Shooting steel with .22lr, ? safe distance

ARP

I recently acquired a small group of steel targets (3/8" AR500) and my plan is to go to my local range and practice. My CZ P-09 is running the Kadet .22lr conversion kit, my AR also has the CMMG .22lr conversion kit as well as I have a Sig 522. Today I was able to get out and build a few target stands at the range(they had an event going on, I don't think I was permitted to shoot while another event was going on), the plates will be hanging from a piece of chain between 2 stick uprights, so the plates have some give when struck. I will of course be wearing PPE while shooting. In the past while shooting steel with .22lr, the bullet has shattered and sprayed me, a little, nothing to get excited about, unsure how close I was when that happened, was a while ago. So what is the recommended safe distance? 15 yrds minimum? I have about 35yds available on the range to have the targets set out, was planning to stay back at least 20 yds and move back.

And for those who want to be critical about me neutering my CZ and AR, I do this to work on fundamentals, reloads, transitions cheaply. I will also work with my CZ EVO and reconvert my CZ P-09 or use my Canik SP9SF or G19. Can't run the AR on the pistol range with .223. Would not whack the 3/8" steel with it anyway. 

I shot hand gun .22 rounds at a minimum of 10 yards, double that for .22 rifle rounds. We have 8" & 10" 1/2" thick plates. You can change the angle of the plates hanging from chains by adding washers to your mounting hardware. One of my family members has plates like yours and that is how I know you can change the angle. Ours are held by a cap on a 2x4 with a hook on it, the naturally angle downward.

Cowboy Action shooters shoot at steel targets as close as 5 yards away all the time.  Of course the targets are angled to deflect fragments towards the ground and lead bullets are a must.  When my 13 year old was starting out six years ago he shot .22s at targets that close with no problem.  Be sure not to use jacketed rounds and to wear eye and ear protection.  You'll get some splash back but nothing serious.

Okay, back from the range! I'm always critical of myself, like when I ski I always work on my form, if I were watching me from the lift would think he has good form.

It went better than I hoped, I shot my Sig 522 rifle at 25 yds, had 3 8" plates set up, really only used 2. I felt I was stiff and slow in movement and was thinking slowly thru the drill which was just very basic low ready, up, safety off while final acquiring the target, fire, lower, safety on, repeat. Also worked well on keeping both eyes open. After a while I was doing two rounds on target, tried a V shoot at 2 targets. Developing that muscle memory. Some times I felt like my shoulders were bladed somewhat and not square to the target. Had a lot of feed problems with the Winchester M22 ammo. Going to try some other I have like the Federal Match. When things ran well, I was hitting the target consistently. Was happy with that.

I wish I could have stayed longer, it was so damn humid that I was completely soaked and the sun was in my face to the point that I struggled to see the target even with sunglasses on. And sweat was leaking across them as well and fogging up. Miserable. But I am going back tomorrow to re enforce my bad habits. I can see that a lot of what I was working on today can be done dry in my house. Will begin working in a left right scan at the end of each string of fire. Lots of practice will be required to smooth out the motions.

In other important news, I got a new mattress and toilet seat today, really looking forward to breaking them in!

Edited by ARP

Make sure the plates are angled slightly downward, and you should be fine shooting at 10yds and out.  Of course, everyone in the area (not just the shooter) should be wearing eye protection.  Also, when around steel being shot, if I have to remove my glasses for any reason, I turn my back to the steel.

1 hour ago, njl said:

Make sure the plates are angled slightly downward, and you should be fine shooting at 10yds and out.  Of course, everyone in the area (not just the shooter) should be wearing eye protection.  Also, when around steel being shot, if I have to remove my glasses for any reason, I turn my back to the steel.

The plates are hanging from a length of chain that is attached to 2 wood posts left to right. So they are suspended and swing back and forth when hit. What I discovered today is I am comfortable shooting at 25yds, no longer worried about being close up. The target stands are backed up to a dirt embankment, I don't use the range when others are there. During mid week daytime, I most likely will be the only person there. It is a FUDD range, heavy skeet and trap hunters.

I wear a kinda tac vest when I shoot, I can put extra mags on the front right and on the left is a FAK. I put a good deal of thought into this before buying, when I looked at the situation I see when I am shooting and what if'ed it a bit. Considering where I am and how almost no one is there when I am I have considered the consequences of me not having a phone or FAK/tourniquet in the event of an AD. This place is out in the woods of the Township that I live in. Help would be a long way off. Anyway, the FUDDS razzed me a bit this afternoon when I stopped in to see what the schedule of events looked like this weekend. One said "looks like you're all loaded up for battle" I said most of the stuff was FAK. It was followed up with "well if you are safe, you should not need all that stuff." I just said "stuff happens, no need to be caught without it." 

Life went on, I ate tacos for dinner.

• 1 year later...

I have a number of different size steel targets on my backyard, and 100 yard range.

Normally, like the last several days, I shoot 22LR at steel at about 4 yards and beyond .  Once in A Great While, a very small flake from the bullet will splash back and hit me on the bare skin.  

The hotter the round, the further back I shoot the steel.

Off hand, I can't remember more than a couple times, in 50+ years shooting on my ranges, having my skin scratched and getting a drop of Blood..  

Of course, we all wear eye glasses when shooting.  A sliver of bullet metal that won't break the skin can do damage to your eyes.

1536058635_Backyardtargets.JPG.37fafc7a381600a88f32c8931ae86f16.JPG

625804510_Backyardrange2014.JPG.1e90ffef5d588078713fa0ffbd2db0c4.JPG

Edited by M2 Carbine

• 1 month later...

I always cringe when someone picks up a rifle and gets in close on steel targets on YouTube.   If you get too close with a hollow point, I have personally witnessed a guy get his cheek get cut open.  We would shoot at distance for metal targets, handguns or M-4.  Usually the M-4 on steel was frangible ammo for safety.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:41 AM, M2 Carbine said:

I have a number of different size steel targets on my backyard, and 100 yard range.

Normally, like the last several days, I shoot 22LR at steel at about 4 yards and beyond .  Once in A Great While, a very small flake from the bullet will splash back and hit me on the bare skin.  

The hotter the round, the further back I shoot the steel.

Off hand, I can't remember more than a couple times, in 50+ years shooting on my ranges, having my skin scratched and getting a drop of Blood..  

Of course, we all wear eye glasses when shooting.  A sliver of bullet metal that won't break the skin can do damage to your eyes.

1536058635_Backyardtargets.JPG.37fafc7a381600a88f32c8931ae86f16.JPG

625804510_Backyardrange2014.JPG.1e90ffef5d588078713fa0ffbd2db0c4.JPG

I like the cover, but I can't tell if the roof is slanted or not for the rain.