seating 38 special bullet question

james bay area

Hello Everyone.

I started load some 38 special bullets and i realize im not sure how far exactly I am supposed to seat the bullet.

Im using the lee loader with unique powder, 158gr lead round tip bullet, coated...with 4.6gr powder

I took a picture of the two I started with, for some reason they both kind of look wrong..?

The bullet on the left is seated to a depth that i measured off of a 158gr perfecta round, and the bullet on the right is seated to the last rib of the lead.

I tried to do a lot of reading to find my answer but it has been a very long day so i thought maybe someone here might be able to shine some light on what is probably a simple question...

Thanks

IMG_0489.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, james bay area said:

well after reading more i discovered the proper depth would be to crimp on the shallow line just below the ring on top of the bullet, at the same time making sure the over all length is between the specified cartridge dimensions. so i am not going to fire either of those

That shallow groove is a crimp groove crimp it there and you should be good to go. I would not worry about shooting the two in the picture.

4 minutes ago, james bay area said:

Thanks for the input, that makes me feel better moving forward.. better to be safe than sorry. 

Cant wait to load up more n get to the range

I strongly suggest a proper reloading book like the Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual.

It explains all the steps in great detail, and offers a lot of reloading data for both handguns and rifles. You can easily grenade your firearm (and hand) - reloading is a fun hobby, but it requires knowledge to be on the safe side.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HH08L1A

661989.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.