Considering a G26...Pros & Cons?

Redhat

Hi All,

I'm not a Glock fan but I've had a G19 for about 10 years.  I keep it around because it has been stone cold reliable, the slide is easy to manipulate, it has good capacity and is decently accurate.  Now I'm looking for something a bit more compact for CC purposes and so I find myself seriously considering a G26.  The only thing that makes me hesitate is the short grip and maybe the width.  So with that, I'd like to hear the pros and cons from some Baby Glock owners.

Thanks

• Like 1

For most shooters, it's a two fingers grip gun. Nothing you can not get used to with some practice. Same reliability and width as the G19, you can also use your G19 mags as well. A nice little CC gun. If you want something thinner, look at the G43. The only drawback is the 6 rds vs 10 of the 26, but it conceals nicely and it's a Glock.

And welcome to TBS.

6 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

For most shooters, it's a two fingers grip gun. Nothing you can not get used to with some practice. Same reliability and width as the G19, you can also use your G19 mags as well. A nice little CC gun. If you want something thinner, look at the G43. The only drawback is the 6 rds vs 10 of the 26, but it conceals nicely and it's a Glock.

And welcome to TBS.

Thanks

I have large hands so believe it or not, the G43 and other thin single stack pistols, are just too small for me to get a satisfactory grip on.  That's why I'm looking at the G26. 

I've also heard that the G26 has less muzzle flip

Edited by Redhat

I'm old fashioned and think if it's not 1911 you have issues.

I can't find anything wrong with a g26 if you can shoot it.  I think it's a perfect pistol. And I will never tell my therapist that.

I love mine. Don't tell anyone.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

My PERSONAL opinion. There’s nothing wrong with the 26. But if I’m going to carry a gun that fat, I’ll carry my 19. If I want a gun that small, I want it thinner. I have a 19 and an XDs (same size-ish as a G43). For me, when I want small, I also want thin. 

But, I also have little Trump hands so it works

A3E8EA08-ECD6-4037-9338-9D0071B5FBD5.jpeg.c9f6391fd8ce60d788487bf23e24acca.jpeg

• Like 2

I have no small hands. I admit it. I hate glocks but the darn things work very well. They just work. It is an example of brilliance. 

But they are not nose art.

G26 maybe a perfect Cary pistol. The xds is an antilock.  Buy both keep the one that works for you.

Edited by Historian

10 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Thanks for the link. Is there a significant difference in "printing" with these on? - Florida is not  Open Carry like Texas :)

Not at all.  They only add 3/8" or so to the front of the magazine.  Not really an area that prints.  I also have them on my G29.

9 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Not at all.  They only add 3/8" or so to the front of the magazine.  Not really an area that prints.  I also have them on my G29.

G29...and that is a beast. Love that pistol. Colt has brought back the delta elite!

10mm: When you need 1mm more than 9mm. It's like having an amplifier that goes to 11 and everyone else goes to 10.

Edited by Historian

18 minutes ago, Historian said:

G29...and that is a beast. Love that pistol. Colt has brought back the delta elite!

10mm: When you need 1mm more than 9mm. It's like having an amplifier that goes to 11 and everyone else goes to 10.

I'm recapping a Marshall 2203 as we speak.  

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Edited by Boogieman
Oops, wrong model.

30 minutes ago, John said:

My PERSONAL opinion. There’s nothing wrong with the 26. But if I’m going to carry a gun that fat, I’ll carry my 19.

I've heard that approach from others but I want something a little as where I live it's t-shirt weather about 9 mos of the year.  The G26 seems to have the reduced size while still carrying a decent amount of rounds in a reliable package.  

16 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I'm recapping a Marshall 2203 as we speak.  

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Please. There's not  enough room betwen you, Cibil and.all her personalities.

Glock makes a great pistol. It's not  a 1911 or a browning HP. It's all wrong and it flipping works and I have no argument against them but it's not a 1911. Except it's not a colt or sw wheel gun.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to clean my g26 backup off duty pistol. Why? Because ugly works. 

It's a freakin great pistol.

Edited by Historian

A pistol's height affects concealability more than anything else, and that's where the 26 shines. I have a 42 in case I'm going to be in a situation where my 26 won't conceal well enough, but I rarely have to carry it. IMO, if concealability is your primary concern and you want a double stack, you can't do better than the 26 (or 27 if you're a .40S&W guy).

Oh, and I'm more accurate with it than any other carry gun I've owned except my old Ruger SR9c. But the 26 matches it.

Edited by Pistolay

I carry a g26 during the summer (about 9 months in Texas.)  I wear xxl gloves, and sometimes they’re not big enough. I also use the gap/gee plates.  It’s probably my favorite carry gun.  It’s also fun to shoot.  This little guy has about 8000 rounds through it.  Note- that’s just a guess.  I quit counting long ago.

A26D17FF-8519-42D9-A747-249F1E0D19AC.thumb.jpeg.cf2f032d497a72148ead1594fc9eae41.jpeg

• Like 1

If I were going to get a G26 I'd get a Gen 5. They seem to be more accurate, have qa better trigger, and have no finger grooves and no front mag cut-out either. In my experience, they are a little thick for comfortable IWB carry, although some are able to ignore the discomfort. even so, single stacks are easier to conceal.

Everything having to do with concealed carry involves a trade-off of some kind. Larger guns tend to be more accurate and carry more ammo but are not as easy to conceal. This hold true for the G26. it is shorter in grip length and barrel length but it's the same width as the bigger guns. But that may be why they're nearly as accurate as the larger guns

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oneshotonepill said:

I carry a g26 during the summer (about 9 months in Texas.)  I wear xxl gloves, and sometimes they’re not big enough. I also use the gap/gee plates.  It’s probably my favorite carry gun.  It’s also fun to shoot.  This little guy has about 8000 rounds through it.  Note- that’s just a guess.  I quit counting long ago.

A26D17FF-8519-42D9-A747-249F1E0D19AC.thumb.jpeg.cf2f032d497a72148ead1594fc9eae41.jpeg

So what does that magazine base plate do for your grip?

Like Janice6, I too a man an therefore carry a G27. I like the extended +1/+2 mags instead of a GEE plate. I also have a G22 mag w/ sleeve that I sometimes carry on my pocket with the G27.

I gave my wife a G26 for Valentines about 16 or 17 years ago when we were still dating. I'm only alive to tell about it because it was a cute little 9mm good for flesh wounds only.

• Like 1

Not only is there nothing wrong with the G26/G27, it is not uncommon for people to shoot them as well as a G17/G22 or G19/G23. I am one of those people who really likes the full size Glocks, in particular the G17 and G22 in the smaller frame Glocks.  I don't especially care for the mid size, but find I shoot as well with the G26/27 as the full size G17/22. I don't use magazine extensions, keeping a two finger grip with the pinky hanging off, but I do carry a G17/G22 magazine for a reload. 

The G26/27 are very easy to carry and give up nothing to their bigger brothers. Some people don't like the way the grip hump fits in their hand but for me, that makes the Baby Glocks sit better in my hand. Many people have used Baby Glocks in competition against full size Glocks and won with the Baby's. 

Edited by Citra47
  • Thanks 1