My Gen 5 Experience

JJHNSN

I'm now the soon-to-be proud owner of a Glock Gen 17 Gen 5 handgun, the Ameriglo model ... I might have it by Friday or Saturday of this week I'm a long-time Glock owner user and have had Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks for years. I'll just just use this topic to share my thoughts, impressions and experiences with the Gen 5.

Edited by JJHNSN

4 hours ago, JJHNSN said:

I don't know how you manage to live with yourself, since you appear to be a complete and total douche nozzle, but hey...it's a free country.

Not my fault you bought 2 defective guns partner.

1 hour ago, JJHNSN said:

Says the guy who just today declared he is going to buy a Glock 19 Gen 5...I mean, how could you? You, with a defective gun? Amazing.

images.jpg

I said look and compare and maybe buy one. It's still ugly with shoddy craftsmanship.

Oh my gosh, I actually like my Gen 5 Glock 17. After reading all the  comments from experts around here declaring the obvious failings of the Gen 5 Glocks, I expected today to pick up my new Glock 17 Gen 5 and be woefully disappointed. But ....

I love it.

• Love the fact is has no finger grooves, humps and what not. SO much easier for me to grip and it feels GREAT.
  • Love the trigger. Definitely and noticeably less gritty, mushy and a crisper break and reset. If is HUGELY different, no, but ... every bit helps. I had the guys in the gun shop where I picked it up try it and one Glock fanatic in particular was particularly impressed. FWIW...again, nothing HUGELY better, but ... heck...nice.
  • I really like the new magazines, very easy to see the orange through the holes in the mag. Hope we can buy more soon.
  • The internals appear to be improved, the safety "plunger" looks much more robust.
  • The finish/coating on the slide is very nice. A nice rich black, rather than an anemic grey and the barrel appears to be treated comparably.
  • The front of the slide is nicely bevelled and while the critics (idiots!) here are declaring the frame not equally beveled, it looks great and just fine and dandy.
  • The RTF treatment on the grip is great, in fact, just about perfect in my opinion. I may or may not throw some Talon grips on it.
  • I purchased mine with Ameriglo Sights and they are GREAT...excellent front post width and rear sight width. For less than $100 bucks more, a good investment.

I've put together a HUGE photo album on Imgur if you want to take a look at it in detailed photos.

I noticed a few things:

The frame has a "tab" that fills/blocks a slot in the back of the slide, I used a Gen 3  Glock 17 for comparison's sake. You can see what I'm talking about in the photos.

Take a look at the photos, in a many of them I'm comparing this Gen 5 to a Gen 3 and I tried to show the difference in barrel rifling.

Click on this link to see this Glock 17 Gen 5 album, and you will notice a number of  images where I'm comparing it to a Glock 17 Gen 3 model (in OD green).

11 hours ago, JJHNSN said:
Oh my gosh, I actually like my Gen 5 Glock 17. After reading all the  comments from experts around here declaring the obvious failings of the Gen 5 Glocks, I expected today to pick up my new Glock 17 Gen 5 and be woefully disappointed. But ....

You're kind of new to the internet, huh?