Last time you swam in something other than a pool?

PNWguy

Went to the lake this weekend and took the boat to a swim dock and hung out for a couple of hours drinking, listening to music, and swimming with my dad and my son and his girlfriend.  Went to the same swim dock a couple of weeks earlier for my brother's bachelor weekend.

Every summer, I swim at least a couple of times in either a river or lake.  Friend of mine at work thought that was the most redneck thing you could do and thought swimming in anything other than a pool was gross.  I haven't swam in a pool in years.  In fact, I don't remember the last time I swam in a pool.  May have been at a friend's backyard pool in Arizona in 2009...

When's the last time you swam in something other than a swimming pool?

Obligatory lake pics...

dworshakswim.jpg.417f65b25b1a92750312eaf0edb805bc.jpg

IaNvT39Nee2_oYZzPykOLFk6JpjWLuNCbgfEK9CL2rUpX92IB.jpg.c2aeac165c1eccc378795869e656fe89.jpgOWmuNcGIY9dkTnhyQfYL-sVCr7aKqGY8egbQJ8Cs3E0pX92IB.jpg.7ea0c59c0a69f6013c79892d896ceb57.jpg

• Like 3

I swim in my gym pool a couple times a week. Only cardio i like. I travel a lot for work and enjoy hotel pools. 

I enjoy swimming in a lake but theres only like 3 months a year warm enough here. About a month ago i went to san diego and swam in the ocean, much warmer year round. Having waves is a ton of fun, cant recreate waves and body surfing in a pool.

11 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Your dad's a human / racoon hybrid?

I haven't swam in a public pool since I took a state-mandated pool manager course a couple of decades ago.

I know that most all rivers / lakes / oceans aren't any better, but still.

That's me...  Blocked out my face partially after learning the hard way on GT that people are dicks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DieselMcBadass said:

I swim in my gym pool a couple times a week. Only cardio i like. I travel a lot for work and enjoy hotel pools. 

I enjoy swimming in a lake but theres only like 3 months a year warm enough here. About a month ago i went to san diego and swam in the ocean, much warmer year round. Having waves is a ton of fun, cant recreate waves and body surfing in a pool.

I swim 3-5 miles per week. Indoor 25yd gym pool. I’d love to have access to a 50m pool. 

In response to the OP, I have no problem swimming in lakes and rivers. Grew up doing it. 

I’m not a big fan of swimming in the ocean though. 

Well we're building a new storm water treatment area near the top of Lake Okeechobee. About a month ago I needed to read something and took off my Raybans and set them down on a water gate structure to put my readers on. The wind blew them Into the canal. Now I have another pair of Raybans, a pair of Oakley's,  and two pair of Costa's, but said Raybans were my favorite and no longer sold. I spent a week trying to fish them out with a makeshift graple hook and a string with no luck. So after a week I took a pair of swim trunks and googles to work. I went for a swim in the canal with gators and water moccasins and retrieved my sunglasses. When I told the wife she was definitely wanting to kick my ass. ?

• Like 2

We snorkeled off of Tunnel Beach in Kauai with the sea turtles last summer. That was the most memorable swim second only to the Columbia Reef off of Cozumel a few years ago. Don't care for the high chlorine content of most pools. The only place close by to swim here is Lake Mead and it is usually pretty murky in most places. Our snorkeling adventure off of the Napali coast was OK, but the boat trip along there was spectacular.

Edited by Desert Kraut
Added information.
  • Like 2

I live in south Mississippi. Lakes and rivers are full of cottonmouths, alligators snapping turtles and the water is generally brown and murky. The ocean ( gulf) is very muddy and the beaches suck unless you head towards Destin, Orange Beach etc. Absolutely no swimming down here for me unless it’s in a pool. Was just the opposite when I lived in Maine.

1 minute ago, Jay S. said:

I live in south Mississippi. Lakes and rivers are full of cottonmouths, alligators snapping turtles and the water is generally brown and murky. The ocean ( gulf) is very muddy and the beaches suck unless you head towards Destin, Orange Beach etc. Absolutely no swimming down here for me unless it’s in a pool. Was just the opposite when I lived in Maine.

Leeches in the lakes here. I dumped the canoe over this spring. I wasn't really swimming cause the water was shallow, but I did go under and had to make my way back to shore. Does that count?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No way, man. We got sharks and gators and moccasins.

Last time I got in natural water, the wife and I were swimming at Daytona Beach by the pier. Damn dolphin came up for air right beside me. Pulled a Jesus on the way out the water, ain't been back in since.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Went to the lake this weekend and took the boat to a swim dock and hung out for a couple of hours drinking, listening to music, and swimming with my dad and my son and his girlfriend.  Went to the same swim dock a couple of weeks earlier for my brother's bachelor weekend.

Every summer, I swim at least a couple of times in either a river or lake.  Friend of mine at work thought that was the most redneck thing you could do and thought swimming in anything other than a pool was gross.  I haven't swam in a pool in years.  In fact, I don't remember the last time I swam in a pool.  May have been at a friend's backyard pool in Arizona in 2009...

Obligatory lake pics...

IaNvT39Nee2_oYZzPykOLFk6JpjWLuNCbgfEK9CL2rUpX92IB.jpg.c2aeac165c1eccc378795869e656fe89.jpgOWmuNcGIY9dkTnhyQfYL-sVCr7aKqGY8egbQJ8Cs3E0pX92IB.jpg.7ea0c59c0a69f6013c79892d896ceb57.jpg

Never seen a pool in lake combo thing like this, pretty cool.

We go to the river and canoe and snorkel a couple times per year. If I didn't have a pool I'd go a lot more. :sport-smiley-027:

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:22 AM, PNWguy said:

Obligatory lake pics...

That's Walt Longmire's beer.

• Like 2