Bourbon

Gun Shark

I've found I enjoy high rye bourbons, in general.

A great bang for the buck on is Bulleit Bourbon, and if you can pay the freight, the 10 yr is worth it.

I actually prefer Bulliet Rye, but that's another thread. tbo.gif

• Like 4

You guys do realize that bourbon is made from hog feed, right?  Barley is the proper grain to make liquor (or beer) with.  :whistling:

(I drink the stuff, too--too many good liquors out there to limit one's self to a single variety.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OGW said:

You guys do realize that bourbon is made from hog feed, right?  Barley is the proper grain to make liquor (or beer) with.  :whistling:

(I drink the stuff, too--too many good liquors out there to limit one's self to a single variety.)

Maybe that's why I like bacon and bourbon together. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Bourbon is my favorite liquor. Quite the opposite of TBO, I prefer low rye, high wheat bourbons. They're sweeter, less hot. Blanton's Maker's Mark, and Rebel Yell are examples of wheated bourbons. My go-to whiskey is good ol sour mash Jack Daniel's.

A couple weeks ago, I had a glass of Old Rip Van Winkle's 15 year. It was mighty fine, but I'd just as soon have Blanton's.

Cheers, Gentlemen!

• Like 4

Good thread. I've been a Scotch drinker for so long, I've neglected other liquors. But as stated in the Scotch thread; single-malt prices are getting stratospheric thanks to the hipsters of the world. 

Bourbon is a nice alternative. I've tried Makers Mark, Evan Williams and Bulleit so my exposure is limited. I'd like to explore this world a little more. 

Looking to this thread for some good recommendations (already seems to have some...).

• Like 1

Just now, Sniffler said:

Holy **** son! Is that ice in a friggen shot of bourbon? Are you in a gay bar? Are you in Austin? WTF??  :eek:

:greensupergrin:

It's special glacier ice. You haven't had whiskey, until you've had it with special glacier ice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sniffler said:

Holy **** son! Is that ice in a friggen shot of bourbon? Are you in a gay bar? Are you in Austin? WTF??  :eek:

:greensupergrin:

Hell no! No ice goes into my bourbon.

I'm not answering the question about the gay bar part. (But I'll buy you a round if you show me the high-sign when I see you.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, arkdweller22 said:

Good thread. I've been a Scotch drinker for so long, I've neglected other liquors. But as stated in the Scotch thread; single-malt prices are getting stratospheric thanks to the hipsters of the world. 

Bourbon is a nice alternative. I've tried Makers Mark, Evan Williams and Bulleit so my exposure is limited. I'd like to explore this world a little more. 

Looking to this thread for some good recommendations (already seems to have some...).

Ark, my recommendation is to find a bourbon bar and try what the bartender recommends. Narrow it down to what you like and see if it's a wheat or a rye bourbon. I am more like tadbart and like the wheated bourbons  

This is what I currently have as the Huskerbuttons bourbon stash:

Willett Pot Still Reserve

Blanton's

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

1792 small batch

Jeffersons Reserve small batch

Old Weller Anitque Original 107 Brand

Four Roses Single Barrel

Blade and Bow 

Redemption

George Remus

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel 

Calumet Farm private selection

Angels Envy

If you like the sweeter wheat type, try anything from Buffalo Trace Distillers. Good quality bourbons for a good price. 

• Like 5

Oh and you sip it, neat. It's not like doing a shot. For god sakes, no ice, water, or Coke in it. Slow and easy, sip, letting it roll over your tongue and taste buds. Once it's down, slightly open your mouth and breath in through your mouth and nose slowly. You'll taste the different flavors of the bourbon. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, tadbart said:

Bourbon is my favorite liquor. Quite the opposite of TBO, I prefer low rye, high wheat bourbons. They're sweeter, less hot. Blanton's Maker's Mark, and Rebel Yell are examples of wheated bourbons. My go-to whiskey is good ol sour mash Jack Daniel's.

A couple weeks ago, I had a glass of Old Rip Van Winkle's 15 year. It was mighty fine, but I'd just as soon have Blanton's.

Cheers, Gentlemen!

Blanton's and the Pappy varieties are all from Buffalo Trace. They make great bourbon. It's only about an hr out of Louisville. December would be a great time to visit there. Wink wink, nudge nudge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Huskerbuttons said:

Blanton's and the Pappy varieties are all from Buffalo Trace. They make great bourbon. It's only about an hr out of Louisville. December would be a great time to visit there. Wink wink, nudge nudge. 

Dude, you're absolutely right. I happen to have a couple weeks off in December. I know there's a few days in Key West, but if my liver can tolerate it, I'd give L'Ville a looksee.  What's with these medical dudes winking at me? Gawsh, we are secure in our manhood!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huskerbuttons said:

Oh and you sip it, neat. It's not like doing a shot. For god sakes, no ice, water, or Coke in it. Slow and easy, sip, letting it roll over your tongue and taste buds. Once it's down, slightly open your mouth and breath in through your mouth and nose slowly. You'll taste the different flavors of the bourbon. 

I'm a big fan of the notes of chewing tobacco, vanilla, and baseball glove leather that I get from Maker's. Blanton's gives me apricots and caramel as a finish. Though not a bourbon, I also really appreciate the straightforward corn and charcoal from Jack. There's definitely as much an art to bourbon, as there is to Scotch whisky.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Huskerbuttons said:

Ark, my recommendation is to find a bourbon bar and try what the bartender recommends. Narrow it down to what you like and see if it's a wheat or a rye bourbon. I am more like tadbart and like the wheated bourbons  

This is what I currently have as the Huskerbuttons bourbon stash:

Willett Pot Still Reserve

Blanton's

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

1792 small batch

Jeffersons Reserve small batch

Old Weller Anitque Original 107 Brand

Four Roses Single Barrel

Blade and Bow 

Redemption

George Remus

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel 

Calumet Farm private selection

Angels Envy

If you like the sweeter wheat type, try anything from Buffalo Trace Distillers. Good quality bourbons for a good price. 

Thanks Huskerbuttons!

I'll be seeking out a good bourbon bar near me. Did a search and it seems like NE FL has little to offer. I do travel to MIA and ATL fairly regularly and they seem to have good ones. I'll be on the lookout... :flamingshotfull: 

• Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.