Headphone help

Eric2340

Well it's that time again. >:( My second set of wired Pioneer over the hear headphones which I LOVE the sound of have broken AGAIN, second time, SECOND set. As much as I love sound of them, they are POS and I refuse to buy a third pair only to have them crack again on the sides. :(

So, I need a GOOD pair of WIRED headphones with good sound quality for PC use. I've tried two sets of Sony studio quality ones that are supposed to be the end all to be all and an industry standard - NEITHER of which have any low (bass) quality ( I don't listen to rap, but a lot of LOUD rock like Motorhead and whatnot).

So anyone have any suggestions for a good set of WIRED headphones for home use? I don't use them on the go and I do NOT want a wireless set.

Thanks -

I have an old pair of Klipsch speakers that I love.  I bought my son a pair of Klipsch headphones, because I refused to buy him Beats.  The broke in about 2 months.  Headstrap is plastic and snapped in half.  They replaced, but new ones broke in same place.

4 hours ago, toofman said:

I have an old pair of Klipsch speakers that I love.  I bought my son a pair of Klipsch headphones, because I refused to buy him Beats.  The broke in about 2 months.  Headstrap is plastic and snapped in half.  They replaced, but new ones broke in same place.

Same issue I have had with the Pioneers, why I refuse to buy a third set and then have to try and rig them back together when they break also. >:( Piss poor design on a great sounding product.

I am now leaning towards Audio-Technicas to try those?

4 hours ago, Oneshotonepill said:

Have you tried a headphone amp?  That may be what's missing from those Sonys.  

No I did not, but the Pioneers I have been happy with the sound quality did not require one either?

This is only for use with my PC, and yes while I realize it's a "PC" - I am only again chasing this sound quality issue for a different set as the ones I had sounded so good on it. In other words I'm not in this for overall total "audio quality", but more so how every other set I have tried in this same use so like &^%$ compared to these two sets of Pioneers I have enjoyed so much. :(

Well I just bought some over-ear closed headphones, plus a Walkman. The Walkman's chassis is machined from a solid billet of aluminum and it outputs enough power for almost any headphone in production. The structural parts of the headphone are all metal (aluminum, titanium, and stainless steel), headband and earpads are real cowhide and sheepskin, it is made entirely in Japan, the sound is rich, detailed but not harsh. It is a fantastic combo.

Buy once, cry once. I figure I'm good with this rig for at least 10 years before the Walkman's battery tanks. Then maybe replace the Walkman if I can't find an OEM battery. Headphones should still be going strong when I croak.

4j4kCe2.jpg

pUJPLEJ.jpg

Edited by Grabbrass

I'm gonna guess the Sony's you tried were the mdr-7506? or the mdr-v6 (practically the same thing)

Those are studio monitors. They're meant to reveal detail, not 'sound good.' You didn't like those headphones for the same reason you wouldn't want studio monitors as home loudspeakers. 

You may like the ATH-M50x, but I wouldn't recommend anything else from Audio-Technica based on your priorities and musical interests. Most AT headphones are also light on bass. 

6 hours ago, Grabbrass said:

I'm gonna guess the Sony's you tried were the mdr-7506? or the mdr-v6 (practically the same thing)

Those are studio monitors. They're meant to reveal detail, not 'sound good.' You didn't like those headphones for the same reason you wouldn't want studio monitors as home loudspeakers. 

You may like the ATH-M50x, but I wouldn't recommend anything else from Audio-Technica based on your priorities and musical interests. Most AT headphones are also light on bass. 

Yes, I actually have tried both - the mdr-7506 and the mdr-v6, and no, I was NOT happy with either one compared to the Pioneers ( HDJ-500R ) I had. :(

If you don't recommend the Audio-Technica  ( that I already ordered this afternoon :( ), what WOULD you recommend in the under $150 range then? That's my current budget. :(

Thanks -

1 hour ago, Eric2340 said:

Yes, I actually have tried both - the mdr-7506 and the mdr-v6, and no, I was NOT happy with either one compared to the Pioneers ( HDJ-500R ) I had. :(

If you don't recommend the Audio-Technica  ( that I already ordered this afternoon :( ), what WOULD you recommend in the under $150 range then? That's my current budget. :(

Thanks -

Which Audio-Technica dd you order? I said the ATH-M50x will probably make you happy. I do recommend that one, just not other Audio-Technica. The ATH-M50x can be a little brash/peaky in the treble depending on the music (IMHO) but has sufficient bass and the isolation is pretty good.  It's a decent headphone at that price for rock/metal.  IIRC there is a little more clamping force than I liked for extended-wearing comfort, but I've got a big head so I say that about a lot of headphones.

I'm a rather blunt critic when it comes to headphones and maybe overstate criticisms that most people wouldn't care about or notice - but everything in the usual consumer price range carries major compromises. If it has enough bass, it's probably muddy and bleeds into the mid-range. If the treble is detailed, it's usually way too harsh like an icepick in the eardrum, and the bass will be thin. Plastic construction results in stress cracking, fake leather pads crack and peel, etc. Really good headphones cost as much to make, and buy, as really good loudspeakers. But most people can't get their head around that idea. It took me some time and numerous disappointments to learn it myself.

Did you order a different A-T headphone than the ATH-M50x? Which one? 

I've owned several different Audio-Technica headphones and IEM earphones. Well made stuff for the price. Just, the Audio-Technica "house sound" has never been to my liking. The only exception, for me was the ATH-ES7, a portable on-ear headphone that's no longer made. It sounded awesome, but was uncomfortable as hell after 20 minutes. My son has the ATH-M50, the predecessor to the 50x, and I only got to audition it once for about 1 hour. Fortunately it also did not have the usual Audio-Technica house sound, which is why I think it'll work for you. Headphones are really subjective though - let me know how it works out for ya.

Edited by Grabbrass

24 minutes ago, Grabbrass said:

Which Audio-Technica dd you order? I said the ATH-M50x will probably make you happy. I do recommend that one, just not other Audio-Technica. The ATH-M50x can be a little brash/peaky in the treble depending on the music (IMHO) but has sufficient bass and the isolation is pretty good.  It's a decent headphone at that price for rock/metal.  IIRC there is a little more clamping force than I liked for extended-wearing comfort, but I've got a big head so I say that about a lot of headphones.

I'm a rather blunt critic when it comes to headphones and maybe overstate criticisms that most people wouldn't care about or notice - but everything in the usual consumer price range carries major compromises. If it has enough bass, it's probably muddy and bleeds into the mid-range. If the treble is detailed, it's usually way too harsh like an icepick in the eardrum, and the bass will be thin. Plastic construction results in stress cracking, fake leather pads crack and peel, etc. Really good headphones cost as much to make, and buy, as really good loudspeakers. But most people can't get their head around that idea. It took me some time and numerous disappointments to learn it myself.

Did you order a different A-T headphone than the ATH-M50x? Which one? 

I've owned several different Audio-Technica headphones and IEM earphones. Well made stuff for the price. Just, the Audio-Technica "house sound" has never been to my liking. The only exception, for me was the ATH-ES7, a portable on-ear headphone that's no longer made. It sounded awesome, but was uncomfortable as hell after 20 minutes. My son has the ATH-M50, the predecessor to the 50x, and I only got to audition it once for about 1 hour. Fortunately it also did not have the usual Audio-Technica house sound, which is why I think it'll work for you. Headphones are really subjective though - let me know how it works out for ya.

I ordered the ATH-M40x after doing a lot of research on them earlier this AM. I had read about the 50's also and read several things describing the difference between the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's and finally settled on the 40's after most recommended them out of all of them (the ATH's that is).

I fully understand what you are saying and it makes sense, but again I am not listening to any hi-fi equipment with this, I am merely just using these on my PC. My largest issue more than anything else is just trying to find something that sounds as good as those cheap Pioneer HDJ-500R's did. :( If I can replicate that then I will be happy, I am not after "the best there is", just what sounds as close as those Pioneers I was happy with. :(

Thanks -

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 9:32 PM, Grabbrass said:

Fortunately it also did not have the usual Audio-Technica house sound, which is why I think it'll work for you. Headphones are really subjective though - let me know how it works out for ya. 

Well you were right, they sound good (the A/T) but I am not happy with them - just slightly too little bass on the low end (drums/bass). The also sound just slightly "muffled" too?

I also went back and listened to the same thing I was testing them against with my old Pioneers, and while I can hear the lower end I am missing in the A/Ts that I am not happy with, I can also see where they are clearer with most of the other sounds (vocals and guitars) than the Pioneers and much clearer too.

Again I do NOT listen to heavy "bass music" like rap or club music, but mainly metal and it just seems I can not get the heavier low end sound I am used to and happy with I have been getting from these Pioneers I've had for so long. Also remember this is a cheap pair of Pioneers I was using also, so it's not like they were something any better than these A/Ts I am trying them against either - not like a pair of $500 cans vs a $50 set - this is more like a $100 set vs a $150 set - pretty similar quality wise, they just sound different. I'm also no audiophile either, I just know what I am used to what and I like and how it sounds and what I have gotten used to is all. :( Regardless, I am NOT happy enough with the A/Ts to keep them.

Any other suggestions in the $150 and under range? I'm considering the Marshalls next maybe?????

Thanks  -

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I like Bowers & Wilkins.  I use the P7 which is well above the range you listed in price, but they have one model in the range and one that you might be able to find on sale for that price (or if not, might consider because of some long lifespan features).  Now I will caveat that I would not describe them as bass heavy, instead a very neutral warm sound, so it might not be what you are looking for but they are well constructed and generally well reviewed.

The P3 Series 2 is right at $150 and the P5 Series 2 is $180.  Both have similar on ear construction, but the P5 uses 40mm drivers versus the smaller (30mm) units in the P3. 

Benefits: 

Solid construction

Replaceable cabling

Replaceable ear cups (magnetically attached)

Very clear sound

https://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-P5-Headphones-Drivers/dp/B00NOOWVCE/ref=pd_cp_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NOOWVCE&pd_rd_r=1346120b-bda6-11e8-baee-c185d6b5ce16&pd_rd_w=NMmfk&pd_rd_wg=XOrrf&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3f5155f5-5438-4fc3-ab83-bf013cfc8883&pf_rd_r=Q7FEN4YS2KAS72JZP6Z0&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Q7FEN4YS2KAS72JZP6Z0

Best Buy Magnolia stores likely have them in stock that you can demo.  The other thing to note, is that they do not hide any sounds from bad recordings, so if you have low quality digital files, you will hear it.

Jeff

Edited by jilverthor
Added Link