• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pipedreams

• ChuteTheMall

• Swampfox762

• Schmidt Meister

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

image.png.a3599879a6257e38fa62e007cc1adf84.png

It's now funny that my "slogan" for Soviet-era grocery markets was, cynically, "The Universe at your fingertips". Can't remember now the word, nor the name of the wonderful Russian cologne I used or of the really nifty, elegant cigarettes (packs) that I smoked. But those cigarettes, incredibly smooth---darn if they left an incredible stench in your breath. However, my friends would kill among themselves for the cigarette case. Dunhill-like case, one in gold with black letters and the other red with black letters.

Also, kudos for the colorful packaging of the items in The Universe. Kindly insert sarcasm emoji here.

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

It's now funny that my "slogan" for Soviet-era grocery markets was, cynically, "The Universe at your fingertips". Can't remember now the word, nor the name of the wonderful Russian cologne I used or of the really nifty, elegant cigarettes (packs) that I smoked. But those cigarettes, incredibly smooth---darn if they left an incredible stench in your breath. However, my friends would kill among themselves for the cigarette case. Dunhill-like case, one in gold with black letters and the other red with black letters.

Also, kudos for the colorful packaging of the items in The Universe. Kindly insert sarcasm emoji here.

When I got to Beirut I was  Still a smoker and I had heard of the very expensive "luxury" Egyptian cigarettes, so I headed to the fanciest hotel in town and asked for the highest priced cigarettes they had.  I forget what they cost, but it was considerable.

They had Gold Leaf tips and all!  I lit one up and it tasted and smelled like a grass fire.  God, it was the worst tasting cigarette I had ever smoked, by far.

I wound up throwing the pack away.  It was then that I realized why I could damn near buy Europe for a few cartons of American Cigarettes.  Hell, you could have a companion and lodgings for the weekend for just one carton of American Cigarettes.  The Europeans like a filter tip even more.

I paid 90 cents a carton for Pall Mall on the ship.  When we left the Continental limits of the USA the price was 10 cents a pack, versus 25 cents or more from the stateside stores. 

• Haha 1

Thought of this.

During Uncle Leonid's time, a direct glance at a banana, held for a period of time longer than 15 seconds would constitute irrebuttable proof  of the intention of that individual to eat it. 30 years in the gulag. Minimum. Accompanied by drooling at the mouth, 40 years.

Watching Judge Napolitano with Bill Hemmer right now on Fox News

and it occurs to me that he was suspended from Fox News for his less than fawning praise of Trump on the Ukraine call.

but I heard it on the Internet forums, so it must be true

Edited by Dric902