officer enters wrong apartment ,shoots tenant

ASH

7 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

I get that some of you don't want to know the whys and what happened and only want to mindlessly salivate at the headline because she is LE.    

Off duty female LEO comes home but enters wrong apartment. Apartment possibly appears ransacked.  Female LEOs sees someone inside "her" apartment that she does not know.  She shoots and kills him.  Female LEO's blood drawn for drug/alcohol analysis.  Investigation continuing.  

So far, it seems she did screw up, especially if she was at the time under the influence.  So (from the article), she's facing the same legal consequences as any CCWer in a similar situation.     

I do not salivate at the killing of [apparently innocent] people by LEO's or by anyone else. In fact, I do not salivate at the killing of anyone, though some deserve it. Entering a wrong house - LEO, or not -thinking is yours is a screw-up! Most kids above 8 don't do it... Oops, I fucked my neighbor thinking she was my wife!

Then killing someone inside because X, Y, Z did not look right? Well, that goes beyond screwing up!

Yes, there may be circumstances or facts not known yet, but my comments here are based on what I KNOW. Besides, there's nothing Trayvonesque in the headlines that suggest foul play: she entered the wrong house.

6 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

If it turns out this was motivated by (assuming) a personal relationship that went bad, how that that make her a dirty cop?    Personal relationships gone bad is a fairly common reason for people to kill.  If she had been a secretary, would she be called a dirty secretary who deserves harsh punishment?  IDK.  

Cops, by the very nature of their jobs are expected to not commit felonies. At least I expect them to not commit felonies. I consider it corruption if a cop takes bribes, extorts from others, steals, beats confessions out of suspects, frames people, commits rape, commits murder or engages in other criminal activity. Murder is worse than taking a bribe for looking the other way when a drug deal is being transacted. How would you consider a cop who commits murder less corrupt than one who fixes a ticket for $100? Which offense do you consider worse?

As for this case it could be that she just did something really boneheaded. That would not be corruption IMO but should preclude her EVER working as a cop again. OTOH if she lied to cover up anything in this case than every conviction she ever had a part in should be subject to being re examined.

43 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

What seems to be lost in this thread is the fact that regardless of whether this is a case where she walked into the wrong apartment and thought an intruder was inside, or (assuming) it was a personal relationship gone bad, she's being arrested like anyone in this situation would have been.    

It did take a while didn't it? In fact as of yesterday she still wasn't jailed. Would a civilian be offered the same courtesy in a similar situation?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

It did take a while didn't it? In fact as of yesterday she still wasn't jailed. Would a civilian be offered the same courtesy in a similar situation?

Would this have gotten the same media coverage if a black civilian would have been the shooter? 

15 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Off the top of my head, there's that white guy in Florida who was pushed to the parking lot ground and shot the black guy.  It happened about a month ago?

She wasn't arrested fast enough to your liking?  OK.  That there may be other similar situations we don't know about (because it doesn't make the national media) where a person wasn't arrested fast enough to your liking doesn't also mean special "courtesy."   

Edited by PATCHMAN

5 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

Off the top of my head, there's that white guy in Florida who was pushed to the parking lot ground and shot the black guy.  It happened about a month ago?

She wasn't arrested fast enough to your liking?  OK.  That there may be other similar situations we don't know about (because it doesn't make the national media) where a person wasn't arrested fast enough to your liking doesn't also mean special "courtesy."   

Entered the WRONG house.

8 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Entered the WRONG house.

That was in the media but it might not be accurate from what I overheard. The case is now investigated by Texas Rangers and it is now up to the prosecutor to issue a possible arrest warrant and file charges within 72 hours. If he files murder charges and a jury finds it to be man slaughter there is the double jeopardy issue.  A prosecutor is not bound by the initial charge decision and can later change the crimes charged once more evidence is obtained.

2 minutes ago, Andyd said:

That was in the media but it might not be accurate from what I overheard. The case is now investigated by Texas Rangers and it is now up to the prosecutor to issue a possible arrest warrant and file charges within 72 hours. If he files murder charges and a jury finds it to be man slaughter there is the double jeopardy issue.  A prosecutor is not bound by the initial charge decision and can later change the crimes charged once more evidence is obtained.

Awaiting developments... 

1 hour ago, G26S239 said:

If that is the case she should be hammered very hard. I am generally supportive of cops but dirty cops deserve harsh treatment.

I'm very pro LE. She was no longer a cop when she pulled the trigger. Not even a dirty cop. Her career in LE is history. Not a reflection of LEOs. 

I believe this was personal and the evidence will come out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SevenSixtyTwo said:

I'm very pro LE. She was no longer a cop when she pulled the trigger. Not even a dirty cop. Her career in LE is history. Not a reflection of LEOs. 

Are you sure that your comment complies with DPD policies? I agree that she has no place in law enforcement and IMHO this is a perfect example of the results of DPD trying to be more PC and get more female officers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SevenSixtyTwo said:

I disagree. She is a cop until the point the Dept terminates her employment.

12 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

Pure speculation, but the young man's apartment may have been the typical single-guy-lives-alone messy.  And the female LEO, upon entering what she believed was "her" apartment, thought it was ransacked. Then she sees a man she did not recognize...

Again, pure speculation on my part.        

I believe this is what Perry Mason refers to as "assuming facts not in evidence." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pistolay said:

I believe this is what Perry Mason refers to as "assuming facts not in evidence." 

The words "pure speculation" at the start of my post, and the words "pure speculation on my part" at the end of my post is what Perry Mason would call clues.  Of course, I also speculate that Mr. Mason would have used small words to define what "speculate" and/or "speculation" meant and explained/clarified how they affected my post's meaning and context... specifically to the apartment appearing ransacked,  given what the victim's family said.       

Allie Jean said. "He's a bachelor. Things are different inside."

Edited by PATCHMAN

In your experience/jurisdiction, would a civilian who entered a house/apartment, not their own and shoot/kill the legal occupant be allowed to go home for days while it was sorted out. Or would they have been taken immediately to jail that night, locked up and seen a judge the next morning for a bail hearing.

And if so, what jurisdiction is that?

• Like 1

If the civilian was sober/not high or intoxicated and stated she believed she was entering her own apartment, and there are no signs of forced entry (made by her) to the door she went through (OR the civilian says "her" door was ajar when normally it is her habit to close and lock the door) and then she says she sees an individual in "her" apartment that she knew didn't belong in "her" apartment, what would this civilian be arrested for?  

What charges would you arrest her for?  Would you even bother with an investigation to either verify or to disprove her story?  

Edited by PATCHMAN

37 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

In your experience/jurisdiction, would a civilian who entered a house/apartment, not their own and shoot/kill the legal occupant be allowed to go home for days while it was sorted out. Or would they have been taken immediately to jail that night, locked up and seen a judge the next morning for a bail hearing.

And if so, what jurisdiction is that?

Jail and bail hearing before they sort it out?  

With all due respect, but you're too caught up with the fact she was LE when this happened and wasn't arrested fast enough for your liking.  

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyd said:

Are you sure that your comment complies with DPD policies? I agree that she has no place in law enforcement and IMHO this is a perfect example of the results of DPD trying to be more PC and get more female officers.

Not at all. Just my opinion. In my opinion, she is no longer a cop regardless of DPD policy or even the outcome of this case and she does not reflect the professionalism of LEO's. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Great, the editor got somehow stuck in my previous post and did not let me erase the quote.

In this and any other ongoing investigation there will be no details disclosed until the charges are filed. DPD has a policy that officers have to carry their duty weapon and badge at any time and are always police officers. This makes it an officer involved shooting. Officers that get involved in shooting usually do not get booked with their identity being established and an obviously very little flight risk. Law enforcement officers get arrested if and when charges are filed against them by the D.A. 

The tenant got shot in his doorway, not inside the apartment. There must be something more to the story but just trust the media to form your own opinion if you are simple minded enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andyd said:

Great, the editor got somehow stuck in my previous post and did not let me erase the quote.

In this and any other ongoing investigation there will be no details disclosed until the charges are filed. DPD has a policy that officers have to carry their duty weapon and badge at any time and are always police officers. This makes it an officer involved shooting. Officers that get involved in shooting usually do not get booked with their identity being established and an obviously very little flight risk. Law enforcement officers get arrested if and when charges are filed against them by the D.A. 

The tenant got shot in his doorway, not inside the apartment. There must be something more to the story but just trust the media to form your own opinion if you are simple minded enough.

It's just an opinion. Not a testimony in a court of law. 

Resorts to insults to bolster an argument that doesn't exist...

http://justnotsaid.blogspot.com/2011/08/aspergers-syndrome.html