D - digital) to speak to other hams around the world (had a contact with Australia) using only .1W on the HT.

That hot spot got me interested in the Pi.  I've been playing around with another Pi Zero and a Pi 3b.   Sort of amazing running a desktop off of a 7" screen with a full browser and development environment.  I'm thinking one of these running headless (no monitor) and connected to a TV HDMI port would make a smart TV much smarter.   Being able to use a real keyboard and having more power would beat trying to type on a TV remote.  The Pi Zeros are about $5; while the Pi 3b are about $30.

I looking at an ASUS Tinker board to run some digital ham applications (FT8).

I'd been looking at these for a while; and retirement gave me the time to go out and play with them.  Anyone here using them?  What projects have you done or considered?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I would consider it would be to create my own hotspot for DMR.  We've got tons of IRLP/EchoLink repeaters, not to mention statewide UHF coverage.  I've not felt the need to go digital or branch out to internet connections as it almost feels like cheating.  I like simplex radio contacts as lack of infrastructure was what originally got me into amateur radio.  The computers are cool however, I just haven't found a practical application that it would fill. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I ever get into HAM it will be analog only. I'm actyally pretty tired of most internet related stuff, its just too much, and every day. I miss those times when you rented a VHS cassette and watching a horror move at night after a long time in the outdoors.

I play with the Arduino platform at times. https://www.arduino.cc/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 9/20/2018 at 10:11 AM, dudel said:

Anyone playing with Pi?   I recently got my ham license, and have worked my way up to Extra. 

I have a home made node attached to a 144 mhz radio that is part of a county wide mesh network a couple of us built.   I should send you a pic.  Uses a TNC and a Singnelink box.  Even has a small batter for if the power goes off.

There is another Pi that is part of the home security system.  That was a fun project. 

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Historian said:

I have a home made node attached to a 144 mhz radio that is part of a county wide mesh network a couple of us built.   I should send you a pic.  Uses a TNC and a Singnelink box.  Even has a small batter for if the power goes off.

There is another Pi that is part of the home security system.  That was a fun project. 

That sounds way cool!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, dudel said:

That sounds way cool!

What can I say:  I geek out when I can.

This is a link to someone who's done the very same thing I have.  A boat load of resources in here too.

https://qsl.net/nf4rc/

and a book on this topic:

https://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Radio-Digital-Emergency-Communications-ebook/dp/B072N5H8TC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1538525262&sr=8-6&keywords=ham+radio+ares

I know the author.

I was toying with the idea of fitting a GPS disciplined oscillator  to one just to see if I can make it keep time.

Time keeping can be important.

Also toying with using one for GOES weather sat. data downlink.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2018 at 5:52 PM, Historian said:

What can I say:  I geek out when I can.

This is a link to someone who's done the very same thing I have.  A boat load of resources in here too.

https://qsl.net/nf4rc/

and a book on this topic:

https://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Radio-Digital-Emergency-Communications-ebook/dp/B072N5H8TC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1538525262&sr=8-6&keywords=ham+radio+ares

I know the author.

I was toying with the idea of fitting a GPS disciplined oscillator  to one just to see if I can make it keep time.

Time keeping can be important.

Also toying with using one for GOES weather sat. data downlink.

Thanks.  Great info.  Ordered the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2018 at 5:52 PM, Historian said:

What can I say:  I geek out when I can.

This is a link to someone who's done the very same thing I have.  A boat load of resources in here too.

https://qsl.net/nf4rc/

and a book on this topic:

https://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Radio-Digital-Emergency-Communications-ebook/dp/B072N5H8TC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1538525262&sr=8-6&keywords=ham+radio+ares

I know the author.

I was toying with the idea of fitting a GPS disciplined oscillator  to one just to see if I can make it keep time.

Time keeping can be important.

Also toying with using one for GOES weather sat. data downlink.

I got the book yesterday.  A very good read.  Gave me lots of ideas.  If you see the author(s), please thank them for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×