Last time you swam in something other than a pool?

PNWguy

1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

I was about to say that looked like fun until you mentioned that.  Now, I'm shivering just thinking of it.

Lakes Michigan and Upper Silver are not cold!

Lake Superior is. never gets warm! been there in the last two years, did NOT get past the edge!

• Like 1

It's been a long time.

Growing up, everyone I know learned to swim in an abandoned Granite Quarry.  No beach, no shallow water, just straight down and Spring fed.  If you just hung vertically in the water your feet would be freezing and the rest of your body was comfortable.

The rule for kids was "sink or swim".  No one that I knew ever drowned.  Was a great place to dump stolen cars too.

The state would stock Trout in the abandoned quarries, so sometimes while you were not moving the fingerlings would start "nuzzling all over your body".  Super clean.  So much so that the DNR would pull up dump trucks occasionally to dump feed into the stocked quarry.

• Like 1

Yesterday. Took the kiddos to the beach. I don’t do freshwater and hate pools.

It’s kind of surreal to me. I have to drive at least four hours to get to a beach now. As a kid it was within walking distance and the beaches were a whole lot better.

• Like 1

as   a kid  we did and we had 2 rock quarries we jumped off cliffs  when we were teenagers , but with water and ponds  and flesh eating  bacteria  i only swim in a pool or ocean ,  to much  ick in fresh waters   ,,,,  we have a local lake i remember as a kid  on weekends everyone would go and pic nic and have good time  , those days are long gone and that lake  now i would not scuba dive in ,    and having place at beach we can just walk out and swim ,  plus  alot of lakes around here have closed  public beaches   several times a year from bacteria  ,  no way im going in ,  

• Like 1

The last time I went swimming was in a beautiful alpine lake; water in the high 30s or low 40.  Swam out to the middle and floated on my back and tried to fall asleep.  Close - managed a dreamy almost asleep state, but never actually fell asleep.  

Refreshing break after a long day of hiking! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cali-Glock said:

water in the high 30s or low 40.  Swam out to the middle and floated on my back and tried to fall asleep.  Close - managed a dreamy almost asleep state, but never actually fell asleep. 

Yeah....  That was a symptom of hypothermia...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, refugeepj said:

Lakes Michigan and Upper Silver are not cold!

Lake Superior is. never gets warm! been there in the last two years, did NOT get past the edge!

You. are. a. LIAR! I was just there in July. First time ever. seen locals in swim trunks and bikinis and figured the water must be warm. It was in fact not. Matter of fact I don't trust anybody from that area any more. "the waters not too bad today", my ass it aint!

1 hour ago, Heehaw said:

You. are. a. LIAR! I was just there in July. First time ever. seen locals in swim trunks and bikinis and figured the water must be warm. It was in fact not. Matter of fact I don't trust anybody from that area any more. "the waters not too bad today", my ass it aint!

compare Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, then tell me again!

Lake Superior is COLD. in comparison, Lake Michigan is not.

• Like 1

The posts here reminded me that the last time I went swimming was on vacation in Hawaii.  I have been in fresh water all my life, never once in Salt water.

I went in, and damn near couldn't get underwater.  It was a chore to get under.  I was astounded at the difference.  I could swim quite well in my youth, and was comfortable with being in the water, but I had never been in water that tried to push me out. 

I'm somewhat surprised that people drown in Salt water.  If you simply relax it pushes you to the surface.  It was quite the experience.

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

...I'm somewhat surprised that people drown in Salt water.  If you simply relax it pushes you to the surface.  It was quite the experience.

Not for all of us.  The only place I can float is in the Dead Sea.  Worse, in fresh water, I float about 8" below the surface.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

Not for all of us.  The only place I can float is in the Dead Sea.  Worse, in fresh water, I float about 8" below the surface.

I lived in Hawaii for a couple of years and spent a lot of time in the ocean.  Never noticed any increased buoyancy.

However, I did visit the Great Salt Lake in Utah and swam.  Definitely noticed that I didn't sink at all.  Very difficult to dive under water.

• Like 1