Survivor recalls deadly encounter with polar bears

minervadoe

Survivor recalls deadly encounter with polar bears

This one makes you think twice before going camping again.   It's like jaws, but with paws. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/polar-bear-kimmirut-nunavut-death-1.4803481

A Nunavut hunter who survived a polar bear attack that killed one of his friends last week says the encounter started when a mother bear and her cub approached their camp. 

the mother bear bit into Uttak's head. It then chased down Kaunak, who was running away, and mauled him.

Ijjangiaq said he shot the bear with his rifle, but it jammed. He got another rifle, shot the animal again and killed it. The cub was shot as well. 

in the following days, as the hunters huddled with the body of their friend, waiting to be rescued, several other bears circled their camp.

"More bears approached us," said Ijjangiaq, who said he shot and killed them. "I told my friend that I will take all criminal responsibility for every bear that we kill."

The men sheltered in the cab of their boat until they were rescued Tuesday, after they were spotted by a search helicopter from the icebreaker CCGS Louis St-Laurent. 

Ijjangiaq said he and Uttak heard the aircraft and ran out to signal with fire and smoke. The survivors refused to leave Kaunak's remains behind, and it took three men to carry the body into the helicopter, he said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3