Bourbon

Gun Shark

On 11/23/2017 at 9:02 PM, stevekozak said:

At that price, I am not losing anything to give it a try if I see it somewhere. After reading the review, I suspect it will be too sweet for my tastes, but if so, I will use it as a mix bourbon. 

Steve, did you get a chance to try this one? I'm interested in a second opinion. Any thoughts?

I would like to try that sometime. I go to Lexington at least once per year. I need to visit a few places while out that way. 
Believe it or not, the Heaven Hill distillery was a surprise. I forget which line they used as samples but it was rather good. It was not Heaven Hill.

By the way, of all the distilleries I have been to, Maker's Mark is the only one that charges for a tour. $7 A person.

Sent from Paradise Hollow

Ark, my recommendation is to find a bourbon bar and try what the bartender recommends. Narrow it down to what you like and see if it's a wheat or a rye bourbon. I am more like tadbart and like the wheated bourbons  

This is what I currently have as the Huskerbuttons bourbon stash:

Willett Pot Still Reserve

Blanton's

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

1792 small batch

Jeffersons Reserve small batch

Old Weller Anitque Original 107 Brand

Four Roses Single Barrel

Blade and Bow 

Redemption

George Remus

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel 

Calumet Farm private selection

Angels Envy

If you like the sweeter wheat type, try anything from Buffalo Trace Distillers. Good quality bourbons for a good price. 

How is the Four Roses? If you see my motorcycle pic, it is at the Four Roses distillery. Sadly, we got there right after the last tour of the day. I cannot find it locally and Alabama does not allow liqueur shipments to residential addresses. I have never tried it.

2b7337ec10a69b49ee80bd3705fd5390.jpg

1 hour ago, Alabusa said:

How is the Four Roses? If you see my motorcycle pic, it is at the Four Roses distillery. Sadly, we got there right after the last tour of the day. I cannot find it locally and Alabama does not allow liqueur shipments to residential addresses. I have never tried it.

2b7337ec10a69b49ee80bd3705fd5390.jpg

Four Roses small batch or single barrel is pretty good. Too bad you didn't get to take the tour and have some samples. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alabusa said:

Believe it or not, the Heaven Hill distillery was a surprise. I forget which line they used as samples but it was rather good. It was not Heaven Hill.

By the way, of all the distilleries I have been to, Maker's Mark is the only one that charges for a tour. $7 A person.

Most of my daughter in laws family works at Heaven Hill. The others work at Beam and Makers. There was no short supply of bourbon at my son's wedding. 

• Like 5

This past Saturday we had our family Christmas gathering. I brought a fifth of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric, 23 yr aged bourbon. It's a small distillery out of TN. Man was it smooth with just a small taste of burn at the end. My son said it was as good as the Pappy 23 he has. But it's not nearly as expensive. 

• Like 1

Stopped at the new liquer store that is my route home. Thought I might find the Evan Williams white label to try. No luck. I did pick up a bottle of another cheap bourbon, based on some praise here, Rebel Yell. I don't get it. This tastes like someone took a decent bourbon and poured water into it. That is my best description. It just tastes watered down. No charecter. I don't honestly think it would even make a decent mixed drink. Maybe it is that I have not drank 80 proof bourbon in a good long while. I never had this reaction to Evan Williams black or Jim Beam.  I guess I will keep it around for emergencies (defined as running out of all other sources of alcohol in the house). Those of you that like it, what do you like about it? 

Stopped at the new liquer store that is my route home. Thought I might find the Evan Williams white label to try. No luck. I did pick up a bottle of another cheap bourbon, based on some praise here, Rebel Yell. I don't get it. This tastes like someone took a decent bourbon and poured water into it. That is my best description. It just tastes watered down. No charecter. I don't honestly think it would even make a decent mixed drink. Maybe it is that I have not drank 80 proof bourbon in a good long while. I never had this reaction to Evan Williams black or Jim Beam.  I guess I will keep it around for emergencies (defined as running out of all other sources of alcohol in the house). Those of you that like it, what do you like about it? 
I'm glad I never picked that one up. Thanks for the review.

I've been looking for some Henry McKenna 10 BIB but I can't find it around here. I've had it recommended to me several times.

On 12/24/2017 at 10:24 PM, O4L said:
On 12/24/2017 at 3:03 PM, stevekozak said:

Yeah. It is very light on the pallet. Kind of the Keystone Light of bourbon. It's one of the only whiskeys that my wife will drink. I think of it as the O'Doul's of whiskey. Light enough to DRI k all night without tasting it the next day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 7:18 PM, O4L said:
On 1/14/2018 at 3:40 PM, stevekozak said:
Taste? Impressions? 

I've only had one pour so far but is excellent for $23. It is the fifth Heaven Hill bourbon I have had and it's my favorite even edging out the Elijah Craig Small Batch.

Hmmm, I will have to stop by Total Wine.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On November 22, 2017 at 9:53 PM, O4L said:

After reading some reviews on under $20 bourbons, I decided to give Evan Williams white label Bottled-In-Bond a try tonight.

I think I could get used to this smooth 100 proof sipping bourbon.aec3d0d6dc4f56e4262ed59ea8c57657.jpg

Finally ran onto some of this at a LLS. Paid $14.89 for it. Can taste the bond proof. Less flavor than I had expected. Not bad for the price, but not WT 101 either. Regular EW is probably the better bang for buck. That said, I will keep the bottle around enjoy it for what it is. Thanks for giving me something new and cheap to try! 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, stevekozak said:

Fun to go back and re-read an old thread!

Regarding the Rebel Yell (my daily bourbon), I agree that it is a bit uh, light on flavor. As previously stated, I prefer the sweeter bourbons, opposite of @TBO and his spicy high-rye bourbons. It is definitely missing the heavy charred oak flavor compared to Maker's, but I get a more lightly-toasted white oak flavor from it.

A friend recently showed me his still, and surprisingly, gave me access to experiment with mashes. A high-wheat bourbon is pretty high on my list of things to try.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

New to the club, resurrecting the bourbon thread.

Big fan of most all bottled-in-bond, and the Evan Williams is a particularly good bargain, IMO.

Very much like Blanton's (discovered it watching Justified) but am disgusted by the scarcity, and how much the price has jumped over the years.  I keep an empty bottle on hand I fill with Old Crow, when ne'er-do-well relatives come over.

My favorite bourbon is the one in my hand. ?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.