I Don't Remember The Last Time...

Eric

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

I have played the wife's old Edison Crank-up record player with "Lucky Lindy" more often than a modern record player.  ( She had two "Apple Crates" full of the old 3/8" thick records)

A puppy recently chewed the leg off the old Victrola cabinet. It looks kind of odd standing on a 6x6 peg leg.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I used a full keyboard adding machine.

In H.S. I took a business class, and we used these.

I worked for an insurance company for many years.  When they were transitioning to computers, they sold all of their office equipment. 

I wish I had purchased a full keyboard machine.  They are just cool. 

full keyboard.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

I don’t remember the last time I pulled into a service station and ran over the air hose that rang the bell inside the shop. I remember pulling into a station once on a flat, when I was a teenager. Actually, it had been a flat twenty miles or so previously. At that point, I was riding on what was left of a severely damaged steel wheel.

When I pulled into the station, my wheel severed the air hose across the parking lot, leaving thirty feet or so to whip about like a mad bastard. I was very surprised that the whipping house didn’t break something or someone, as it whipped about. The station owner couldn’t help me with a spare wheel and tire, but he was very understanding about the severed hose. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Eric said:

I don’t remember the last time I pulled into a service station and ran over the air hose that rang the bell inside the shop. I remember pulling into a station once on a flat, when I was a teenager. Actually, it had been a flat twenty miles or so previously. At that point, I was riding on what was left of a severely damaged steel wheel.

When I pulled into the station, my wheel severed the air hose across the parking lot, leaving thirty feet or so to whip about like a mad bastard. I was very surprised that the whipping house didn’t break something or someone, as it whipped about. The station owner couldn’t help me with a spare wheel and tire, but he was very understanding about the severed hose. 

The turds we were, we used to spin the rear tires on the hose to screw it up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TBO said:

I don't remember the last time I used a cistern. 

The house we bought in 1946 had one in the basement that was fed from the built in gutters around the house.  No one ever had any use for it, and all we did was through small rocks in it to hear the splash.  I never knew how it was accessed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, limeylad said:

I don't remember the last time I sent a fax

played an LP

watched an 8mm movie

We send and receive faxes all the time.  Usually various medical records.  I sent one into the hotline last October.  Usually I’m just the guy who picks up the faxes and gets them to the case workers.  A couple months back I ran to the hospital and got to deal with the jackhole at the records desk who almost refused to provide records even though I was standing there showing her the court order.  Finally she agreed to fax the records to the office. I had a freakin court order and she was reluctant to provide the records. I wish the judge had walked by just then.

• Like 2

Last time I used a "real" outhouse was 1995 - small (I mean two cow and three dog town) on a little island in Chile.

Last time I used a rotary phone was 2000 - our deck phone was a rotary and we used to use it all the time during the summer.

The last time I used a reel-to-reel was 1992 (I think I still have it someplace in the garage). 

The last time I took ammo to school was 1988 (left over from a weekend shooting trip that got left in my jacket pocket).

13 hours ago, Eric said:

I don't remember the last time I saw a set of red velvet curtains drawn over the screen at a movie theater.

The first time I ever watched a movie at an indoor theater, I was six years old, going on seven. We had always gone to the drive-ins. I had never seen an indoor theater. One day, our mother loaded us up in the middle of the day. She said we were going to the movies. I was suspicious from the start. How were going to watch a movie at the drive-in in the daylight? When we got to the theater, I was sure she was screwing us and I was mad. I thought she had brought us to see a play or something.

When we got into the theater and I saw the red velvet curtains drawn across the front wall, I was sure she had suckered us. There was even the end of a wooden stage sticking out under the curtain. I sat there stewing for twenty minutes, until the lights were dimmed and the curtains parted. voila, a screen! :greensupergrin: And all was right with the world once again. I still remember the movie we saw: Murder By Death. It was pretty funny, even to a six-year-old.

I can't remember the last time I saw 'Murder By Death', but remember it was a good movie.  Have to find it now..

-Pat

11 hours ago, janice6 said:

I have played the wife's old Edison Crank-up record player with "Lucky Lindy" more often than a modern record player.  ( She had two "Apple Crates" full of the old 3/8" thick records)

Diamond disks?  Cool!  We have players at the museum I volunteer at.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_Disc_Record

The early recording 'format wars' were interesting. 

-Pat

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rabbi said:

When I was a kid, this was a really big deal.  There was even a ritual.  You waved and he waved back.  

I do not remember the last time I saw a caboose on an in service train. 

ATSF_DK_Caboose.jpg

‘Still use them on some locals that have to run both ways

• Thanks 1

I was sorting through my old vinyl record collection (looking for my Big Bambu album) and I realized how heavy and cumbersome they were.  At the same time, the spine is so thin that it is difficult to read the album title which requires that they be handled (fragile as they are).

So, I can't remember the last time I sorted through my old vinyl record collection.

Edited by minervadoe

16 hours ago, norton said:

I used a full keyboard adding machine.

In H.S. I took a business class, and we used these.

I worked for an insurance company for many years.  When they were transitioning to computers, they sold all of their office equipment. 

I wish I had purchased a full keyboard machine.  They are just cool. 

full keyboard.jpg

Lusting. 

• Haha 2

When I first started working at the company I retired from, the most amazing machine in the lab was a Marchant Figure Matic mechanical calculator.  It was amazing because it could perform square roots (If you had the time).  We spent many hours over a time using it.

I don't remember the last time I used a Mechanical Calculator