.450 Bushmaster - Never heard of it...

PNWguy

Such was the reply when I asked my only local source for firearms/ammo if they had any ammo in stock. 

Besides WalMart,  the only source for ammo/guns is in the nearest town 15 miles away in Idaho.  Tri-State Outfitters.  Went there during lunch hoping to score a box of the Hornady loads for testing my new upper this weekend.  I've already ordered some casings and have plenty of bullets on hand, but was hoping for some factory loads for testing.

Guy behind the counter said he's never heard of it and even after explaining the characteristics and benefits of the round, ballistic information, bullets sizes and applications, etc, he still called it a .454 Bushmaster.  I corrected him three times and he still referred to it incorrectly. "sigh"...

My next hopeful source is the nearest Sportsman's Warehouse which is 50 miles away.  Only ammo they show is the Winchester Deer Season XP at $33 a box of 20.  I can find the excellent Hornady ammo online for $25 a box with around a $10 shipping fee.  So I can spend $22 in gas plus the $35 for the shells to buy local, or I can have it shipped to my home for $35 total.

And people wonder why local shops are dying out...

I can understand why the cartridge isn't popular here; we don't have hogs and our hunting cartridges are not limited to straight-walled cases like they are in many Midwestern states.

As an aside, when I explained the popularity in Midwestern states for deer due to straight-walled cartridge restrictions, the same guy stated, "you mean like Utah and Arizona??"

See the source image

I think the idea of having 10 rounds of .450 Bushmaster in a semi-auto carbine will make for a heck of a camp gun.

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

I can understand why the cartridge isn't popular here; we don't have hogs and our hunting cartridges are not limited to straight-walled cases like they are in many Midwestern states.

As an aside, when I explained the popularity in Midwestern states for deer due to straight-walled cartridge restrictions, the same guy stated, "you mean like Utah and Arizona??"

See the source image

I think the idea of having 10 rounds of .450 Bushmaster in a semi-auto carbine will make for a heck of a camp gun.

The way to explain it is by posing the question, what if you could have a 45-70 Marlin lever action that weighed less and was semi-auto?

That's why I like the 450 SOCOM because it's closer to the 45-70 ballistically and uses the same .458 bullets instead of .451. But it isn't as popular in the Midwest (meaning Ohio, Indiana, Michigan) and is apparently equally unpopular in the pacific northwest.

That's sadly amusing... down here in Texas the round is well known and most shops will have at least a few boxes of ammo.

I like the pistol bullet/straight wall aspects of the cartridge and they are why I chose it over the 458 Socom (not sure what the 450 SOCOM mentioned above is :D (sorry Borg))

I have a 16" upper being trimmed to 12" (should be ready by Monday), as I've come to prefer shorter barrels on my ARs. Windham sells a 9" gun, but that's a bit too short for me with this cartridge. Good luck on your quest for factory loads. 

• Like 1

Got in a couple of followers to convert USGI 30-round mags into 10-round .450 Bushmaster mags.  Found them on the interwebz from a place called Chamber Tactical...

http://www.chambertactical.com/product/ar-15-big-bore-follower/

Trying to figure out the most reliable way to feed my new rifle and the suggestions and theories are all over the place.  From using mags with black followers, Sig Sauer AR mags, $50 factory mags, to changing out the followers in USGI mags.

I had a few USGI 30-round mags from my Army days in the 90's with black followers, so I figured I'd convert a couple with dedicated .450 Bushmaster/.458 SOCOM custom followers to see how they do...

5KWwkrXT7js1UDyUti-7fcl65wyOVSxdWbuRUsWKdMEpX92IB.jpg.21ae16a2e47749276dd8f5f13b5ac676.jpg

Got my upper in this morning and promptly mated it to my Ruger SR556.  Fit together beautifully and is perfectly tight.  Had an extra Magpul FDE forend sitting on the shelf so installed it.

Grabbed an extra 3x9 tac scope I had and installed it as well.  It is a pig, but the total rifle weight so far is 7.8lbs.  I figure with the scope replaced with a smaller and lighter reflex, a sling, and my Streamlight, I should be at the 8lb mark.  

It shoulders and handles very, very nicely.

Driving 50 miles tomorrow to try and find some ammo.  I was going to order some online, but I leave for Japan next week for three weeks and didn't want it sitting on my doorstep.

loKMBGAksHEEECciI91pZJ1REdjP0zD9aUiHsBjpYnwpX92IB.jpg.6372772944443e71ed08fc0bbf7e2c75.jpg

wOTC71WHrym9b_6DxNBZsAp3O3nPdGSwnrzn4fPKJAEpX92IB.jpg.dc24d4481d6d0c9a01df0690bba74fcc.jpg

A31uDhFVNrMGDilvqpBnyxyjNkGZtXPRwmLbWhbXcpMpX92IB.jpg.56ef19bf9161729edfe2a68ffcf51466.jpg

eG68akxdn8NGvTw4y-j0KpbC5oNkGLYwOj-SjgaDgBMpX92IB.jpg.7764fd656098b2a1f74323350acaa9de.jpg

Looks great!

I should be able to pick up my upper from the machinist on Monday. 

I went with replacement followers in some 20 round Brownells mags, they hold 5 easily which, honestly, is plenty for my uses with this "rifle".

I have a couple more followers, so may drop one in a 30 round mag as well. 

Took it out to the cabin today and it was actually raining; hasn't rained for months.

Plus, I only had one box of Hornady Black ammo for it since the Lee die set I bought had a seriously undersized sizing die so I couldn't load up some shells.

So, I just took it to the pistol range we have set up and function tested it and made sure the magazines worked and zeroed in the scope.  Only 25yds so pretty worthless as far as accuracy testing.  But my dad did shoot a 3-shot group in which you could barely tell more than one bullet went through.  He was very impressed.

Used a Nikon P223 scope for testing and it worked out very well and was a little lighter than the 3x9 I originally had on it...

IMG_20180922_114617361.jpg.99e834dbf28032ae2936c80c2f383dd2.jpg

The good news is that it performed flawlessly and the magazines worked perfectly.  Recoil is definitely noticeable over a regular AR and a bit more than my current woods gun in .45 Colt.

Will get some loads worked up for it and return to get it sighted in for 100yds and see what it will do.  So far, very, very happy with how it feels and shoots.

Another thing that was nice was that the ejection was extremely consistent; never seen a semi-auto eject shells in such a tight pattern, before...

IMG_20180922_114626810.jpg.539f741adb78091c63fe00827425450c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Should be picking up a new lower from the FFL tomorrow.  Went with a black M-Lok forend, Nikon P223 3x scope, Surefire composite light, and had a really robust tacticool sling sitting around.

Currently at 8.5lbs which is still around 3lbs lighter than my Marlin.  Could shave off some more weight by going to a small reflex sight...

The new lower is a PSA with Magpul FDE furniture.  Once everything is fitted and confirmed good to go at the range, then I'll give it one of my signature camo jobs.

Looks good in black, though...

e68DZDQRUCYtPoDCU2BeDdma8okwy-fbwYK8pET7WO0pX92IB.jpg.e4a5f975c34b24b32689e0ddfcecb3a9.jpg

• Like 1

Just loaded up some rounds to try out when I get time.  Starline cases, 225gr Hornady FTX bullets with 40gr of Lil' Gun.  Should be good for around 2300fps.  

If in the unlikely event I ever have to shoot a predator in self-defense, then it will be either a cougar or a wolf.  Every black bear I've come across in the woods has been headed the other direction, post-haste.

I actually had a wolf come to my camp site earlier this year and observe me and my 100lb lab mix.  That was unnerving...

The 225gr FTX should be OK.  Will have to try and score some 250gr or 300gr FTX online somewhere.  Found some on Natchez, but their shipping/handling charges made the bullets as expensive as the loaded Hornady cartridges I found locally.

XRxWHWdAWKNb-jODvbnWkmCotcFBjzAKEVesSJSjeM8pX92IB.jpg.086dea216898e0c0b436b8dc28e7ee48.jpg

Took a picture of the rounds used in my four woods carry guns; .450 Bushmaster, .45 Colt, and 10mm....

7u3HM00xpBULfmepcusEsPdLgQChYVqhWP1n8Olp6-4pX92IB.jpg.73feab4fe3fdf54721a21a03aa96ea2f.jpg

• Like 1