Is Marlin Back?

c10bonanza

I've always had a soft spot for lever-action rifles.  I've heard that Henry's usually have excellent fit and finish, but I can't get past the lack of a side-loading gate.  Sure, the tube feed makes reloading easy, but loading is slow and cumbersome.  So, Marlin it is.

I've read lots of reports that Marlin's went to crap shortly after Remington took over--the so-called "Remlin" rifles.  But, recent reviews at a few online vendors claim that Marlin fit and finish is back and as good as ever.

I'd like to pick up a Marlin 336 Big Loop with 18.5" barrel next time it is on sale or has a rebate available.

Anyone bought a Marlin lever gun in the past year or so?  Is the Marlin quality of old truly back?  

Not at all. It's all the crap shot really. There was a period of around 2-3 years when the quality indeed improved over the previous time, but lately it's far from it. You have to inspect each and every part very carefully in person...yet I would have a hard time recommend one of their products now. Maybe just my bad luck with the ones I've seen, but for sure I was not exactly impressed.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Not at all. It's all the crap shot really. There was a period of around 2-3 years when the quality indeed improved over the previous time, but lately it's far from it. You have to inspect each and every part very carefully in person...yet I would have a hard time recommend one of their products now. Maybe just my bad luck with the ones I've seen, but for sure I was not exactly impressed.

Have you been able to look at several current production guns?  I would be surprised in QC is back to what it once was, but the uniform glowing reviews I've been seeing from recent buyers makes me hopeful.

From what I have seen they are definitely not back to pre-Freedom Group quality. 

I would give the Henry another look. The tube magazine is not as fun to load as a side port, but IMO loading is much faster with the tube. 

Not to mention unloading is very easy. Rather than ejecting all your rounds by working the action, you undo the tube and point it to the seat of your truck. All the rounds fall out and you work the action to empty the chamber. 

I found that constant unloading and loading during deer season caused setback issues with just a few chamberings. 

Give Uncle Henry a chance. Or keep your eyes peeled for a JM pre safety mode. I found one in beautiful condition last year for $350. These were affordable working guns that usually lived in a truck or a four wheeler rack and saw hard use and neglect. This one was near mint. 

• Like 3

What's wrong with buying a used Gun? The original Marlins were built to last a lifetime and the 30-30 is not known for burning out barrels. It's not hard to find a JM marlin in good condition.

A couple of years ago I found a Winchester model 94 in excellent condition with a nice walnut stock and good bluing and a the rifling in the barrekl was sharp and everything was tight and I paid $300 for it,  It was made in 1972 and the quality was much improved over the earlier post-1964 models and this gun had been well cared for and the wood has beautiful grain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collim1 said:

From what I have seen they are definitely not back to pre-Freedom Group quality. 

I would give the Henry another look. The tube magazine is not as fun to load as a side port, but IMO loading is much faster with the tube. 

Not to mention unloading is very easy. Rather than ejecting all your rounds by working the action, you undo the tube and point it to the seat of your truck. All the rounds fall out and you work the action to empty the chamber. 

I found that constant unloading and loading during deer season caused setback issues with just a few chamberings. 

Give Uncle Henry a chance. Or keep your eyes peeled for a JM pre safety mode. I found one in beautiful condition last year for $350. These were affordable working guns that usually lived in a truck or a four wheeler rack and saw hard use and neglect. This one was near mint. 

Great thoughts. Thanks!

The tube is slower than a side gate to top off with a round, no?

Growing up my best friend has a marlin .22lr that was tube load.  I hated dropping one round at a time in that tube for some reason. I just figured I would feel the same way about 30-30 ammo.  

Good points about bullet setback caused by repeatedly clambering a round.  

52 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

What's wrong with buying a used Gun? The original Marlins were built to last a lifetime and the 30-30 is not known for burning out barrels. It's not hard to find a JM marlin in good condition.

A couple of years ago I found a Winchester model 94 in excellent condition with a nice walnut stock and good bluing and a the rifling in the barrekl was sharp and everything was tight and I paid $300 for it,  It was made in 1972 and the quality was much improved over the earlier post-1964 models and this gun had been well cared for and the wood has beautiful grain

You’re right, BW.  Nothing at all wrong with a used rifle, and I bet there are some cherries out there.  

My problem is time.  Lack of time to be precise.  I don’t have the time to hunt around for a used Marlin in good shape at a decent price.  That’s the only reason I’m considering buying new.  Couple of clicks online, 10 minutes at my FFL a week later, and done!

41 minutes ago, c10bonanza said:

You’re right, BW.  Nothing at all wrong with a used rifle, and I bet there are some cherries out there.  

My problem is time.  Lack of time to be precise.  I don’t have the time to hunt around for a used Marlin in good shape at a decent price.  That’s the only reason I’m considering buying new.  Couple of clicks online, 10 minutes at my FFL a week later, and done!

In that case, either get over your aversion to tube loading and get a Henry or if you absolutely have to have the "Traditional" loading gate, get a Mossberg 464. Like Henry, Mossberg is a family owned FIREARMS company that takes pride in their firearms and offers excellent customer service. Remlin customer service is not much better tha their quality control. I've dealt with them, and it was a nightmare. It may be better now but maybe not.

The Mossberg has a loading gate and a tang safety

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/53904

moss media.jpg

• Like 1

No.  Marlin quality is at best a crap shoot with them using inferior steel for fasteners among other issues.

I bought my Remlin in January and despite some gunsmithing and replacement of parts, it still chokes every now and then.

It's why I'm looking at building a .450 Bushmaster AR for my new woods carry rifle.

There are folks who swear the new Marlins are just as good as the old JM Marlins.  They are idiots.  

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

No.  Marlin quality is at best a crap shoot with them using inferior steel for fasteners among other issues.

I bought my Remlin in January and despite some gunsmithing and replacement of parts, it still chokes every now and then.

It's why I'm looking at building a .450 Bushmaster AR for my new woods carry rifle.

There are folks who swear the new Marlins are just as good as the old JM Marlins.  They are idiots.  

Why not 458 Socom? the 458 SOCOM can handle the same bullets as the 45-70 while the 450 Bushmaster has a much more limited bullet selection.

The problem with the Remlins is inferior steel and heat treating an dpiss-poor quality control at every stage on manufacture. If the fasteners are known to commonly fail, so might an internal part but you'll never know WHEN it's going to fail.  These guys that buy then a fire 50 to 100 rounds and call it good, I wouldn't call them idiots. but they may end up being suckers that got taken advantage of.

Edited by Borg warner

So, if I was going to be patient and look for a used model, what year range of Marlin should I look for?  And, how can you determine year of manufacture?

i suppose there might be some on the market in January-February.  Deer season and Xmas are over and the bills are starting to be due.  

3 hours ago, c10bonanza said:

So, if I was going to be patient and look for a used model, what year range of Marlin should I look for?  And, how can you determine year of manufacture?

i suppose there might be some on the market in January-February.  Deer season and Xmas are over and the bills are starting to be due.  

Basically you want a gun that has a JM stamp and was made before 2010. 2007 or earlier would be even better. Note: the JM stamp is spate from the serial number.  From 1941 to 1964 the first prefix of the serial numbers will begin with a letter that stands for the year. And from 1965 to 1968 the prefixes were AA, AB, AC, and AD. From late 68 to 1972 guns were marked 68,69,70. 71, and 72. From 1973 to 2000 the numbers went backwards from 27 to 00 and from 2000  the numbers went backwards from 99 to 90

EXAMPLES for reading dates of manufacture:

• If your rifle has the single letter “V” serial number prefix, that indicates a 1962 year of manufacture.
  • Letters “AC” = 1967
  • Numbers “24” = 1976.

(Notice there are no “I”, “O”, or “Q” serial number prefixes in use. Too confusing with the number 1, and 0 )

LETTER/NUMBER PREFIX DATE OF MANUFACTURE
B 1941

No commercial manufacture from sometime in 1941/’42 until 1945, due to WWII production & retooling.

C 1945
c (not capital C) 1946
D 1947
E 1948
F 1949
G 1950
H 1951
J 1952
K 1953
L 1954
M 1955
N 1956
P 1957
R 1958
S 1959
T 1960
U 1961
V 1962
W 1963
Y 1964
Z 1964
AA 1965
AB 1966
AC 1967
AD EARLY 1968
68 LATE 1968
69 1969
70 1970
71 1971
72 1972
27 1973
26 1974
25 1975
24 1976
23 1977
22 1978
21 1979
20 1980
19 1981
18 1982
17 1983
16 1984
15 1985
14 1986
13 1987
12 1988
11 1989
10 1990
09 1991
08 1992
07 1993
06 1994
05 1995
04 1996
03 1997
02 1998
01 1999
00 2000
99 2001
98 2002
97 2003
96 2004
95 2005
94 2006
93 2007
92 2008
91 2009
90 2010
89 / MR (See note Below) 2011

RANDOM NOTES -

Sometime in 2011 the serial number prefix became MR. This was done in conjunction with the sale of Marlin, and subsequent move to the Remington Arms plant in Ilion, NY. Speculation is that once receivers started being manufactured at the Ilion, NY, plant the prefix became MR

jm.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2018 at 11:35 AM, c10bonanza said:

I've always had a soft spot for lever-action rifles.  I've heard that Henry's usually have excellent fit and finish, but I can't get past the lack of a side-loading gate.  Sure, the tube feed makes reloading easy, but loading is slow and cumbersome.  So, Marlin it is.

I've read lots of reports that Marlin's went to crap shortly after Remington took over--the so-called "Remlin" rifles.  But, recent reviews at a few online vendors claim that Marlin fit and finish is back and as good as ever.

I'd like to pick up a Marlin 336 Big Loop with 18.5" barrel next time it is on sale or has a rebate available.

Anyone bought a Marlin lever gun in the past year or so?  Is the Marlin quality of old truly back?  

A few years ago, when I gave in to 30-30 lust; I looked hard at the Marlins.  I ended up with a Mossberg 464.   Might be worth a look.  It does have the side loading port.  It's a side eject, so a scope isn't a problem.  Top tang safety is ambidextrous.  Very smooth action.    I like it alot.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/464-lever-action-centerfire-rifles/

Edited by dudel
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 9:40 PM, Borg warner said:

+1 for used as well. 1970s-era Model 94s are real sleepers as far as quality shooters are concerned (I have a 1972 mfg 94 as well) and used 336s are common enough good ones can be had at reasonable prices. I’ve handled too many “Freedom Group” guns, mostly Rem 870s, to have any faith in their products. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudel said:

A few years ago, when I gave in to 30-30 lust; I looked hard at the Marlins.  I ended up with a Mossberg 464.   Might be worth a look.  It does have the side loading port.  It's a side eject, so a scope isn't a problem.  Top tang safety is ambidextrous.  Very smooth action.    I like it alot.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/464-lever-action-centerfire-rifles/

I'll give those a look - thanks!

On 9/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, c10bonanza said:

Have you been able to look at several current production guns?  I would be surprised in QC is back to what it once was, but the uniform glowing reviews I've been seeing from recent buyers makes me hopeful.

Few? I've seen hundreds of them, while working behind the gun counter at Cabela's. Eye opener as you are also exposed to the return rate on the particular brands. Believe me. Marlin is leading manufacturer when it comes to the number of the unhappy users. Maybe they just not always present on the internet, but by far they lead the "charge" when it comes to putting the crap in the hands of their clients.

Edited by Nestor
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nestor said:

Few? I've seen hundreds of them, while working behind the gun counter at Cabela's. Eye opener as you are also exposed to the return rate on the particular brands. Believe me. Marlin is leading manufacturer when it comes to the number of the unhappy users. Maybe they just not always present on the internet, but by far they lead the "charge" when it comes to putting the crap in the hands of their clients.

I appreciate your perspective!