I Don't Remember The Last Time...

Eric

Changed the coolant in a car. 

Used to be I did it in the fall or the spring. Buy the new coolant, mix it, flush the system of the old coolant. It was something I enjoyed. The last 4 or 5 cars I've owned have had 100,000 mile FoMoCo coolant in them, and I've traded them in pretty often on new Ford cars.

Really, there's not much to maintaining cars anymore. An oil change here, air-filter there, some wiper blades, maybe a cabin air-filter sometimes. And that's it. Even plugs go 60K miles without needing to be changed. 

Hell, I've stopped changing my oil myself. I just buy the oil & filter (I'm very picky) and have it done for $30. The mess and hassle just isn't worth it. I had my tires replaced last week, and the damn car didn't need an alignment, it was perfect.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I forget how long ago I used engineering or component "reference texts".  Everything is on the Internet these days.

With the availability of Math Programs, I haven't heard anyone talk about using Logarithms for many years.

I remember not to long before retiring the company said dispose of all the tech manuals since we're going electronic and not updating the manuals.  We kept our just in case and it wasn't long before the phones started ringing from people that disposed of their manuals.  Seems the electronic version didn't reference any of the older equipment we would get for calibration.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I don't remember the last time I fished a matchbook out of my pocket to set the gap on a set of points.

Hell, I don't remember the last time I saw a company handing out free books of matches? remember when restaurants used to have fishbowls you could drop your company's matchbook into, for a weekly drawing for a free meal, or something?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

I don't remember the last time I fished a matchbook out of my pocket to set the gap on a set of points.

Hell, I don't remember the last time I saw a company handing out free books of matches? remember when restaurants used to have fishbowls you could drop your company's matchbook into, for a weekly drawing for a free meal, or something?

I think the matchbooks went away with the 8 track tape players. They were required.

Edited by Dric902
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
Just now, pipedreams said:

Yes, makes me think of typing reports on a TTY machine with paper tape and sending reports to Bell Labs.

And THAT makes me think of a time when half the crap that came in the mail, including checks, appointment notifications and bills, where punch cards. "Don't Fold, Spindle or Mutilate". If I ever spindled anything, I didn't mean to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

Or the last time I re-filled or put a new flint in a Zippo lighter.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, tous said:

Or the last time I re-filled or put a new flint in a Zippo lighter.

I used to really hate it when I put too much fluid in my Zippo. It would leak out onto my thigh and I wouldn't be aware it was happening till it started burning the skin. Other than that, I loved my Zippo. I bought it in the PX, when I was in Basic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dric902 said:

When was the last time you saw a car with an ashtray

crank window vents

crank windows for that matter

two ply or four ply tires

an exhaust/muffler shop

i worked at a Murphy Mart auto center in high school. Most of our income was oil changes, tires, exhaust pipes and muffler work, brake jobs (disc and drum) and tune ups with plug wires, points, and spark plugs.

My 94 F250 has an ashtray, crank windows and manual locks and wing windows. The bed is full of moose blood and hair.

• Like 4

• Administrators

I don't remember the last time I saw a set of red velvet curtains drawn over the screen at a movie theater.

The first time I ever watched a movie at an indoor theater, I was six years old, going on seven. We had always gone to the drive-ins. I had never seen an indoor theater. One day, our mother loaded us up in the middle of the day. She said we were going to the movies. I was suspicious from the start. How were going to watch a movie at the drive-in in the daylight? When we got to the theater, I was sure she was screwing us and I was mad. I thought she had brought us to see a play or something.

When we got into the theater and I saw the red velvet curtains drawn across the front wall, I was sure she had suckered us. There was even the end of a wooden stage sticking out under the curtain. I sat there stewing for twenty minutes, until the lights were dimmed and the curtains parted. voila, a screen! :greensupergrin: And all was right with the world once again. I still remember the movie we saw: Murder By Death. It was pretty funny, even to a six-year-old.

• Like 2

The last time you saw ashtrays on the seat rests on an airliner?

Condom vending machines in the service station rest room?

Hearing a ding as you drove over the rubber hose at the service station?

Edited by tous
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I used to go to a bar in Grants, NM, called The Roaring Twenties. The building & sign where still there, last time I drove through, but it is standing derelict. There was a hot little waitress that when asked for cigarettes, would go to the machine, buy them, pack them, open the pack, extract one enough for you to pull it out and then she would light it for you. Something about that always turned me on. I spent a lot of Monday nights there watching football, back when the NFL still gave a **** about America and those who serve her.

The owner used to order a bunch of pizzas free of charge, at halftime. He always ordered nothing but pepperoni and jalapeno. It was smart on his part, because it filled seats and it made people buy more beer. I really love pepperoni and jalapeno pizza, so I liked the arrangement just fine.

• Like 3