Smart TV question

pipedreams

If I understand correctly the new smart TV's receive their signal from your router rather through a cable, is that correct?  I currently have cable TV but 90 % of it is not worth watching.  My question is how many channels can one receive without a cable TV subscription?  I see various news outlets streaming when I'm on the internet, is it mostly the news networks or is there other shows broadcasting?  Maybe I'm not posing the right question but I'm trying figure this out so any feedback is welcome.   I use Netflix and it is a WiFi setup so that is the extent of my knowledge.

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

If I understand correctly the new smart TV's receive their signal from your router rather through a cable, is that correct?  I currently have cable TV but 90 % of it is not worth watching.  My question is how many channels can one receive without a cable TV subscription?  I see various news outlets streaming when I'm on the internet, is it mostly the news networks or is there other shows broadcasting?  Maybe I'm not posing the right question but I'm trying figure this out so any feedback is welcome.   I use Netflix and it is a WiFi setup so that is the extent of my knowledge.

For most smart TVs, the answer would be either, or both.  By connecting to the internet via your router you will gain access to content like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and many other streaming apps.  Basically all stuff you could access on your computer or phone with an interface designed to make it such that you don't have to type in  the website to go to the service.  The flip side of that statement it is that generally none of that content is included, it requires subscriptions.  

Your primary tv channels would likely come from one of three locations: and antenna picking up local channels, a cable/satellite provider like you currently have, or a streaming service such as Sling TV (in which case it is back to an internet based service) which has some on demand content but is generally more like cable with specific channels (to include ESPN and a variety of other "cable" channels) showing things on a fixed schedule.

• Thanks 1

Many (I don't know about most) smart TVs forgo a built in tuner and must have the signal processed through a cable or satellite converter box.  Mine doesn't have any antenna inputs so all input must come from the internet or converter box.

All of your streaming media is delivered by your internet provider.  Which streaming apps you use determine what content you receive.

Edited by syntaxerrorsix

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 6:21 PM, pipedreams said:

Question is confusing so I will try to break it down by signal type:

Cable/Dish/DirectTV - These are done over the appropriate connection - probably an HDMI connection from the "box".

Streaming through Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV/Etc - about the same as Cable or a dish system.  Usually HDMI to the TV from the Roku or other device, and that device will connect either through the Ethernet or WiFi.

Streaming directly to the TV - these are either through an ethernet cable or wireless if the TV has these capabilities.  It's actually more likely nowadays that you'd find one without an Ethernet port than without WiFi.

Antenna - through a Coaxial cable most likely.

Does this answer the question?

• Thanks 1