Random Political/Social Posting

Eric

1 minute ago, Schmidt Meister said:

But in that line of thought, a tank full of gas will last hours longer than the average battery charge will AND, freezing temperatures lower the battery charge by as much as 25% according to the battery manufacturers. I would much rather be in the gasoline powered vehicle anyway because If I could find someone with a can of gas (or siphon hose) after I run out, I could just refill my car and drive off. I would have to have the EV towed to a recharging station or have a generator brought to my EV. All in all, the gasoline powered vehicle will always be the choice for me, freezing or baking Florida sunshine.

I prefer diesel myself, but it can have more issues in winter than gasoline due to gelling if it isn't properly refined/treated for extremely cold temperatures.

either way, internal combustion wins.

• Like 2

• Replies 112.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pipedreams

• ChuteTheMall

• Swampfox762

• Schmidt Meister

2 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

I prefer diesel myself, but it can have more issues in winter than gasoline due to gelling if it isn't properly refined/treated for extremely cold temperatures.

THEY are going to stuff this ELECTRIC **** DOWN OUR THROATS. LIKE IT OR NOT

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Diesel/gasoline are about the same as far as this discussion is concerned. Diesel has it's advantages in some situations, but the government has done everything it can to eliminate my desire for a diesel burner by taxing the **** out of diesel. I bought a diesel vehicle just before they decided to start jacking the price. Luckily I was able to trade it without losing (much) equity. But I haven't ever owned a diesel vehicle in an area of the country where cold weather would be a concern but I've heard horror stories.

7 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Diesel/gasoline are about the same as far as this discussion is concerned. Diesel has it's advantages in some situations, but the government has done everything it can to eliminate my desire for a diesel burner by taxing the **** out of diesel. I bought a diesel vehicle just before they decided to start jacking the price. Luckily I was able to trade it without losing (much) equity. But I haven't ever owned a diesel vehicle in an area of the country where cold weather would be a concern but I've heard horror stories.

Around here diesel is usually either the same price or cheaper than gasoline is.  

As for horror stories, I've heard in places where a major disaster strikes, like hurricane or similar, that fuel stations will be sold out of gasoline with no idea when they will get in another tanker, but almost always still have diesel available.  Very few people have diesel generators, but everyone buys cheap gasoline noisemakers for storms.

7 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Around here diesel is usually either the same price or cheaper than gasoline is.  

As for horror stories, I've heard in places where a major disaster strikes, like hurricane or similar, that fuel stations will be sold out of gasoline with no idea when they will get in another tanker, but almost always still have diesel available.  Very few people have diesel generators, but everyone buys cheap gasoline noisemakers for storms.

Around here, diesel is usually 10 to 20 cents more per gallon. As far as horror stories, I was talking more about people forgetting to winterize their fuel tanks, northern states mostly, and having to deal with jelled fuel. 

You are right about the diesel availability, even around here where there are a lot of diesel vehicles and a huge number of log trucks, diesel is almost always available even when gasoline is harder to find. Where I live, I can only remember one time when gasoline was seriously hard to find and that was when Debby hit. 2012, I think. 

I have both diesel and LP whole house generators. I just got the LP one this year. It's hard to hear it running when the tv is on.

• Like 1