.22lr conversion kit or dedicated rifle

c10bonanza

I would rather have a dedicated rifle and not be disassembling a gun just to shoot .22lr. 

I might would buy a .22lr upper and swap a lower, but I would prefer to have Atleast a complete upper. 

Who knows where my irons and red dot zero’d for .223 are going to hit with with .22lr. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collim1 said:

I would rather have a dedicated rifle and not be disassembling a gun just to shoot .22lr. 

I might would buy a .22lr upper and swap a lower, but I would prefer to have Atleast a complete upper. 

Who knows where my irons and red dot zero’d for .223 are going to hit with with .22lr. 

Disassembling? You pull the back pin, open up the rifle, pull the bcg set it aside, slip the .22lr bcg in and button it up. 30 seconds.

I have the cmmg kit for my ARs, so far works great. Also have a Sig 522, it runs the same mags as the AR conversion. My ARs RD, have lights and one has a laser, if you add another rifle (15-22) then you have more optics and kit to buy. I remember looking at the 15-22 before buying the Sig, I was hoping to buy a Sig 556 but found them too expensive compared to a good quality AR.

If I recall correctly, my .22lr and .223 at 25 yrds are about the same. I am more of a combat shooter, I'll shoot at paper to get things fine tuned and after that I shoot steel targets. I get a lot more shooting done in my session and there is something about pingin' that steel relentlessly that breeds some confidence in my meager skills. 

Edited by ARP
  • Like 1

I like the S&Ws but if you want to go shorter (and more costly) then the dedicated uppers from Tactical Solutions are my favorites. 

CMMG makes one as well and PSA sells a near copy (I recently bought the 7.5" version for a pistol lower), but I haven't had any shooting time with one.

I will say the S&W magazines are great, and there are a couple of adapters available to allow their use in a standard AR lower. The Better Mag Adapter and the Catch 22

Good luck  

• Like 1

Something to be aware of....magazines, for a AR conversion kit will NOT work in a S&W15-22. I am almost positive this is the case. In my case (I have a cmmg conversion kit and a Sig 522) the magazines I buy from Black Dog Machining interchange with both kits. On their web site they state that the Sig 522 and conversion kit mags will NOT work with the S&W15-22. Black Dog mags have metal feed lips, good stuff. They also make/sell mags for the 15-22. I pay about $18 per 25 rd mag.

Edited by ARP
  • Like 1