Recommend a compact 9mm...

PNWguy

My normal CCW piece is a Springfield Armory XDS FDE in .40 S&W.  I love it as it is accurate and small.  Only downside is it only holds 6 rounds.  For a throw around truck gun and something with more capacity, I bought a Taurus G2c for $200 that is not much bigger and holds 12 rounds of 9mm. 

Initially, I loved that pistol.  It's the perfect size and capacity and it is always with me when out and about now.

However, it's shortcomings are accuracy and the trigger.  The trigger is simply awful.  I've replaced the plastic striker guide with an aftermarket stainless steel version in hopes of eliminating the "catching" of the trigger.  Did not work but did lighten the pull a little.  The problem is that my finger is too big to actuate the trigger safety before the trigger is pulled.  This results in a substantial clicking and catching sensation when shooting.  If I concentrate and only use the pad of my trigger finger, it solves the issue.  But, my hand is so big that holding my finger out to use only the pad results in an unnatural hold on the pistol.

Also, accuracy is just so-so.  Fine for defensive work, but not fun for target shooting.  I can get around a 4-5" group at 25yds, and about the same at 7yds offhand.  I have gotten around 1" 5-shot groups at 7yds when really concentrating, but they are not consistent.  Everyone that has shot the pistol gets worse results.

So, seeing how much I have ended up carrying the G2c due to it's excellent size, I'd thought I'd look for something very similar in size and capacity.

My first thought was the G26, but it is a tad longer, holds fewer rounds, and is $300 more.

I know there are dozens of good compact 9mms out there, but not sure where to start in terms of similar G2c size and capacity...  And I know I will never find anything close to the $200 price point but would like to keep it around $400.

See the source image

Here are the dimensions of several "Sub-compact" pistols. My personal preference is for the smallest most concealable gun possible and that would be a single stack. But if I were willing to carry a slightly larger gun that would be a double stack but I would still want a gun with the shortest grip because that's the part of the gun that's hardest to conceal. And for that reason I don't want to carry the gun with an extended magazine, although extended mags are good to carry as spares and I wish Glock made FACTORY extended mags for the G43.

My other personal preference is for either a striker fired gun with no thumb safety or a single action gun that can be carried cocked and locked. No DA/SA crunchentickers for me. The Sig P365 would be the perfect gun for me but I think they still need time before they've proved to be reliable after having fired a number of rounds. Glocks are known for long term reliability after having fired thousands of rounds and that makes me lean towards a Glock 43 but it's a little larger than I'd like for it's ammo capacity. 

Double stack

Glock 26
Weight: 21.7 ounces  
Length: 6.41 in.
Height:  4.17 in.
Width: 1.18 in.
barrel length 3.42
Magazine capacity: 10

Taurus Millennium G2c
Weight: 22.0 ounces  
Length: 6.3 in.
Height:  5.1 in.
Width: 1.25 in.
barrel length 3.2
Mag capacity 12

Sig P365
Weight: 17.8 oz 
Length: 5.80 in
Height:  4.30 in.
Width: 1.00 in.
barrel length 3.10in
Magazine capacity: 10

HK P30SK
Weight 23.99 oz
Length 6.42 in.
Height 4.57 in.  
Width 1.37 in.  
Barrel length 3.27
Mag capacity 10

FNS 9c
Weight: 23.4 oz.
Length: 6.7″
Height: 5.2"
Width: 1.35"
Barrel Length: 3.60″
Mag capacity 10

Single stack

Ruger LC9 pro
Weight17.2 oz
Overall Length 6"
Height 4.50
Width0.90"
Barrel Length 3.12"
Mag capacity 7

Walther PPS
Height:4.9" (7 round mag)
Weight 21.1 oz
Length:  6.3"
Width: 1.0
Barrel Length:3.18"
Mag capacity 6

Glock 43
Weight 17.95 oz. 
Length:  6.26 in. 
Height: 4.25 in.
Width: 1.02 in.  
Barrel Length: 3.39 in.
Mag capacity 6

S&W Shield 9mm
Weight: 19.0 oz  
Length: 6.1″ 
Height: 4.6″ 
Width: 0.94″
Barrel Length: 3.1″
Ammo capacity 7

Kahr CM, PM9
Weight 14.0 oz
Length:  5.42" in. 
Height: 4.0" in.
Width: .90 in.  
Barrel Length: 3.0 in.
Mag capacity 6

Kimber Micro 9
Weight: 15.6 oz.
Length: 6.1″
Height:4.01"
Width: 1.06"
Barrel Length: 3.15″
Mag capacity 6
Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3

If your heart is set on a 9mm, I think you have to favor the P365 mentioned in your post. I think they've now on their 3rd iteration, and chances are they've worked out the kinks. I rented one at the range, which had presumably been put through the ringer, and it was perfect. Incredibly small too, for what it is.  I found it too heavy in dress pants compared to my pocket 380. However if I was going to carry a tiny 9mm...

Try one out anyway. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Yeah, I don't need a tiny 9mm.  The size of the G2c is perfect and holds 12 rounds.  I could go a little bigger or a little smaller but want at least 10 rounds.

If you're willing to go a little bigger a Glock 19 carries 15 rounds and has a much better trigger, no safety to have to mess with, and Glocks are known for their reliability even after firing many thousands of rounds. Basically they don't wear out and you can buy a used one and get a good gun as long as someone hasn't messed with the trigger.

• Like 1

You're right that there are many options.

One option, if you really like your XDS for size and feel, but are looking to switch from .40 to 9mm, would be get the XDS 9 and pick up an extra round.  Or, if you like XD, do as you yourself suggested and just move up to their double stack.

If you are giving thought to a Glock 26, you don't have to go with less ammo as they do make 12 round mags for the G26, both OEM and aftermarket by Magpul:

WP_20170509_12_36_05_Pro.thumb.jpg.fe596f4a56230bc5aa0957a938e44edd.jpg

OEM 10 rnd, Magpul 12 rnd, OEM 12 rnd.  

WP_20170509_12_39_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.a99d8128d52d385fbfb724d864298d13.jpg

While I don't have a G2c to compare, I suspect the G26 even with one of the 12 round mags might still be shorter in height than the Taurus.

I've only had it out once for a brief occasion, but my new G26 gen 5 seems to shoot noticeably better than my G26 gen 3 or my G43.  Maybe it's beginner's luck on a new pistol or some combination of the smaller gen4/5 grip, the "marksman" barrel of the gen5, or the aftermarket Ameriglo sights; but, whatever the explanation, I'm excited to get more time in on my G26 gen5.   Same distance, same ammo, same rate of fire:

1887750721_Glock9Comparisons7yrdsquickaimed.thumb.jpg.a30f6c849becc0db254fd48bb2023e4f.jpg

Edited by Maccabeus
  • Like 2

And, while I have neither an XDS nor a G2c, there are various internet pictures easily found showing the similarity of height between a Shield and an XDS.

Here is a Shield between an OEM G26 12 rounder and the Magpul version.

By comparing your G2c to the almost Shield sized XDS, you can get a ballpark height comparison of the G26 and the G2c. 

IMG_20180904_105034508.thumb.jpg.dfc954702f4a9b7f23a1f6944b05ca8f.jpg

IMG_20180904_105115090.thumb.jpg.ffe02b1e801a65aed254e3e5964d357c.jpg

IMG_20180904_104923391.thumb.jpg.b02492ddab88245ae626eabb9e36bd6f.jpg

Also, the G26 gives you the option of 10 or 12 in the gun with backup mags that can be 10, 12, 15, 17, or 33 - whatever your pocket or waistline can tolerate.

I'm not necessarily trying to sell you on the G26 (personally, I usually carry the G43 or a G30S), but maybe the visuals could help you think through your decision.

• Like 1

The G26 is the obvious choice in my opinion.  It’s got the P320 best in size, sleekness, and bore axis. The full size P320 shoots like a dream, but on the sub-compacts the Bore axis feels really unbalanced. 

My G26 is boring to me. It’s not a fun gun to carry. It has no panache if that makes sense. But it’s reliable, easy to carry, and shoots like a larger frame gun. It’s also very versatile. Lots of mag and floorplate options. It can be a 10+1 ankle gun or a 12+1 belt gun with a G17 mag carried for a reload. 

I carry one off duty about 50% of the year, and it’s my backup at work everyday. I never have a problem shooting 100’s our yearly quals with it, and it reloads with the mags on my belt. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

I've only had it out once for a brief occasion, but my new G26 gen 5 seems to shoot noticeably better than my G26 gen 3 or my G43.  Maybe it's beginner's luck on a new pistol or some combination of the smaller gen4/5 grip, the "marksman" barrel of the gen5, or the aftermarket Ameriglo sights; but, whatever the explanation, I'm excited to get more time in on my G26 gen5.   Same distance, same ammo, same rate of fire:

1887750721_Glock9Comparisons7yrdsquickaimed.thumb.jpg.a30f6c849becc0db254fd48bb2023e4f.jpg

It was the target.

Edited by fortyofforty
  • Confused 1

On 9/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, PNWguy said:

Or the Springfield XD Mod.2 3"...

See the source image

This. If you like the XD, why not got the sub-compact mod 2? The gun holds like 13 rounds in the factory magazine, and 15 with a plus 2. They are about G26 size, and a little oversized to pocket carry. I put a rubber stick on grip on mine, and a +2. Since I went to a compact, and feel undergunned with a 9mm. I have 15 +1 rounds of 147 grain +P HST's in the gun, and carry the full sized magazine as a back up.

20170427_155037.jpg

3 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I have and really like my CZ 75B Compact. A little heavy since it is all steel but accurate/reliable and DA/SA. 

I took a brief look at one of those in the store last week and I just looked at the specs on the CZ site. It is a nice little gun. I have other 9mms that fill the same niche so I won't be getting one but I can see and feel why you like it.. 

I went to the nearest gun shop with a decent selection and handled and dry-fired a bunch of pistols.  The only two that came close to the G2c in terms of size and capacity were the Glock 26 (with the 12rd magazine) and the S&W M&Pc.  

All other contenders they had were 1/2" to 3/4" longer, fatter, and only had 10 round capacity.  Pretty much a ton of contenders for the G19; seems every manufacturer is gunning for the Glock.

Best choice in the bargain category would be the Ruger American compact.  Surprisingly impressive little pistol for around $300.  I fondled it, the SR9C, the HK VP9c, Sig Sauer P320c (liked it as well), the G26, G19, M&P9c, and another G2 they had there so I could compare them all size wise.  

The G2c they had also had the horrible trigger so it was nice to know it wasn't just my gun.  The most expensive one was the VP9c at $630 and the cheapest was the Ruger American at $429.  But my area makes it impossible to buy guns; everyone is so ridiculously overpriced that I order online.  They wanted $279 for the Taurus G2c and you can get them online for $199.

So, not sure what I'll get.  Either the G26 or the M&P9c.  I can get blue label pricing on the G26, but there are frequently fire sales on the M&Ps, so...

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I went to the nearest gun shop with a decent selection and handled and dry-fired a bunch of pistols.  The only two that came close to the G2c in terms of size and capacity were the Glock 26 (with the 12rd magazine) and the S&W M&Pc.  

All other contenders they had were 1/2" to 3/4" longer, fatter, and only had 10 round capacity.  Pretty much a ton of contenders for the G19; seems every manufacturer is gunning for the Glock.

Best choice in the bargain category would be the Ruger American compact.  Surprisingly impressive little pistol for around $300.  I fondled it, the SR9C, the HK VP9c, Sig Sauer P320c (liked it as well), the G26, G19, M&P9c, and another G2 they had there so I could compare them all size wise.  

The G2c they had also had the horrible trigger so it was nice to know it wasn't just my gun.  The most expensive one was the VP9c at $630 and the cheapest was the Ruger American at $429.  But my area makes it impossible to buy guns; everyone is so ridiculously overpriced that I order online.  They wanted $279 for the Taurus G2c and you can get them online for $199.

So, not sure what I'll get.  Either the G26 or the M&P9c.  I can get blue label pricing on the G26, but there are frequently fire sales on the M&Ps, so...

The M&P compact is a nice gun, and shoots very well. I toyed with the idea of making it a carry gun, but never got around to getting a holster for it. I've been carrying an XD sub-compact mod2 for the last few months. I don't have any experience with the Ruger American compact, but if it's anything like the full sized gun, it would be decent.

My Brother bought a full sized one last year and it was quite impressive for the price. 

12 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Both great, reliable pistols.  I suppose, you'll need to decide what other factor is of more importance to you: shootability, size, comfort in hand, price, etc.

For me, even as a long time S&W fan and as someone who likes the look of their M&P line, I'm always looking for the smallest size in a given class because of my build.  Based on that, the G26 wins over the 9c (certainly over the new 2.0, but even over the smaller 1.0 model).

Random internet search pics:

2023242688_G26vsMP9c2.jpg.70c6c775aca91505dc3c6786989dbf75.jpg

As always, the Glock is blockier (above), but definitely smaller overall (below).

1152704719_G26vsMP9c.jpg.2191a470f49b4e59ce4c840e06232f58.jpg

• Like 1