Best sub-$800 Over/Under 20g shotgun for bird hunting...

Scwine

Does anybody have any preferences/recommendations for a new sub-$800 O/U 20 gauge for dove hunting? Seems like most in this category are made in Turkey, FWIW. 

CZ(their lower-end), Yildez, Stevens,  etc.???

Edited by Scwine

• 3 months later...

I know it’s an older thread, but I’ve got a CZ Redhead deluxe and I like it a lot. Probably have about three thousand rounds thru it without any problem. 

I don’t expect it to last like a Browning. Next time I’ll probably cough up the funds and get a tank like that and have it fitted. Just something about clay shooting that keeps me coming back. 

Cheap O/U’s can often be problematic. Barrel regulation and fit of the barrel to receiver can become issues over time, or can be a problem out of the box. 

IMO, If my budget was truly $800 I would choose a nice 20g semi auto. I bought a used Remington 1187 Premier from a local shop for $350 years ago. It’s wood and bluing are beautiful, and it’s incredibly soft shooting and reliable. 

If I had to have an $800 O/U it would be a Ruger Red Label. You could score one used in auction under your budget on GB if you were patient. 

They are typical Ruger overbuilt, but the 20g would still be relatively lightweight and balanced.  The ones I have fired and handled were all fit well and had proper barrel regulation above their price tag, IMo of course. 

If was going to get serious about clays and just had to have a O/U I would save up and scrounge for a Beretta Silver Pigeon that was ordered to fit me. 

But I have smoked a few relatives shooting Berettas with my 1187, and I’ve never been self conscious about shooting it alongside the big $$$$$ shooters and their $2500 guns. 

7D9DED1B-7071-4DBB-AB25-62DB4F794A2A.jpeg

Edited by Collim1

53 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Heck a .410 would take out a dove, it is about the size of a pigeon. :)

That is true. I have killed dove with a single #6 pellet, and possibly even as little as two or three #7.5’s

killing them with a .410 is not the problem......hitting the damn things is?

Edited by Collim1

• 4 weeks later...
On September 11, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Scwine said:

Does anybody have any preferences/recommendations for a new sub-$800 O/U 20 gauge for dove hunting? Seems like most in this category are made in Turkey, FWIW. 

Picked up last year after searching for quite awhile an Armsport model 2700 O/u imported from Italy in 20 guage preowned in really nice shape barrels are modified and improved cylinder if I recall paid $350 for it perfect bird gun pheasants and grouse ...shop around you'll find one dont be afraid to purchase one used, I buy preowned very often never had a problem ...goggle will help ya 

• Like 1

Valmet.....Hey one of my favorite characters "Brey Fox" I've got the tape ( copy) of "Song of the south"  one of the first movies I saw as a child. Who said " I'm going to knock his head clean off ! )  ?? 

--------------------

Also re the O/U 20 GA, if ya got pawn shops near your resident check them out got a 10/22 dirt cheap in a pawn shop they had a good selection of shot guns for sale, 

Edited by SilverRidge01

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Scwine said:

The Turkish guns are actually quite well made, The Mossberg Silver Reserve II Field Over/Under Shotgun is supposed to be quite good but the Stevens model 555's have had problems with the guns doubleing which may have been taken care of by now.

My biggest gripe is that nobody makea an affordable 28 Gauge that isn't build on the 20 gauge frame. Both Mossberg and Savage make a 28 gauge but both at 6 or 6 1/2 pound guns the same as the 20 guage guns.

You have to pay over $4.000 to get a thin, graceful. lightweight 28 guage built on a 410 frame such a s the Rizzini BR 550 Small Action. The 28 gauge would make the perfect youth gun. It's easier to hit with that a 410 but recoils less than a 20. I love 410's but the 28 gauge is everything the 410 should be but isn't. It's the shotgunning world's best kept secret.

226s.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1