I Don't Remember The Last Time...

Eric

2 hours ago, billkill said:

We still have a couple of those little drive up kiosks where I live.

One is a hamburger place called Central Park, and the other is a BBQ place called Rollin' Smoke.

I had a buddy that ran a drive up auto-insurance company out of one and he made a killing doing it.

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

I found rare occasions where braces and old tapered reamers (2" to 3" dia.) greatly speeded up work.  My son finally broke down and bought a Brace also.  I buy old tools from thrift shops or ebay and recondition them for my use.  Hand planes, chisels, molding cutters, many great old tools that will finesse a piece of good wood work.

In wood work I find that the oldest hand tools make the job so much easier than many modern power tools.

The most useful tool I found for woodworking is the "card cabinet scraper". 

440px-Card_scraper.JPGhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_scraper

Once you learn how to sharpen them they work wonders.  They are what was used before the recent invention of sand paper.  They actually cut the wood surface and produce shavings, not dust.  No breathing dust and damn near eliminate allergy problems.

They truly cut the wood surface and don't clog the pores and grain up with wood dust.  They are remarkable fast and leave a glass smooth finish in no time at all.

They used to be made from pieces of worn out hand saws.

7 hours ago, tous said:

I am also a huge fan of scrapers.  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

Card scrapers are the balls!  Fantastic for doing precise work, and getting a nice finish.  One of the best things I've learned to use.

-Pat

6 hours ago, billkill said:

I can't remember the last time I rewound a VHS tape or took a roll of film to be developed.

We keep a combo tv at our office.  It has DVD and VHS.  We get cheap children's movies on VHS for when we have to have kids there waiting on parents or just taken into care.  The reason for VHS is parents won't usually steal them.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tous said:

I prefer the old, hand tools because I can feel the work, how is it cutting, are there odd spots in the stock, is this the right tool for the job?

You can't feel the work with a power tool.

I agree with you on planes.  What you can get at Home Depot is just awful.

I have several box planes my uncles owned that they inherited from their fathers and used and three generations haven't worn them out.

The same with files.

I always urge: buy a good tool and it will last a life time.  Buy a cheap tool and you will buy them over again and again for a lifetime.

As an expensive point of curiosity, I bought a $200 wood plane and compared it to the equivalent antique Bailey cast iron plane.  They were equal in ease of use, finish, and quality of cut.  I bought the Bailey 80 year old plane for $12 and spent 20 minutes re-furbishing it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tous said:

Rabbi should serve A & W  root beer on Wednesdays.

Great stuff.

If there's any left over, we can make root beer floats with the Friday ice cream.

Yeah, but with his track record, he'd serve it on the patio, on the other side of the lawn from us, and yell at us to get off the lawn again.

• Haha 1