Bringing a shotgun into Canada

Vito

Soon I will making an extended road trip to the Western U.S., and then up to Vancouver in Canada. I know that bringing a handgun into Canada is a no-go, and I would not be willing to take the chance on getting caught doing so. Plus, several of the other states I will be in would be problematic for me to bring a handgun. But I have thought that maybe I should just take a shotgun, (12 gauge pump, 20 in barrel) so I am not making the entire trip unarmed. What is involved in bringing a shotgun with me to Canada and how much of a hassle is it to do this? Hope some members here on the forum can give me some advice. 

It isn't too difficult. You fill out a form, which is available online. Present that form at the border and pay, I think, $25.00. I believe the permit is good for 90 days. I was in Alaska longer than that, and had to pay again on the way out. I have done it twice. In my case, they never wanted to see the shotgun. The second time, they did spend about 45 minutes searching my truck camper. Maybe they thought that since I had a shotgun and several concealed carry permits, I must have another firearm. I didn't. ? Be absolutely certain that you have no magazines, or stray ammo anywhere in your vehicle! It is unlikely they will ask, but the shotgun is only for protection against wild animals. Good luck!

• Like 1